Is there a reason to legalise cannabis?

:toke:

guys the literal interpretation of the topic title is not the main point of this thread.

:)

This Is One Of My Favourite Things , That I Have Read Here ... :) :) ... Laugh everytime - Good Medicine :)

ThankYou All.

lol Budman ... Out 4 Now. :toke:

Seeya Then ... :whistle:

:yahoo:

(EDIT) - Fucked that Quote didn't I : ) ... Sorry . Btw ... nah forgettit. : ) Goodnight. : )

Edited by Budman2012

Great points, as always everyone. :whistle: Keep up these great topics pipe and fellow contributors. :toke:

The punishment is worse than the crime. Lots of people smoke marijuana in Australia. (Anyone know any stats on this? it would be useful...).

Sure pipe, after much searching around, I managed to procure a copy of A Cannabis User's Harm Reduction Handbook (great book, by Steve Liebke and available online, if anyone cares :)) here's what he has to say...

As the following statistical overview indicates, cannabis consumption is by no means

limited to a particular section or minority of the general Australian population, though

it is certainly a drug of choice for many young people.

Since cannabis emerged once more from relative obscurity and into popular culture in

the 1960’s and 70’s, its use has increased steadily to the present and looks set to

continue this trend into the foreseeable future. In 1973, approximately 20% of 14-19

year olds had tried cannabis. A report by the National Drug Strategy puts that figure in

1995 at 80%. In the same period, lifetime use amongst 20-29 year olds increased from

approximately 12% to about 45% and to nearly 70% in 1998. The 30+ age group has

experienced an increase from 2-3% to about 23% (1995).

In 1998, nearly 40% of the Australian population had ever tried cannabis. This figure

peaked for males in the 20-29 years age group at 68%. Translated into real numbers, in

1998 approximately 5.8 million Australians had used cannabis within their lifetime,

with over 2.6 million having used it in the previous twelve months.

Estimated Numbers of Current Cannabis Users, Aged 14+, 1995.

Daily Use 253,000

Once a week + 455,000

Once a month + 354,000

Every few months 303,000

Once or twice per year 404,000

Less often 303,000

Total 2,072,000

From a total population of 14,440,000, this identifies 14.3% of Australians over 14 years

as current cannabis users (1995). With increases in population and cannabis usage in

the last five years (as well as underreporting due to illegality), it could be expected that

this figure would now be approaching (if not beyond) 2.5 million individuals.

This book was published in 2001, and they're some pretty impressive figures to have on your side. He also mentioned that 19.5% of secondary high school students had used it in the 'past month'. I mean shite, could you imagine when some of these old, whiskey-skulling farts running the country die out and we have 20+% of the population as stoners or pro-pot. Will only be too easy by then. lol

Well, hope this has been somewhat informative, sorry for the long length.

"It was estimated that, in 1995, Australians spent over $5 billion on retail (street) cannabis purchases."

Greedy politicians, stick THAT green ($$$) in your filthy, unwashed tobacco pipe and smoke it!! :toke: :yahoo:

It kills the shit outta your liver too

:peace:

I don't know about that , where is the research that says it is anymore damaging to your liver than our modern western diets , or the air we breath , or the water we drink , medications etc.

I don't think that point has any relevancy ... But it will be good to hear what others think about that , or if anyone has any research about liver effects ...

And Mainly , I wanted to thank Infinitee for his last post with the stats for a few years ago , that book is an excellent read and is available to veiw over the net for free ... go on now , go have a read if you haven't.

A Cannabis Users Harm Reduction Handbook - Steve Liebke. :toke:

Thx.

Bye 4 Now

Budman ... Out. (Constantly flushing liver ... with Beer) :applause:

:peace: