Canna Terra Pro indoors.

i guess it all comes down to the criteria you chose to measure test out comes fox , your bench marks 

from a soi growersl perspective , you can look at coco being more sustainable

& with peat you could say the cec cation exchange capacity is better 

like anything , are pros & cons , kisorganics have a good coco vs peat blog post 

Yeh i use to believe peat was less sustainable but the reality is they both need to be shipped from overseas, and the harvesting companies have made large strives in reseeding and regrowing the peat bogs. 

I know peat is used in some places instead of coal if im not mistaken, although it isn't horticultural peat. Coco coir fibres can be woven into various things. 

In reality coco and peat are very similar, they both have to be treated, peat for it's acidity coco to free up and flush calcium. 

I personally prefer it as i  have found coco does not break down and lose its structure nearly as quickly, higher lignin content is also a good source of food for the natural trichoderma species present, nor does it become hydrophobic and shrink when dry. not deal breakers just why i prefer it i am sure there are more things but it's late and I can't sleep lol

Edited by Frank Reynolds

For anyone that is interested this thread got me doing a bit more reading, an dthis is quite interesting testing coco, peat, and rockwool in a hydroponic enviorment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5539188/

a lot of chemistry i skipped over but some interesting things in there i though

Edited by Frank Reynolds

soilless hydro is so diff to a living soil environment 

it's a mistake i think lots of newer soil growers make by mixing the 2 methodologies 

like PH & the need in soilless mixes to control that with bottle feeding nutrients 

in a living soil the plant & organisms round the root zone control ph , to the point ,

any group of organisms in any area of a root system will set there own ph , meaning 

if you ph probed multiple points around a root system you would get multiple ph readings 

again depending which organism is in charge of a probed area , of cause if you choose 

to use synthetic nutrients on a living soil you are battling your plant , while the plant trys

& attract beneficial organisms to it's root zone the use of synthetics kills them off , & back

& forth it go's , while the plant keeps trying to get the right organisms it needs , natures gabarge 

collectors , insects , are tuned in to plant signals of distress , the best target for those 

insects is a plant with low defences 

the canadian peat moss association don't think peat is unsustainable but i guess they 

have a peat moss industry to consider when saying that , there are def guys in this 

country looking for alternatives to coco & to peat as there is around the world  

here is that blog post i mentioned , this is based around using coco or peat in soil mixes

not hydro systems https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/news/99806785-peat-vs-coco

I'm not sure I get your first para fully, do you think new growers shouldn't check their ph when using hydro nutes in soiless mixes like coco or peat that isn't ammended?

I agree with you about about differing ph levels within soils, but what I fail to see how this applies to potting media, granted media richer in compost/humus would buffer ph for a longer period still not necessarily forever. As you mentioned in your first para new growers should not be mixing different methadologies.

Synthetic nutes do not kill off beneficial organisms, these nutrients are apart of these organisms diets in most cases. It can be argued that hydroponic environments are in fact preferred if trying to promote the growth of certain bacteria or fungus for preventative root fungal issues, as you are starting with a clean medium with no competition, and it is proven that proper hydro environments (ie proper water temps, o2 levels etc) are in fact very good homes for these organisms.   

I did read that article itchy, it highlights good points.

I honestly would be interested to hear your opinion maybe by pm to not clog up this thread on points brought up in https://manicbotanix.com/hydroponics-versus-organics/ i feel that is a very well written article. It is written from a hydro perspective but i don't think it is totally weighted one side.  

Edited by Frank Reynolds

As the OP, you're not clogging up this thread. I'm fine for your intelligent discussion to remain here. I'm picking up tidbits as I read through all ( both) your comments, and hope others might be interested too. It's relevant and educational.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I think when one considers the cost of a commercial ounce (used to pay $300-$350 in Victoria) spending a $100+ for a good result it is not expensive. Especially if the plant maintenance time is lowered. I have to grow in pots here as the fucking termites keep going for the only patch of moisture in the back yard during the drought. My plants! When I am using 30 to 50 litre pots, I start the plants in small pots using canna terra, when they are real healthy I transplant up but into Searles premium potting mix and use Nitrosol ferts but only half the dosage as the Searles has slow release ferts already in the mix. PH 6.5-6.8 get pretty good results.

On point Brick. Our individual grow environments usually dictate ( often limit) how, where and when we can grow. Discussion on pros and cond of different styles and techniques are helpful. Testing the different styles and techniques in your own yard or tent is even better...... nothing like a good fuck up to help us learn.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1