DIY LED light kits

From the little research i have found from people who have both bought and used the boards in the link i posted majority have ordered the boards from all baba and then the drivers from a euro provider.

Works out alot cheaper - as Billy goat said how do they knock off something they produce? HLG get there products from China and assemble in the USA??

The only differences are in types of chips and diodes used etc but even at the lower end this light produces a quality output for a reasonable price? I don't get how thats a bad thing??

From what I have seen this light set up run at 300 watts puts out a very decent par map and you can run without the heat sink as main temps at full blast were 41c. So ast 300 watt stayed around 38 and with 6inch fan were dropped again.

A pretty cheap yet decent alternative to whats about at the moment!

Sorry i should have been a little clearer. Thats 300 watt per panel you can pull 377 at the wall per panel so 754 wall watts at max for the two panels linked but thats at full blast. Tuned down to 300 and they seem to humm.

Yeah I'll keep reading and learning before buying i just like to check out all sides and if i can save a buck i will.

Sorry i should have been a little clearer. Thats 300 watt per panel you can pull 377 at the wall per panel so 754 wall watts at max for the two panels linked but thats at full blast. Tuned down to 300 and they seem to humm.

Yeah I'll keep reading and learning before buying i just like to check out all sides and if i can save a buck i will.

Oh right the link you had was for a 2 panel. That's reallllllly cheap considering. Good luck mate

From the little research i have found from people who have both bought and used the boards in the link i posted majority have ordered the boards from all baba and then the drivers from a euro provider.

Works out alot cheaper - as Billy goat said how do they knock off something they produce? HLG get there products from China and assemble in the USA??

The only differences are in types of chips and diodes used etc but even at the lower end this light produces a quality output for a reasonable price? I don't get how thats a bad thing??

From what I have seen this light set up run at 300 watts puts out a very decent par map and you can run without the heat sink as main temps at full blast were 41c. So ast 300 watt stayed around 38 and with 6inch fan were dropped again.

A pretty cheap yet decent alternative to whats about at the moment!

Hlg source the diodes straight from samsung, then their boards and fixtures are manufactured in the states. The boards on alibaba you have no guarantee that they have used real samsung 516C diodes. A lot of guys in the states have gotten boards from alibaba claiming to have top bin diodes , upon further inspection were found to have 516b diodes in them... like i said earlier buying off alibaba is a craps shoot... youll more than likely come out bust[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by dr.argon

As already stated i have no worry buying what you consider knockoffs and also said i know they arent genuine samsung chips or diodes - BUT When the diodes are so spaced out as on this board, so you almost cover the whole cannopy with board then the difference between B+ and C will be neglible; you just hang the light a little bit lower for same ppfd at the canopy - do you have something against saving a little extra or trying new things?

I have used all baba for the past 6 years easily and when you find a decent manufacturer they are just as good as your 'genuine' parts (sometimes made in the same facility)

Hlg source the diodes straight from samsung, then their boards and fixtures are manufactured in the states. The boards on alibaba you have no guarantee that they have used real samsung 516C diodes. A lot of guys in the states have gotten boards from alibaba claiming to have top bin diodes , upon further inspection were found to have 516b diodes in them... like i said earlier buying off alibaba is a craps shoot... youll more than likely come out bust[emoji4]

If you use 2 of those boards vs 4xqb288 for example you get about 40% more diodes which mean if you run them at the same power youre getting a pretty good efficient bump while also having a very good spread. In fact 4 of those boards is probably still cheaper than the price of hlg550 retail price and youd get over 2x the number of diodes. So they are an option for many who dont want to spend the massive amounts asked by retailers!

If you use 2 of those boards vs 4xqb288 for example you get about 40% more diodes which mean if you run them at the same power youre getting a pretty good efficient bump while also having a very good spread. In fact 4 of those boards is probably still cheaper than the price of hlg550 retail price and youd get over 2x the number of diodes. So they are an option for many who dont want to spend the massive amounts asked by retailers!

Yeah agreed youll have more diodes... but what diodes and are they?? You cant guarantee they are genuine samsung 516c diodes off alibaba....and i doubt theyd give the same results as top bin diodes.

You could approch growerslights or hlg directly and just buy the boards off them, think they sell 4 packs of the 288 boards, then source your driver ect else where. At least then you know 100% you have quality boards [emoji4]

Hey. Go for it. We weren’t bagging alibaba as such, it’s just rarely you get what you pay for, For the home gamer it could be a negligible different, as you stated the difference of an inch or 2 @ the canopy.

And a I think our statements were only made out of concern. I’m all for grabbing a bargain. Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Righto- so I'm biting the proverbial bullet and ordering one of these dual board set ups.

I have already sourced a Meanwell driver just to be happy with that and see how she runs eh!

Now as I am an old HPS guy and y li u could never convince me to go this route for this price and from what I know ie. Par maps etc I'm more than satisfied.

Now I'll definitely need a hand in regards to the framing etc and also spacing of the panels. For most efficiency.

So any and all help would be much appreciated!

If it's a bust then you all get to tell me I told you so. So win win for you guys.. but if they work out then awesome as bettr for us & cheaper!

post-63601-0-88408400-1526466389_thumb.jpg