THIS IS AQUAPONICS

Aquaponix

Any Jack Herer growers can input on how theirs finished I'd appreciate it. They also have insects to all hell! Thrips are the main bastards. I put garlic in to deter them hahaha

the fuckers are living on the garlic too!  :thumbsup

gallery_7091_85_242091.jpg

Organics has it's prices and the biggest learning curve for me has been pest and disease control. Basically I kill everything I see except spiders ladybirds and mantis in there and pray my plants outgrow the fuckers.

Hehe.

I am not a huge fan of JH , but not because of the strain when done well, I just don't like how unstable it is and have seen many people end up with crap over a small issue , I definatly wouldn't use it long term on a system that I was experimenting with unless I found myself a nice strong mum that doesn't stress and change her habits of growth so easly, I'm not sayign it's a crap strain buy anymeans when done right with the right mum it's a fantastic strain but I have grown allot of strains that shit on it in comparison to stone , the plants resiliance and growth vigorocity

with the thrips and garlic I would be carefull usign that as a constant deterant for them , as gernations have been known to become immune to it , If you where not an organic grower I would say use some watered down pyrithium which woudl deal with them in two or three treatments , however because you are an organic grower and because of your potential constant situation I would sugest you looked into somehtign liek Pirate Bugs , Lady beatles , or other helpfull bugs

here is a suplier of such bugs that I found reliable and fast to deliver

http://www.goodbugs.org.au/BCAbycrop.htm

thrips can be an absolute bastard to be rid of If you need help finding some more supliers or info on doing it organic just let me know

I am not an organic grower , however when it comes to pest control I always try a non volitile option first

If you are concerd about mould and want to pre treat them , spray em with a little citro fresh, it is certified for use on organic food so doesn't break any of your rules :unsure:

Thanks for feedback folks.

Wantdachronic - I'd love the luxury of forgetting I'm organic for an evening and carpet bombing my room but the fish...

Studying the toxicity levels and adverse reactions etc etc now. There is a non-organic (cant be certified it's synthetic) product that I'm studying up on now...

Insect growth regulators (IGRs) are a least-toxic pesticide control option for pests. IGRs typically kill insects by disrupting their development. They have a complex mode of action that precludes insects from rapidly developing resistance. IGRs can work in one of several ways:

1. they can mimic juvenile hormones, so that insects never enter the reproductive stage of development;

2. they can interfere with the production of chitin, which makes up the shell of most insects; or

3. they can interfere with the molting process.

IGRs usually work through ingestion, so good spray coverage is essential. They generally don't affect non-target species—such as humans, birds, fish, or other vertebrates. For most IGRs there are minimal re-entry restrictions. IGRs typically take several days to have an effect on pest populations. Because IGRs do not affect mature insects, adult beneficials released into the greenhouse after an IGR application are not likely to be affected. Use of IGRs is generally prohibited by organic certification organizations because the products are synthetic. IGRs can sometimes be used in conjunction with biological control efforts and may provide growers with a "safety net" should beneficials fail to keep the pests below economically damaging levels.

The table below lists some well-known insect growth regulators.

Brand Name - Supplier

Adept - Uniroyal Chemicals

Azatin - Olympic Horticultural Products

Neemazad - Thermo Trilogy

Neemix - Thermo Trilogy

Precision - Novartix

Preclude - Whitmire Micro-Gen

These products also target fungus gnats white flies and other MJ lovers.

Predators would be nice but they are a one off as they die back after use, I envisage every summer i'll have an influx of insects I need to screen them out and change my wandering all over the gardens then going in the room habit. What I specifically like about this product is they don't kill predators.

If they (bugs) affect fruiting noticeably I'll be in there with an IGR just want to learn a bit more before I do.

I'm organic cos it's best tasting and the conditions buffer themselves, but I'm not 'anally organic' :scratchin I'm into cleaning the planet etc and my system will eventually be part of the groundwork of systems removing industry wastes (that's a whole new book) but there is a line that I usually draw around practicality, and of course, reality. I sprayed spider mites in my room once and I'd do it again!

Vigorocity? Vigorocity! New word for the day care of Pure and it's a good'n. :unsure:

Yeah Jack Herer. Thanks for that Pure. I was told of 20 seeds I'll get 10 girls and one will be 'the one'. To look for a tall girl. Well, I only had 2 seeds, one a tall girl, one a short fat boy that I stupidly pulled too fast to breed.

The ridiculous growth explosion made me suspect I got a good'n, plus previous grows (superskunk, silver pearl, early girl, bubblegum) never set fruit as heavily as this one.

The Mum is shit compared to the clones I put in the system (thin stem, slow root growth) but the clones go apeshit.

Praying it tastes as good as it looks, it is beginning to smell decadent (rich sweet fruity) which has indicated knockout weed previously.

So fingers crossed.

What strains are your favourites in hydro, and why?

I have a superskunk hunt going on too. I'll get one, LOVE that stuff in Aqua it's coma time. :unsure: Symphilids ate the stem of my last SS clones :P

Chev - I'll be glad to help, got any ideas on size. starting with your light/grow area then work backwards using the 1:2:4 approach.

I'm just in consultation with an excellent Aquaponic gardener & I think I may raise the medium (growrocks) proportion, of this ratio to provide further stability.

I will have answers within days. Meantime if I know your size growspace planned species of fish and type of system (continuous flow, dwc) I can give some guidelines while you get creative :thumbsup

I love building grow systems if I had the cash I'd make this freak of a thing I've designed with rotating pots and vertical lighting ::unsure::

Reckon an elbow a 400 is easily achievable (I actually think elbow and a half) in 6 buckets DWC recirculating Aqua that rotate around a vertical light (buckets sit still, lids rotate the plants). The lids turn from a very low geared motor/fan belt, the plants are all tied to overhead wires with fishing swivels so they may spin easily with added support for the monster buds a system like this deserves.

I guess it's a light shifter in reverse, a plant shifter. lol

Wanna prelim sketch? Can ya see it? Am I completely troppo this time? :o

Edited by Aquaponix

OK the formula :unsure:

I screwed it up in the original posting of it here (page 2) which is a BAD TYPO! :unsure:

I said

1 lb fish

2 lb gravel/medium

4 sq ft growspace

It is actually

"1 lb fish

2 gallon* gravel/medium

4 sq ft growspace

*Based on same volume of space water takes. (roughly 4.5 litre per gallon) I originally did this measure to compensate for a choice of mediums as weight of gravel and expanded clay are a lot different. Measure the medium in a bucket."

Sorry to be a PITA Tom can you please edit the post on page two to include the above within quotes.

Formula was right numbers, wrong measure. Thought it sounded light on filter :unsure:

Glad I caught it now.

Young plants are in their new 12/12 home they're gonna overgrow the confines for sure. Nice roots, seen better but in 24 hour light there's no chance of photo finish roots as they need a bit of night apparently.

Sorry to be a PITA Tom can you please edit the post on page two to include the above within quotes.

Formula was right numbers, wrong measure. Thought it sounded light on filter detective2.gif

Glad I caught it now.

No worries, done. :unsure:

If you have 16 feet of grow space from the above formula you'll see you need -

8 lbs of gravel

4 lbs of fish

Altered the 8 lbs to 8 gallons too.

:unsure: