LED VS HID?

lol so you waste more light with hps is what ypur saying [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yes you could say that, lets see how me dirt grow go's, there is more then one way to skin a cat lol 

mind you its getting bloody cold here, the rooms about 15-17 lights on lol, just finishing of some cuttings of the outside shit

its nice and warm in me tent 22-25, they might stay there, take the top off them, grow them Areo in me room, see what happens hey

might do nothing except get stoned and pissed all winter yet, fuck the cold wet shit, stay close to the fire i reckon 

Yeah mate been looking at aces strains hey... that zam thai is the one you had outside hey?? Looks and sounds really nice... is the smoke trippy like they say in the description?? May be on my list for the next order [emoji16][emoji16]

Yes you could say that, lets see how me dirt grow go's, there is more then one way to skin a cat lol

mind you its getting bloody cold here, the rooms about 15-17 lights on lol, just finishing of some cuttings of the outside shit

its nice and warm in me tent 22-25, they might stay there, take the top off them, grow them Areo in me room, see what happens hey

might do nothing except get stoned and pissed all winter yet, fuck the cold wet shit, stay close to the fire i reckon

Yeah its the Zamaldilica, lots of Thai pheno's in the regs apparently, very mango smelling after 4-6 weeks of curing 

its a very nice smoke, more trippy then the Golden Tiger Thai pheno, need a 6 month cure to bring the best out of them

trying to find a zam thai male over summer x with the zam thai female i'm keeping, and anything else i'm growing, mainly thai x i think  

no plant/smoke ever lives up to its description, every smokers different so who knows, maybe it is really trippy for some 

lol so you waste more light with hps is what ypur saying [emoji23][emoji23]

Not many in Aus utilise the 360 deg that hid can give with vertical growing ,,,normally good vertical grows have lots of plants so our laws prevent most from going down that avenue. One day I'll build my frame and do one ,,and use cuttings .,,,,,one day,,lol.

My grows I try to utilise some of the side light ,,,when using a vertical globe.

Gives better than a sog for 1.6 X1.6 area. My "Sweet mix " grow in the Sweet Seeds section got me 693 g the grow after that got not much over 700g ,,,,All at but mostly below 62 humidity.,,,,can easily get over 600g in that area with 600watts HID,when facing normal conditions,,,,,Lucalox globe and lumatek ballast.

Even using a Horizontal globe with reflector gives far better side coverage and allows better reflection ( from walls) at a greater distance than led.

And horizontal globe ( which most use ) can be utilised far better than what we see here at Oz stoners.

A flat canopy is good but some times ,,or most times that I see here with horizontal globes,,, a V shaped canopy would work better ,,,especially some of the 2 or 3 light grows you see here.And many times the globes are pointing the wrong way for best overlap.

So yes,,most do waste light from their HIDs but its strong light that can be captured with a larger coverage or by having it bounce back like in a tent,

My autopots grow,,which you have seen,, with the decrepit sickly plants still got me 569g with a horizontal lucalox globe and cultiv8 ballast .

Surprised myself ,that was in a 1.2 X1.2 area. Wouldn't have gotten that with a flat canopy though .

I'm not against leds though ,but reckon they're better suited for small area grows like fridges or cupboards .

Anyway I've spent far to long jabbering on

Edited by Serrated edge
  • Upvote 2

Valuable jabbering SE. Only thing I'll add is that a flat canopy doesn't gaurantee even light over the tops. I got a light meter a while back and its amazing the output at different points with a HPS. If we took that approach tops would be burnt whilst a few inches over they'd be going great guns. The light meter, a useful tool for $40 I would recommend to growers using Hid lights.

MLG

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

I hate replying to HID v's LED threads but here goes lol

Pretty sure my comment said nothing about coverage, and I didn't say that LEDs are worth it atm even. Just stating that the technology is producing buds that I personally think look and seem on "par" to HPS / HID

That's what I'm seeing.....IF that's IF you can get the light from LED's to the plants they are great (not only will they match HID but you can spectrum tailor them to improve their usefulness and if done right surpass HID pretty easily) the problem is though LED have crap coverage and light penetration compared to HID (especially compared to 1k w HID......there is no comparison)

Personally I want to see LED's used 'fairy light' style to sort the coverage and penetration issues.

if you had them spread evenly throughout the canopy like fairy lights would there be any limit to what area you could fill with buds? Why couldn't you fill an entire warehouse from roof to floor with quality buds for eg if you chose to? something not easy to do with HID lights.

My comment about coverage is because that's what I find disappointing with leds.

That and penetration are the only things holding them back. But is that because of the lack in tech or a problem with the way they are being used? All I see is people using LED's the same as HID by lighting from above or the sides etc with the basic plants in the middle or under the lights model to comparing them to HID when this isn't what would suit LED best given their coverage and penetration limitations. As I said above I want to see them used 'fairy light' style to see what LED can really do.

......... I really do stick by my statement that the quality from the lights themselves is up there

Yup the newer LED's are nothing like they were 20 or even 10 years ago and are now a very decent light source if you can overcome the inherent coverage and penetration issues LED has always had.

No lol a 1000w hps only covers a 1.2mx1.2m area the 550 is killing it atm in my 1.5mx1.5m area Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Your missing the fact that 1k HID are best used on light movers to get the most from them and will easily cover an area of twice 1.5m x 1.5m and grow alot more and denser buds than any LED ever could with top lighting.

• Upvote 1

not those lights nah lol but yea thats's the idea...strings of proper LED's strung throughout the canopy from roof to floor. Much the same as doing a vertical Colosseum grow like has been done with HID many times but with LED you could fit a lot more actual growing space (ie. more buds) into the same area given the fact you can run LED a lot closer to the plants than you can HID lights.

Not many in Aus utilise the 360 deg that hid can give with vertical growing ,,,normally good vertical grows have lots of plants so our laws prevent most from going down that avenue. One day I'll build my frame and do one ,,and use cuttings .,,,,,one day,,lol.

My grows I try to utilise some of the side light ,,,when using a vertical globe.

Gives better than a sog for 1.6 X1.6 area. My "Sweet mix " grow in the Sweet Seeds section got me 693 g the grow after that got not much over 700g ,,,,All at but mostly below 62 humidity.,,,,can easily get over 600g in that area with 600watts HID,when facing normal conditions,,,,,Lucalox globe and lumatek ballast.

Even using a Horizontal globe with reflector gives far better side coverage and allows better reflection ( from walls) at a greater distance than led.

And horizontal globe ( which most use ) can be utilised far better than what we see here at Oz stoners.

A flat canopy is good but some times ,,or most times that I see here with horizontal globes,,, a V shaped canopy would work better ,,,especially some of the 2 or 3 light grows you see here.And many times the globes are pointing the wrong way for best overlap.

So yes,,most do waste light from their HIDs but its strong light that can be captured with a larger coverage or by having it bounce back like in a tent,

My autopots grow,,which you have seen,, with the decrepit sickly plants still got me 569g with a horizontal lucalox globe and cultiv8 ballast .

Surprised myself ,that was in a 1.2 X1.2 area. Wouldn't have gotten that with a flat canopy though .

I'm not against leds though ,but reckon they're better suited for small area grows like fridges or cupboards .

Anyway I've spent far to long jabbering on

So if you are growing in a rectangle tent with two lights you are saying it's best to run a horizontal globe parallel with the long sides or the short sides of the rectangle?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app