List of Australian Organic NoTill Amendments and Components

Just thought I'd throw out a product that sparked my interest. If everyone already knows, please ignore. And no, I've got no stake in the product, just excited to try it!

Last grow I used 7gal (27L) Geopot fabric bags in a 4x2 tent. Happy with them and was going to buy another three for a new 4x4 tent (6x total). But Geopot is now making fabric raised beds and have a 4x4. Even better, they have an accessory to make adding trellis easy! 4x4x1 by my math is about 120gal or 450L. This sounds a good way to do a No Till or LOS. And no wasted space between pots. Would fit nice in a 4x4 tent, but I was thinking a 5x5 tent would leave just that bit of room around the sides for dehuey, fan, and irrigation goodies. Yep, they are available in AUS from one of the big online hydro shops...

If anyone has used them, let me know if they worked well.

https://www.geopot.com/collections/geopot-fabric-pots/products/geoplanter-fabric-raised-garden-bed

Not to mention some very new research that shows an increase in yield (terpene, cannabinoid and weight) when plants are grown together and share the same bed. Even with identical soil volumes. Pretty incredible what we are only beginning to discover in the complex soil microbe interactions.

• Upvote 2

Just thought I'd throw out a product that sparked my interest. If everyone already knows, please ignore. And no, I've got no stake in the product, just excited to try it!

Last grow I used 7gal (27L) Geopot fabric bags in a 4x2 tent. Happy with them and was going to buy another three for a new 4x4 tent (6x total). But Geopot is now making fabric raised beds and have a 4x4. Even better, they have an accessory to make adding trellis easy! 4x4x1 by my math is about 120gal or 450L. This sounds a good way to do a No Till or LOS. And no wasted space between pots. Would fit nice in a 4x4 tent, but I was thinking a 5x5 tent would leave just that bit of room around the sides for dehuey, fan, and irrigation goodies. Yep, they are available in AUS from one of the big online hydro shops...

If anyone has used them, let me know if they worked well.

https://www.geopot.com/collections/geopot-fabric-pots/products/geoplanter-fabric-raised-garden-bed

that is going to work a treat mate ... like the idea of the extra room in the 5x5, if you can swing it.

should be some serious soil going on there ... as itchy and Kloud have mentioned ... would be watching josh steensland grows from scratch to see how he sets up too.

i'd be tempted to have a vapo of that mango sapphire, crack on the vpn and sit back and enjoy the fella's wisdom ... he has a humble and lovely way of dropping knowledge nuggets. :)

as usual ... thx itchy for the heads up on josh.:)

• Upvote 2

G’day organic/biodynamic No-Tillers :)

Been noticing lately that there are a few stores selling soil amendments in Australia - one at least seems legit, but some of the others are very questionable … one even uses the word ‘Organic’ in their business, but doesn’t sell any organic components.

Thought it might be time to start a thread where we can list our organic suppliers. In this situation … I’m thinking those that are certified by Australian organic/biodynamic/demeter organisations would be great. If that is not possible, either organically grown/sourced in Australia and are known to be free of the ‘cides’ or lastly … have organic certification from other countries. Of course there will be a few inorganic minerals and compounds that we use, but for any plant or animal product, would like to get an organic australian supplier list going.

Before starting …. just a quick explanation as to why the stress on organics … in no-till, what is put in the soil pretty much stays in the soil. If we use one dodgy ingredient it stuffs up all the effort in being healthy. Sometimes it is hard to find out if something is organic, but there is an easy way … ask the supplier where the product comes from (grown/sourced) and if it is organically certified. Anyone selling good, healthy products will enjoy telling you all about them. Anyone who doesn’t reply or doesn’t know … is more in it for the money than helping others. In the end, it’s about keeping out all the toxic products from our soil that contain chemicals/minerals/radiation that are used in ridiculous amounts to kill ‘pests’, ‘weeds’, insects or fungi/yeast. It’s also about tracing where the components come from, as it is useless getting an organic certified product from a country that is radiated, uses crap water and or grows in polluted air. Basically, it’s about trying to grow the healthiest plants possible, so we can actually improve our health while toking, vaping, eating and any other enjoyable manner of consumption. :)

Here we go …

Neem Oil

https://neemoil.com.au/neem-oil-100-/neem-oil-500-ml.html

Uses imported organic neem from India - is not certified in Australia (that I can see).

Comments: had a good chat with the lady selling her Neem oil and have been using it for years. She knows her stuff, is very transparent about where and how it is sourced and the neem oil has done the job very well. Recommend heating water to about 35 degrees (or so your finger is warm but not hot) and then mixing with aloe vera powder and potassium silicate/soap nut powder - this neem oil can get thick in the cold.

Neem Meal

https://plantneeds.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=255

Last I checked (a fair while ago) uses neem from Northern Territory and India. The label has changed over the years, but the product still seems the same …now called ‘Planc’. Think it can be bought in 5kg lots as well, which lasts donkeys. Has Australian organic certification. They also sell Neem Oil, but haven’t bought that from them.

Malted Barley

https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/pilsener-malt-organic-weyermann-organic

Two choices here and both are good. Grain is sourced from Germany and has EU organic certification … not sure if it also is Australian certified. Have been using this for a couple of years, stored in an airtight container … still good as new.

Hope this is helpful and looking forward to hearing from other notillers about all their organic soil amendments. :)

Ripper of a post pug :)

Magic Carp, worm casting juice and sea weed is great.

I used to grow alot of a medicinal herb called Comfrey and I used too make my own liquid fertilizer. The best thing about it, is, it's free and sustainable. It sends roots deep down into the earth and draws up heaps of nutrients and minerals into the leaves and stems.  You collect the leaves, soak them in a bucket of water and let it stew for awhile. It's a real blessing in my neck of the woods as the soil is a deep red color, rich in volcanic minerals.

Here is a great link describing how to make it:

Be warned it stinks... no reeks of shit.

Edited by Clementine
  • Upvote 2

Nice one Clementine ... great vids mate.:)

with your soil ... it would gather some amazing goodies.

holy shit ... after 3 weeks it would have some nose.

i like comfrey for everything too ... used to be able to get excellent comfrey salves for muscle problems, but they banned them a fair few years ago. comfrey, arnica and kief (1/2 decarboxylated and 1/2 raw) work really well in a salve.

is it just me or are gardener scott and tony great to watch stoned - gardener scott's voice fully relaxes me and his knowledge is easy to digest ... reminds me a bit of listening to william gibson audiobooks ... hehehe.

Nice thread with great resources have used a few of them

What size geo would you recomend for a 2x2 tent thats all i got to work with. Running no till.

I have a 15 gallon pot but when i sized it it takes up that whole space and will leave me no room for anything else if i need it and it dosne't clip on to the frame.

Nice thread with great resources have used a few of them

What size geo would you recomend for a 2x2 tent thats all i got to work with. Running no till.

I have a 15 gallon pot but when i sized it it takes up that whole space and will leave me no room for anything else if i need it and it dosne't clip on to the frame.

15 gal is a good size, but i understand where you're coming from ... that's a tight space.

a couple of grows ago, i bought a cheapie 2x2x2 tent (just to get a month's heads start, while the plant (on top of this tent) finished flowering) and plonked a 15gal smartpot in it ... like you said ... full as. i encountered two main problems ... the pot blocked a fair bit of airflow from both ducts and passive inlets. it still did the trick though ... i just had to crank up the fan a bit more. the major issue was dragging the pot out after a month, as the tent design had a kind of 'D' shaped zip which made the maximum zip-flap width about the same size as my pot diameter ... lol ... nearly did my back in on that one. one other factor to consider might be height restrictions - the height of your tent, pot wall height and total plant height - will all have an impact on the final distance of your light to plant canopy.

if you have a reasonable fan attached to your carbon filter (using passive intakes), good tent flap width (50ish cm) and a tallish tent (180-200cm) growing with an LED, or a HID cool lamp setup, or even a well-designed cmh fixture, with a pot height of approx 30cm and growing a strain that will finish at around 100cm ... then I reckon the 15gal pot will work well. :)

depending on how much clean water you have available and also if you live in a humid climate, i would try to minimise the evaporation from the pot (especially around the pot walls) by wrapping a bit of panda film around the pot circumference - leaving around 4-5 cm from the bottom free from panda film - a little like RootTrapper pots:

https://myrootmaker.com/collections/roottrapper%C2%AE-containers/products/roottrapper%C2%AE-ii-15-gallon

hope it helps :)

included a pic below showing one way to get around the ducts being blocked ... used a bit of ducting (as a passive inlet) and rested it on the pot edge. also ... included another photo to hopefully help with one way to get around small space issues - there is a 60x60x60cm tent inside a 1m x 60cm x 200cm tent ... there's another 15gal pot on top of the smaller tent under a cmh315. with some good ventilation ... i reckon it will be tight but a goer.:)

post-14354-0-18640500-1574174213_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-90970200-1574174245_thumb.jpg