This baby was thriving 2 weeks ago!

Been a while since I posted here (as it’s been a while since I attempted a grow), but I’m concerned about the decline of this seedling.

2-3 weeks ago it was lusciously green and healthy, but the leaves have been getting pale and now yellowing. Not immediately after transplanting but within a couple of weeks. I’ve read possible causes could be under or overwatering, however it’s generally only had 1 drink p/day. I also contemplated a nutrient deficiency so gave a seedling-dilution of seasol, but still no change.

Could the soil be too dense? I did transplant some chilli seedlings into the same soil and they’ve slowed right down. I used Scotts Pure Organic potting mix (‘ideal for edible gardens’). If it’s the soil, would re-transplanting into a different mix be too much of a shock?

I’d really appreciate some experienced advice here!

1 2c98fd7481b33f2d73f4a1fd4b0fbaef.jpg

2 05e9e0af24aece51fd2bfa44e1b2e1e2.jpg

3 028c6d7a659a06f211eef1cc0f858a1a.jpg

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

what they said ^^^

maybe outdoors will require water on a daily basis if temps are high in a small pot  

but as temps drop so does water consumption & pot evaporation 

you can't work off unchecked watering's , meaning , check the weight 

of the pot , if big enough pot , stick ya fingers in the soil to check for moisture 

if fingers feel dry & pot is lite , water 

fingers wet & pot heavy , no water 

let her dry a bit , but not completely & transplant her into a bigger pot with fresh soil

& water in slowly with the pot in a drip tray , once the pot is completely watered 

let it sit in the tray for 15-20min to wick  , then pull the pot out & let it drain , empty out the tray 

once drained pick up & feel the weight of the pot , you want to water again when that pot is around 50%

of original weight , it will get to 50% based mostly on weather , sometimes you'll wait days to water again

& others will be daily watering's 

you don't have to do something to the plant everyday , today's requirement of you , the farmer , is do nothing  

tomorrows requirement is to check if you have to do nothing again 

some things you can do while doing nothing is work on your IPM Integrated Pest Management 

spraying things like neem as preemptive against bugs , planting companion plants to attacked good bugs

to your grow   

Great, thanks for the feedback everyone! I’ll leave her be for a few days and see how she goes. I might also buy different potting mix for the next transplant. This really seems to hold too much water.

Can lack of oxygen to the roots cause that drying out of the leaf tips? Or is that just another sign of overwatering?

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Another one for overwatering, and I'd suggest lack of proper lighting as well.

It may be too late, but I'd get it outside in unfiltered light, and water once, maybe twice a week, depending on how quickly the soil dries out.

But definitely ditch that brand of potting mix as it has way too much bark in it.

Many people knock it primarily because it has slow release ferts in it, but I suggest you go with Searle's Premium Potting Mix if it's available in your area. Noobs get instant results as long as you do the right thing in regards to light and watering.

When we starting out growing Canna, many of us over think what should be done. But if you stand back, breathe, and take the simplest approach you'll see you'll get the results you're looking for. In reality, Cannabis is one of the easiest plants to grow. Give it plenty of unfiltered light, with sufficient water and you can't go too wrong. :)

• Upvote 1

Another one for overwatering, and I'd suggest lack of proper lighting as well.

It may be too late, but I'd get it outside in unfiltered light, and water once, maybe twice a week, depending on how quickly the soil dries out.

But definitely ditch that brand of potting mix as it has way too much bark in it.

Many people knock it primarily because it has slow release ferts in it, but I suggest you go with Searle's Premium Potting Mix if it's available in your area. Noobs get instant results as long as you do the right thing in regards to light and watering.

When we starting out growing Canna, many of us over think what should be done. But if you stand back, breathe, and take the simplest approach you'll see you'll get the results you're looking for. In reality, Cannabis is one of the easiest plants to grow. Give it plenty of unfiltered light, with sufficient water and you can't go too wrong. :)

Really appreciate that! I’ll head out in the morning and try to find some. :)

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app