Electronic PH testers.

Heh. I agree (to a degree.) Hand helds are really convenient and quick, ideal for daily testing. Always helps to have a litmus test or a liquid test kit tho, cause at least those give you a totally accurate result, every time. If you do that once a fortnight (ie compare liquid test results with results handheld ph meter gives) then you're generally safe as can be.

But like ferengi says, its $. Handheld digital = $150. Chemical test = $5. You do the math :blink:

-Doh

Well I ended up getting one from ebay, $47 + $9 p&h, $56 all up.

Specifications:

New Model: PH-03(I)

Measuring Range: 0.00 – 14.00 pH

Resolution: 0.01 pH

Accuracy: +/- 0.1 pH

Automatic Temperature Compensation: 0 - 50 Degree Celsius

Operating Temperature: 0 - 50 Degree Celsius

Power Source: 2x CR 2032 3v Batteries Included

Calibration: Manual ( Pre- Calibrated )

Dimensions: 150 x 27 x 20 mm

Weight: 46g

:blink:

post-19-1118663955_thumb.jpg

Well I got my hands on one of these "disposable" ph pens by Hanna and gleaned some interesting info from the LHS (seriously). Because i was directed to the store by the wholesaler and was armed with information directly from them about the product I believe I was given the no bs explanation with regards to this product.

IMO this is not really a disposable pen at all .. what it is however ... is old Hanna stock that is soon to be replaced with a snazzy new product line of ph testers.

In an attempt to offload the stock, the wholesaler (holland forge), have labelled them as disposable and are selling them off cheaply with no warranty. The 700hr expiration on them just refers to the battery life.

As with all pH testers factory calibration means diddly and to ensure the pH tester doesn't lock up and give a false reading I was advised to calibrate regularly.

As MJ growers our ph testers are constantly focussed on a range between mid 5.5-6.5 and over time can lock into this range. This then can result in false readings (i.e ph=10.0 but the meter still reads off 6.5).

The longer the probe is left uncalibrated in a locked up state, the less chance you have of being able to unlock the probe and calibrate it correctly (if at all).

I was instructed to calibrate real low (ph4) then back to high (ph7) and so forth regularly to avoid memory setting in with the equip. This advise was not specific to the pen I bought, but ALL pH testers.

The gent at the LHS said he had many of the expensive pens returned to his shop by disgruntled growers only for him to do the above and bring them back to life in a minute .. much to his amusement.

Anyway, so far so good, if it lasts me a couple of grows I'll be happy

Tug :peace:

EDIT: Specs

Measuring Range: 0.00 – 14.00 pH

Resolution: 0.1 pH

Accuracy: +/- 0.1 pH

Operating Temperature: 0 - 50 Degree Celsius

Power Source: 3x 1.5v alkaline (700hr approx life)

Dimensions: 150 x 30 x 24 mm

Weight: 85g

post-76-1119005805_thumb.jpg

Edited by TUGBOAT

The Eutech ones are better hands down. IMHO.

They also have replaceable sensors so you don't have to buy a whole new unit each time.

I've had one for a loooong time now, and wouldn't go back to the liquid tester unless I absolutely needed to.

The other brands have a reputation, in my experience talking to others, for being unreliable or quick to die. But that's just heresay really.

btw, afaik you should calibrate to 7 first and then to 4. :)

Let us know how you go with the tester tom. lol