Reasons NOT to legalise cannabis

when you stop doing something you like doing there are often physical withdrawl symptoms but I think there is a big difference between withdrawl symptoms from something you're psychologically addicted to and physical cravings for something that you're chemically addicted to.

the difference between marijuana and heroin for example.

Well thats what I think anyway. :peace:

I know some people go a bit mental and can't sleep when they stop smoking, thats not a problem for me as I'm a bit mental anyway and never have trouble sleeping even when I'm dry. :peace:

Edited by pipeman

my only reason for not legalizing it is beacuse i know a lot of people would be out of bussness in my country. our laws are spotty to say the least...possesion is rarly inforced and most growers get suspended sentances...this means if your good for a year you won't be convicted and the charges will be droped....it is just enough to keep the states happy on paper and is good enough to keep prices in cheak so people can make money

thats a good point HMOP but just keep in mind that it is not an argument straights would use against legalisation.

but when you think about it we are a minority community who include a lot of people who don't want it legalised. if we can't get unity even within our small minority what chance do we have?

:whistle:

I'm having a little trouble concentrating rite now ,

:toke:

But Hello All Good People ... :)

I've given a few reasons from the straight point of veiw , and I will state more ... (I Believe That These Type Topics Are As Relevant As The Growing Topics) ...

I Don't Believe anyone has posted a decent response relating to Legalization/Decriminalisation yet .. (Long Word eh!?)

lol

As for Addiction ... maybe that best requires Its own Topic ... Not sure ... I guess relevance anywhere is prospectfull ... woop ... I've lost my Train again ...

:)

Till then ... LandLaw Beings ... Stay Well ...

Budman ... Lore....

:yahoo:

Luke the point of this thread is to get people thinking about the issue and posting ideas/arguments. Its not about how cannabis could be legalised.

I know arguments by themselves will not win the war, but we should at least be aware of the arguments and be able to represent ourselves if ever given the opportunity, you know, something a bit more meaningful than generic legalisation slogans.

For example when I was at the Nimbin Mardi Grass I was expecting some, or at least one of the speakers to say something meaningful about law reform, instead the most meangingful statement I heard was "God how about this war on drugs I wish they'd just bloody get over it..." Thankyou very much Michael Balderstone. :whistle:

and aside from all of that, its just something to flex the brain muscles and have something interesting to discuss between each other. I mean debating whether or not promix is classed as hydroponics may be interesting to you, but it doesn't do a lot for me. :yahoo:

Guest niall

Alcohol and Tobacco tax revenue and sales will drop.

Prescription medicine and over the counter remedies will drop.

Drink driving and speeding fine revenues will drop.

Many people will be out of a job.

Yet, to counter-act this, many people who are currently ONLY working to get money to buy their expensive smoko will quit their job if cheap stuff is available or they can move to the bush and grow their own, hassle free. So....unemployment will rise from this too, but could (hopefully?) balance itself out somewhat.

those are some good points, and I think are reasons some groups of people won't want cannabis legalised but they are not arguments that could be used in the open as they have no moral foundation.

Alcohol and Tobacco tax revenue and sales will drop.

Possibly, but by how much? Cannabis in some form will now be able to be taxed. Will the tax from cannabis offset the losses in tobacco and alcohol? I think its pretty likely, as the revenue will only go down marginally, while cannabis has a large number of users so even a small percentage of this now completely untapped revenue source would likely offset the loss of revenue in other areas.

Prescription medicine and over the counter remedies will drop.

Again the drop would be marginal and offset by a myriad of cannabis pills, creams and sprays that will inevitably hit the market.

Drink driving and speeding fine revenues will drop.

I think this is drawing a very long bow. And, in any case, its not an argument that anyone could use against legalisation.

Don't you think the legalisation of an underground culture would create more jobs than it destroys? :whistle:

lol

I like what you have said there Pipeman (and others) ,

Maybe I could have a job doing something I love , But at least I could grow at my leisure and save myself and others a great deal of hassle ...

I don't wish for legislation of taxable MJ , I just want to be free.

I grow herbs and vegetables (And too many weeds) lol And Marijuana is no different IMO. Just another plant from Nature , for the benefit of Humans and animals alike.

lol

What needs changing is the ones who regulate these laws , We cannot have morons in power and expect to see any positive change for this righteous cause , yet I fear very few have the capability to help this now.

lol

So ... I spose my reason is ... Why? , when the governments have fucked up everything else , would we want control of a such a special plant to go to them , I don't think we do ... and Its not so much the laws that need changing (Ofc. they do tho) , firstly ... It is the people who create these unjust laws.

lol

The law of the land , It's what is known , but by few it seems these days.

lol

I had more to say , but that'll do ... Its late/early.

Thx All

Goodbye , From Budman. lol