LED Light Design and Build Diary

Very interesting thread!

I have to say a few years ago I did not think LEDs were even close enough to HID etc, but after seeing these DIY boards it's quite impressive. These DIY ones don't seem crazy hard to set up, why is it commercial LED's seem to lack behind?

The technology is moving forward rapidly frank, in the year or so since I have been dabbling with it there has been two more generations of quantum board for example. please dont listen to the nay sayers telling you its a waste of time, it simply isn't, there are heaps of people posting amazing grows using led on small and comercial scale all over instagram, other forums and even here. here is one of my favourites, loki grow for example https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUAWh1ULEURCFbP5YmEP3sQ

DIY is a good way to get into the field at a cheaper set up cost.

Very interesting thread!

I have to say a few years ago I did not think LEDs were even close enough to HID etc, but after seeing these DIY boards it's quite impressive. These DIY ones don't seem crazy hard to set up, why is it commercial LED's seem to lack behind?

Thanks Frank. As Partimus says, LED technology is moving forward rapidly. With every generation of LED chips that come out, efficiencies get better. Also, light spectrums with different colour LEDs can be closely engineered rather than just relying on brute force.

As promised, here are some photos of a plant under my light. These photos were taken 12 days after the seedling emerged.

post-65442-0-11969800-1577699191_thumb.jpg

post-65442-0-64159200-1577699224_thumb.jpg

It's a Bubblegum from ILGM. Growing in Rockwool using the GH Flora trio with Calimagic as well. I follow the GH schedule but only mix at 3/4 strength. I'll top the plant in a few days and will probably veg for around 60 days to get good big canopy. 

The plant is looking happy, especially given the extreme heat we've been having. The only difference I'm seeing on this plant versus others I've grown from the same seed batch is that the leaves are much wider than usual. I'm not sure if this is because of the different light spectrum, the heat or just a different phenotype. Either way, I'm happy how things are going.

The next step is to grow under the light to see how it goes. I would love to do some PPFD measurements but I can't justify the expense of a decent sensor given this is a hobby project. I'll probably do some more design work to see if I could produce this light without the fans (i.e. some proper calculations, simulations, etc.) but I don't know if I'll actually build it.

I made a crude PPFD meter using an RPi w/ a TSL2591 for about $20. The TSL2591 is a basic high range lux sensor returning full, ir and lux. You can do some crude math and get a PPFD value. Obviously not 100% accurate, but for $20 why not.

Wrote a little code for it so I can use my phone to check it.

A screenshot of veg, it auto ranges based on cycle. Establisment: 100-300, Veg: 300-600, Flower: 600-1000

29f44c.png

This has been working well for me, no light burn yet.

The other option ive been looking at is an Apogee SQ-120, but that will run you at least $200 but is a real quantum sensor and will get you PAR. 0-800mv * 5.0 = PAR.

There's also the Hydrofarm Par Meter for about $209 in total - https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-LGBQM-Quantum-Micromol-Sensor/dp/B0055F59LA

Review vs the much more expensive Apogee MQ-500

This guy made a full spectrum spectrometer from AMXs AS72651, AS72652 and AS72653. Giving you 18 channels from 410nm - 940nm if you want to cheaply measure your light spectrum. Eagle files can be downloaded from for free.

https://hackaday.io/list/158174-thp-2018-semifinalists-open-hardware-design

https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/compact-as7265x-spectrometer/

Edited by thedrunk