Is there a reason to legalise cannabis?

other than the fact you want to get high?

ok, for most of us that is good enough reason in itself, but its not a very good argument to people who don't smoke, and we need their support. so we need some better arguments.

medicinal use? Yeah maybe. Mainly for relief of nausea and to make the patient feel better but no direct medicinal value in most cases. Still, any drug which is not physically addictive and has minimal side effects and health risks and makes patients feel better must be a good thing. Do we have support from the medical community on this? I don't think so. In my own experience speaking with Doctors they seem to be of the opinion that in most cases narcotics are much more effective to those in serious pain, based purely on patient feedback.

So overall, what kind of support is out there for the medicinal use of cannabis? I reckon its mostly stoners who got sick in one way or the other, because weed makes their life a bit more liveable even if it didn't help directly with their health problems. But hey if we can get the law to allow Doctors to prescribe cannabis pills or tinctures to the wives of politicians then we really might start seeing some change. A politician seeing his wife dying of breast cancer taking cannabis pills as her only source of relief has to give you a different perspective. :toke:

What other reasons can we give non stoners to support the legalisation of cannabis?

Doctors to prescribe cannabis pills or tinctures to the wives of politicians then we really might start seeing some change. A politician seeing his wife dying of breast cancer taking cannabis pills as her only source of relief has to give you a different perspective.
I'm using some pretty heavy opiates at the moment for fairly intense pain in my back, legs and shoulder, there is a 99% chance that I will be taking them for the rest of my life but no doctor or politician seems to be campaigning for the legalisation of heroin for recreational use so why should it be any different with cannabis?

:toke:

I'm not saying they would but to get it legalised for medicinal use only would be a good start.

And I also know more than one Doctor who supports the controlled distribution of heroin to all addicts. Heroin is a relatively harmless drug except for overdosing. It causes some atrophy of the brain stem but hey life just isn't worth living unless you're killing at least some brain cells. The major health and social risks with heroin is the nature of the life you need to lead when you're on it because its illegal. So controlled distribution from Doctors would remove the overdose risk and solve some of the social problems associated with the addiction so it makes sense.

But an important distinction is, marijuana is not physically addictive as is hearoin and there is no health danger in overdosing as there is with heroin. Not only should this argument make it easier to get mj in for medicinal use, but it should make it easier to eventually get it legalised for recreational use.

In other words it is a drug that can be legalised without opening the door for other drugs, because unlike most other medicinal drugs, it is not addictive and there is no danger in overdosing.

maybe Dysfer. But I think the problem is most people drink, whereas most people don't smoke.

the other difference is alcohol prohibition was only a recent law introduced through pressure groups not by popular demand, whereas cannabis prohibition is long standing and accepted by the majority of people.

Don't agree with prohibiting any drugs personally. :toke:

Maybe cannabis needs to highlight itself from amongst the other drugs. Good education of the non smoking community would be the way. How to get it out there tho... disseminate the seed of truth.. ;) Not sure how, but advertising is how prohibition is sold to us.

Maybe mull leaf stickers with legalize it, could start appearing everywhere... (I saw one the other day, in a magazine not related to cannabis and it really stood out well... :peace: don't know how it got in there :bleh: but good work to the editors )

For recreational use - it's easy to rope in tobacco and alcohol as negative examples. Just highlight something out of context and mass advertise it...say like how it's done now! E.g. drunken youth smashing things and then later throwing up on his missus - switch over to the same kid smoking weed and he's sitting on the couch with his missus, calmly eating chips and playing xbox.

How to get the money for the add campaign :) :toke: lol

But even for moderate social drinkers. They need to see that its no different to a session around a mull bowl. Both leave you slighly intoxicated, and no hangover for the billys.

Or the 2 beers/wines a night kind of person unwinding after a long day, is no different to the person skinning up a spliff to unwind.

The overdose limits alone should be enough to legalize cannabis for recreational use!

It's the emperor wearing no clothes reality I spose.

You can legally go out and binge on alcohol which has a 4 times intox overdose limit. So if you drink 4 times the amount that gets you pissed, you are DEAD. And this happens.

You can sit down illegally and smoke an ounce whilst spotting hash on it and NEVER DIE from overdose. Might be fairly lost tho ;), but definitely alive.

For medicinal.

It hasn't taken the pharm industry long to sell the idea of myriad drugs for mental illness. Sometimes it seems they make up mental illness' to suit their drugs. Now it's very common for people to take SSRI's, MAO's and fairly well accepted in the community. These drugs are meant for daily use and to be taken for life - so I was told. This depends on how long your body can handle the side effects inflicted. At the present the long term side effects are mostly unknown too. Also it would be handy if the actual drugs were fully effective against the symptoms being treated.

Cannabis works for trauma related mental illness, treatment, maintenance and recovery/ as close to as possible.

The side effects, you feel better than you did. Grow your own medicine, less dependant, more empowered, more self respect.

The negative side effect, paranoia, is in direct proportion to prohibition and community unacceptence IMO (personal tolerance level is naturally balanced with quantity consumed also).

;)

Short answer - yep!

To leagalise cannabis for medical use would not help the average recreational smoker one iota IMO

for example tobacco is a legal drug to be bought and sold, but the growing, distribution and control of the plant still remains the exclusive domain of multi-national corporations.

Those very same tobacco companys have drawn up plans (albeit some 30 yrs old) relating to the production and distribution of cannabis should it ever change in its legal status.

So i for one would not be happy with those corporations controlling cannabis, look how they have bred a tobacco plant to suit thier ideals, the real tobacco(as used by Native American Indians in their Peace Pipe) is psychoactive in a similar way to cannabis, not to mention how many chemicals the tobacco of today has been treated with.

Pipeman your question "Is there a reason to legalise cannabis?" is arse-about !

the question should be" Is there a reason NOT to legalise cannabis?"

Cannabis is on this planet for a reason, its given by nature for our use, not abuse

Why should mans law dictate what we humans can plant in the feilds?

To everything there is a season,and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted

And a time to smoke cannabis......and that time for me is NOW.

And I also know more than one Doctor who supports the controlled distribution of heroin to all addicts. Heroin is a relatively harmless drug except for overdosing.

even if the doctors gave out as much smack as the junkies wanted for free of charge, it would still cause major problems in the community because there would be more public junkies, you know the type that sit around in the local park nodding off and then relizing they are awake :peace: and if they were given a decent amount of herion and didnt use it all, they could eventually start shipping it off to other countries where herion is illegal to make lots of money :bleh:

But an important distinction is, marijuana is not physically addictive as is hearoin and there is no health danger in overdosing as there is with heroin.

i cant really see a distinction between a drug that is mentally or physically addictive because isnt your mind part of your body? i dunno about the rest of you, but if for some reason i dont have any pot to smoke for 4 days or more, its like walking on eggshells with me and all i wanna do is suck down some bong hits ;) basically im just one big arse hole with drugs on my mind :toke:

In other words it is a drug that can be legalised without opening the door for other drugs, because unlike most other medicinal drugs, it is not addictive and there is no danger in overdosing.

while i agree with you on the overdose possibilities of marijuana compared to other drugs, that to me wouldnt be reason enough to get it legalised :toke: anyone can use other drugs like speed for example in a safe situation, using a perscribed amount to prevent overdosing and that drug taking would be technically healthier for the user compared to someone smoking a few grams of bud ;)

imo the best thing the government could do would be to become their own national drug dealer...not only could they regulate the quality and prices of drugs all around australia, they could find out who is using, how much they use and how frequently they use the drugs they are buying...thats not to mention the billions upon billions of dollars the government would rake in every month which would be gained from the drug sales, reduced police force, less people in prison, etc. IMO it would be fantastic to see that happen lol

:peace: I should have got here earlier then id have e few less hundred thingz to say about this :bleh:

But instead : I pretty much agree with u all again but...

As ive always said (sincestoner) I do not want MJ legalized (except for medicinal for those who chose to do that)

If marijuana is legalized , we will all be even more screwed than we already are ...

Hello new Cigarette companies - hello even tougher laws on growing , hello degradated and chemicalized Smoko Crazy Mental health accusations etc.

If it was decriminilized , then that should do for those who want to grow their own for medicinal or recreational purposes.

Also on a finishing point - hey pipeman ;) Good topic starter again;) ...

But I was wondering why you think that MJ is not addictive ... U should see me without a smoke for a day (notthatUwouldthezedays) lol You can be addicted to any thing that tempts you - Budman ;)

Keen to read more fellow people ... bye 4 now. :toke: