Is there a reason to legalise cannabis?

To leagalise cannabis for medical use would not help the average recreational smoker one iota IMO

for example tobacco is a legal drug to be bought and sold, but the growing, distribution and control of the plant still remains the exclusive domain of multi-national corporations.

Those very same tobacco companys have drawn up plans (albeit some 30 yrs old) relating to the production and distribution of cannabis should it ever change in its legal status.

So i for one would not be happy with those corporations controlling cannabis, look how they have bred a tobacco plant to suit thier ideals, the real tobacco(as used by Native American Indians in their Peace Pipe) is psychoactive in a similar way to cannabis, not to mention how many chemicals the tobacco of today has been treated with.

Pipeman your question "Is there a reason to legalise cannabis?" is arse-about !

the question should be" Is there a reason NOT to legalise cannabis?"

Cannabis is on this planet for a reason, its given by nature for our use, not abuse

Why should mans law dictate what we humans can plant in the feilds?

To everything there is a season,and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted

And a time to smoke cannabis......and that time for me is NOW.

;)

:toke:

Now as to the topic of marijuana addiction

Cannabis is not physically addictive, meaning there is no PHYSICAL withdrawl (shakes, tremors etc)

For a substance to be addictive it needs to alter brain chemicals to a certain level over a certain time, this makes the brain reset what it thinks is the base chemical level, hence when it is not at this level it complains.

Many substances fit into this category, Nicotine(now thought to be the most addictive substance on earth) alcohol, Opiates (heroin, codiene etc) Caffiene.

Cannabis does alter brain chemicals but not to a set level, it is more wave like, so the brain does not have a chance to find a new level.

Phycological addiction is a different story, and effects every person differently.

Dsyfer I agree 500% with your post on cannabis not physically being addictive. :toke:

Further i would like to draw your attention to your previous post:

Wait until more studies start to appear showing posible cancer fighting properties.

Theres no need to wait Dsyfer as there are already volumes of scientific research to warrant further studies into medical applications of THC, but who will fund such studies?

No one will fund such studies, the drug companies will not because there is no outlook for such a drug being authorised by the relevant Government Health Authorities

I Quote from just some of the studies carried out in the past:

* In 2000, Manuel Guzmán at the School of Biology, Complutense University, Spain,led a study which showed that application of THC destroyed otherwise incurable brain cancer tumors in rats. Sadly their research could not continue due to a lack of funding. Other studies cited by Guzmán show that cannabinoids can also help prevent the death of brain cells during a stroke, head trauma and nerve gas exposure

*A 1994 study, which documented that THC may protect against malignant cancers, and which was buried by the US government. The $2 million study, funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services, sought to show that large doses of THC produced cancer in rats. Instead, researchers found that massive doses of THC had a positive effect, actually slowing the growth of stomach cancers. The rats given THC lived longer than their non-exposed counterparts.

* A study published in the July 2002 edition of the medical journal "Blood", which found that THC and some other cannabinoids produced "programmed cell death" in different varieties of human leukemia and lymphoma cell lines, thereby destroying the cancerous cells but leaving other cells unharmed.

* A study published in a 1975 edition of the "Journal of the National Cancer Institute" (U.S.A.), which showed that THC slowed the growth of lung cancer, breast cancer and virus-induced leukemia in rats.

Its a disgrace that so much adverse publicity is generated against Cannabis, yet the postive aspects and research remains in the main part hidden from view.

;)

ok ;)

I dont want to beg to differ so I will , Gday Dsyfer btw. :peace: , Ive enjoyed your intelligent posts throughout this whole site and look forward to more.

(diplomacy - Check)

:bleh:

MJ may not be classified as physically addictive , but it is addictive (to sum more than others) , Ive seen these withdrawal symptoms in others before and have experienced them myself.

Although ... It is much easier to "break the habit" with MJ for reasons You have already listed.

But as for shakes , cold sweats , dipression and any other common withdrawal symptoms Ive seen em all.

I have always thought that all addiction is in the mind and then it is the mind that creates the physical addiction.

:toke: :toke:

ok ... Hey maybe its all in my mind. ;) :)

Seeya guyz lol

(EDIT) oh Gday Frazzle ./.. U beat me to the post ;)

Edited by Budman2012

ok ;)

I dont want to beg to differ so I will , Gday Dsyfer btw. :peace: , Ive enjoyed your intelligent posts throughout this whole site and look forward to more.

(diplomacy - Check)

:bleh:

MJ may not be classified as physically addictive , but it is addictive (to sum more than others) , Ive seen these withdrawal symptoms in others before and have experienced them myself.

Although ... It is much easier to "break the habit" with MJ for reasons You have already listed.

But as for shakes , cold sweats , dipression and any other common withdrawal symptoms Ive seen em all.

I have always thought that all addiction is in the mind and then it is the mind that creates the physical addiction.

:toke: :toke:

ok ... Hey maybe its all in my mind. lol ;)

Seeya guyz ;)

(EDIT) oh Gday Frazzle ./.. U beat me to the post :)

There always will be exceptions, no one substance will effect everyone the same, what I meant was as an overall substance cannabis is not addictive to the majority, unlike nicotine or alcohol which is.

Guest niall

It's ass-about yes:

Was there a reason to make it illegal in the first place? What do we gain by prohibiting it? Would society benefit more by regulating and taxing it, or by prohibiting it and suffering from an irrepressible, criminal market.

Given that on the black market cannabis sells for, say $300-400 an ounce, and according to threads here on OzStoners it costs a personal-use grower maybe $10-20 per ounce to produce, just think what legal, commercial, regulated cultivators could produce it for - you're talking cents a pound! Yes, there will be a significant sin-tax, but the raw cost will drop, wholesale prices will drop, retail prices will drop. Regulation has its costs, but the overall cost to society is far less - STOP WASTING MY FUCKING TAX DOLLARS YOU CUNTS! :toke:

I believe that $40-50 an ounce is realistic, and achievable. However, I personally don't agree that people should be using it like tobacco (let alone every day, but each to their own) but more like tobacco - responsible use by adults in licensed premises or the home. Grow your own, consistent with homebrew beer and wine, but you cannot sell it - and who would (or could) when anyone can buy a premium quality product, in more attractive forms (hash, oil, lozenges, beverages, snacks, entire meals, sprays, balms and oils, vapourisation discs....) for a few dollars down at your local.

What was there to be gained in making it illegal, and what is to be gained by keeping it illegal? It's all about cost vs. benefit. It is cheaper, better, safer and fundamentally more sensible to regulate and tax this industry. Period.

:toke:

Couldn't have put it better myself (noserious) :thumbsup:

Theyre a strange bunch those ones - I dont know what the hell their tryin to prove ... But I dont like where it's going. :toke:

Good 1 - Yeah i was just reminded of one little thing - I think the majority who would consume MJ if legalized ,

Would mostly be the ones who already do it now. :thumbsup: But it could be restricted from kids a lil easier if dad could go and buy his smoko at any tobacconist (they'll have to change the name?) for $5 a packet and turn it into a process of normality(WATISTHAT).That way dad doesnt have to have plants and large stashes lyin around for the naughty kiddys to nick-a-bud . Yes , Is there even anyone runnun' shit round here (What do all these morons do except make money and Make shit more fucked) :) Imade myself a lil angry :)

(phew) I blame the goverment because it sue as shit isnt my fault. ;) :thumbsup:

Fkthegvrnmnt. :toke:

* In 2000, Manuel Guzmán at the School of Biology, Complutense University, Spain,led a study which showed that application of THC destroyed otherwise incurable brain cancer tumors in rats. Sadly their research could not continue due to a lack of funding. Other studies cited by Guzmán show that cannabinoids can also help prevent the death of brain cells during a stroke, head trauma and nerve gas exposure

*A 1994 study, which documented that THC may protect against malignant cancers, and which was buried by the US government. The $2 million study, funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services, sought to show that large doses of THC produced cancer in rats. Instead, researchers found that massive doses of THC had a positive effect, actually slowing the growth of stomach cancers. The rats given THC lived longer than their non-exposed counterparts.

* A study published in the July 2002 edition of the medical journal "Blood", which found that THC and some other cannabinoids produced "programmed cell death" in different varieties of human leukemia and lymphoma cell lines, thereby destroying the cancerous cells but leaving other cells unharmed.

* A study published in a 1975 edition of the "Journal of the National Cancer Institute" (U.S.A.), which showed that THC slowed the growth of lung cancer, breast cancer and virus-induced leukemia in rats.

Does this mean that, in general, we stoners can expect to live longer than our non-tokin neighbours? :toke: :toke: :thumbsup: :toke: :thumbsup:

Wait till I tell this to my mother! :thumbsup:

niall, imo I think you're heading in the wrong direction :toke:

Most of our primary industries are destroying our environment and our health :toke:

and on a global scale are not sustainable in the long term (especially with a soaring human population!) :toke:

The future health of humans on this planet relies upon self sufficiency, at least at a local/regional level.

Why couldn't canabis be legalized/decriminalized solely for home growing?

(Aside from the fact that the laws are made by greedy oppressors that is :thumbsup:)

Besides, commercial pot is bad enough now, imagine the preservatives, flavour enhancers, colouring etc. that corporations would be adding to your smoke!

For the same reasons that I grow more and more of my own fruit & veg, I will always grow my own pot.

The health of our children depends upon it.

Remember it's only my opinion :thumbsup:

Good to see ya here BBBudman :)

Surely if dad keeps his stash where the cops can't find it, it'll be 'out of reach of children'.

Plus i think i'd rather my future teenagers gettin into my pot than into my rum :thumbsup:

My first hangovers were much worse than my first sessions :)

guys the literal interpretation of the topic title is not the main point of this thread.

if you re read my original post it is asking for positive reasons we can give to non smokers why cannabis should be legalised. Yes we know many legal drugs are already more addictive and damaging to your health, and that there was no logical reason to legislate against mj in the first place, but these are not positive reasons to legalise to a non smoker.

and its not really about medicinal mj either. there is enough evidence to make that argument. my question was what OTHER reasons can we come up with why it should be legalised?