On a mish to find a good prepackaged soil

I'll try flush the soil and worm castings with neem oil i could possibly dry it out but i donno where i would be able to lay it all out without shit getting torn up and spread all over the yard lol

i picked up the worm castings but I'm not to sure about it being from an average joe's house anything could be in the mix so i plan on not eating the tomatos from whatever pot i put the WC in

found a weird looking worm in the WC bag see the picture has a white line down it and two tenticals i thought  it was a caterpillar

post-60076-0-13824100-1516524877_thumb.jpg

post-60076-0-46471700-1516524983_thumb.jpg

Don't know my worms.

How ya going with the soil Gaz?

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned it and your already gathering ingredients I know but there are ready made mixes of soil amendments like the dr gt ready made mix that you just add to your base.

Cuts out a million different bags n shit.

Reading their site it seems that you can add as much or as little of their mix to give the desired hotness!

Still have to cook a while I guess. I maybe got some heat in my own mixes but cover crops are getting better with perhaps only a small touch of damage.

I am probably going to go down that path Cab with the DR's mix so i can make it weak, the tomato plants are gaining height and width its hard to tell which one is a winner yet they have only been potted up for 2 days

from left to right we have

Close Garden Store Vegi Mix

Close Garden Store Vegi Mix + 40% Worm Castings

Far Garden Store Vegi Herb Mix

Far Garden Store Vegi Herb Mix + 40% Worm Castings

They all have spots on the leaves i watered them the first day in big pots using a Solo soft drink bottle that was emptied and washed out i think it messed the PH up and possibly made it acidic lesson learnt

the one on the far right looks much bigger than them all, i also skipped the perlite as i used the money to buy some Autopots to give them a try too

found a full grown Aphid or Flying Ant in the first potting mix mentioned i cannot tell the difference yet there was a hole in the bag from the manuf

post-60076-0-58239400-1516853647_thumb.jpg

post-60076-0-90309500-1516853809_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I might get my autopots working and add some small chilli plants and see how i go with adding worm juice to the reservoir as a hydroponic nutrient replacement what's your thoughts?

here are the autopots seems old mate left out two tray covers and gave me an extra pot and weed mat lol

i need a inline filter and a reservoir and some media these autopots should be right to go once cleaned

last picture shows the two soils, top of pic soil is the close vegi mix it was very barky and sticks at first than it turned very sandy as i was removing it from the bag, the bottom soil is from the further away shop it was chunky barky big chunks but it had plenty of manure in it u can see all the chucks still there that arnt broken apart

post-60076-0-36323200-1516855930_thumb.jpg

post-60076-0-49198300-1516856024_thumb.jpg

post-60076-0-47400800-1516856180_thumb.jpg

post-60076-0-72456000-1516856440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrystal

I’m no expert but the reading I have done recently indicates 20% worm castings is a good percentage, any more can be detrimental.

Yeah 20% but there is no limit to worm castings, i read u can plant directly into 100% worm castings with no ill effect on the plants or seedlings however people don't do it because of the cost WC cost a fortune from some sellers hence its diluted

mine seem to be going really well in the 40% WC the burning is on all 4 seedlings so i think that was on my part using the Solo bottle to water them other than that they are cruizin along

the oneo n the far right in 40% WC mix is spreading out wider than the other 3 seedlings it's only early stages but i think the WC is going to be a really good mix that mix on the right also has some sort of manure in it as pictured in the soil on the grass those clumps of soil are manure i just donno which type

Wicked!!!

A few thoughts in my limited experiences.

I did like 20 tomatoes last year in pots, actually tomatoes. Hmmmm, mainly cherry and something else. Pics somewhere. I thought they all went great cept a dodgy cheap potting mix that is in my notes somewhere. Fuck knows where.

I have just eradicated the last of my tomato plants from the vege patch too, good harvest a few weeks ago but fuck I'm sick of tomatoes.

Those cunts will grow in anything.

Didn't use that tomato mix that has good press. (Billy, I read you got a bag, anything to report yet?)

Be careful cos u can get overun with tomatoes real easy. They go spastic.

Am I right to say the castings have a bit more plump to them?

Worm juice in an autopot? Dunno mate, somebody will though.

Autopots look the biz. Crying out for a good mix though, ya know, going to that bother, fill em with something good.

Worm castings.

You are both correct.

Kis organics I think say that there is no extra benefit after 20%.

Lots of recipes call for 33% but maybe cos it's handy and not much over 20% anyway.

Sure, a good bag of castings only would probably grow well but probably not 80% better than a 20% mix so save the precious precious castings.

Don't forget drainage, I made a new mix last night.

El cheapo mix!!

No castings, Scott's organic compost, peat.

Tried decomposed granite as the drainage agent. From 2mm-10mm cos I have heaps and gotta buy scoria. It got the usual compliment but half cups per 50-60l. Trying kelp for horses! Ground up some Lucerne hay too I picked up from floor. lol!

Transplanted some sunflowers and actual canna seedlings (bagseed, cos it may not work). I reckon it felt good and they ain't dead yet.

Have a giant Russian in a mix with WC and it's going off!

Get itchybro on here and he will set you straight, set me straight too cos well, I could be, well ,not exactly right!!

Good work though,. Dying to see how the autopots go and eager to see how u go Billy with that tomato mix. U were potting up Sal's? Must check it thread.

If that mix is good, and WC added, could be a real nice mix I reckon

Hey Carb.

Thanks for the input, I literally just finished potting up the Sal’s. Ended up with a mix of 50Lbrunnings:15L WC:35L Perlite.

Didn’t need it all but I have a few others I will pot up also.m with the same mix. I’ll mulch and grab a pic tomorrow or more likely Saturday :)

Edited by billygoat
  • Upvote 2

Looking good.

Start a mix yet?

Castings are the biz!

I have a giant Russian sunflower in a mix with Scott's premium potting mix with 20% castings and it's going real well. Better than I thought.

I mix castings into everything now when potting or potting up and so good so far.

Edited by Carbcon