Easy to get nutrients (Bunnings/Yates/Coles/etc) for HYDRO not soil

We are currently experimenting with Bunnings products for our 2 grows. So far so good!

Our first grow is using seasol, Yates dynamic lifter (liquid), and manutec liquid potash. Also Yates health tonic - chelates. It has now been in flower for 2 weeks and is covered in nice little flowers. Looks beautiful and healthy.... despite the fact that we nearly killed it earlier on trying to fight off spider mites. It has come back beautifully!!

The most recent grow is from seed. It is currently day 6 and the 2 seedlings are looking super healthy and have their 2nd set of real leaves coming thru already. One of these seedlings is using seasol, power feed (purple bottle as it has the lowest N), and I will probably use potash again and manutec trace elements. The other is using canna (not from Bunnings). They both look the same at this stage.

So it will be interesting to see how they turn out!

I should also mention we are using 50% coco 50% soil (the really good stuff... don’t bother even looking at the cheap ones), and we are watering daily with approx 15% run through.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Sorry was on my partners account yesterday. There’s lots of good ones... we have tried Scott’s premium organic (certified organic so great for medicinal purposes), but currently we are using osmocote vegetable mix. I’ll try to post some pics. Also we use osmocote seed raising & cutting mix for all our clones and seeds and have so far had 100% success... although we have only done 2 x clones and 2 x seeds.

post-63146-15193308993_thumb.pngpost-63146-151933090843_thumb.pngpost-63146-15193309156_thumb.png

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I seem to remember reading that Scott's in partnership w/Monsanto, was endeavouring to develop a gm glyphosate {roundup=cancer+++} resistant lawn strain....never bought anything from the company or affiliates again that I am aware of.  Never can tell though..  Never was too fussed about their product anyhoo.   Here's an old bit of fodder.

https://www.ecowatch.com/scotts-roundup-ready-gmo-grass-1915521468.html

Faith :sun:

Edited by Faith
  • Upvote 1

Yeah glyphosate is nasty stuff!! Most of the big names have products that use glyphosate though... as long the products I use do not contain it I’m happy [emoji108]

I work at Bunnings in the gardening dept so get to know the products pretty well [emoji16]

i think faith was mentioning what or who his money supports 

def a good idea not to use chemical sprays but maybe also good not to support companies that use or own the rights 

to these chemicals , maybe only putting your money behind more ethical companies trying to do the right thing by us & the environment 

which monsanto's past record says there only interest is financial , show me the money , so to speak 

your boss westfarmers have there moments considering who else they own & market pressures they can wheeled

Sorry was on my partners account yesterday. There’s lots of good ones... we have tried Scott’s premium organic (certified organic so great for medicinal purposes), but currently we are using osmocote vegetable mix. I’ll try to post some pics. Also we use osmocote seed raising & cutting mix for all our clones and seeds and have so far had 100% success... although we have only done 2 x clones and 2 x seeds.

attachicon.gifIMG_0202.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_0201.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_0200.PNG

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I've used them except the middle one.

The seed raising mix I have got good results with.

I didn't mind their organic compost which is the far right one but I grabbed a bag the other day that had fungus knats included I'm thinking due to a small tear in the bag I didn't spot.

What is most popular sales wise have you noticed?

I'd love a Bunnings employee take on it, obviously each store may be different but have you noticed any trends between all the bagged potting mixes and composts?

Any other trends you would like to share?

Cheers

Ah right... yeah good point faith & itchybro. Maybe I’ll try something else next time. I’d love to try a fully homemade organic mix. I’ve read a little about it, but don’t really have the space here to have compost heaps. We r moving in the next 12 months and a big yard is #1 in our priority list so maybe I’ll try it then. Out of curiosity... what do u use?

Carbcon... eeek! No definitely don’t want that! Did u take it back?

Sales wise... definitely the cheap & nasty. But our most common complaint is ‘my plant died’. When I ask what they planted it in and what they fed it, the answer is ‘just that cheap potting mix and water’. All plants need more than just water!!! At least until they r established!!! Ok rant over [emoji23]

Sales wise for the premium soil mixes... Scott’s osmocote range are the most popular. I think it’s because they have such a large plant specific range. Organic products are definitely trending... more and more ppl r going that way.

I should mention tho, there are different sized Bunnings stores. They are graded by size. So ours is a c grade store and they go up to e... I think! An e grade store is the biggest and will stock the complete range. As the grade goes down, there are less products available. However!!! Don’t forget they have over 15000 products available at the special orders desk so it never hurts to ask if u r chasing a particular product. I know there are stores that stock canna and other products, but mine doesn’t [emoji30] and I don’t really want to ask about it at the special orders desk cos they’ll know [emoji51][emoji23][emoji23]

• Upvote 1

my base mix 

1 part peat moss 

1 part compost or castings or 50/50 of both 

1 part aeration , like small scoria 7-10mm

a few amendments on top of that 

much better soil mix if for no other reason . it's alive , only if you've used active compost of cause 

if you just use the bagged compost product , i'm not sure how alive it is , if at all 

you def get better results when you control the inputs , keep in mind many ingredients in potting

mixes are a waste product from another industry , you'd have to figure , to keep prices down under $25 roughly 

there ain't much of the expensive good stuff in a mix & plenty of the cheap waste product 

was looking at a face cream i think it was , Aloe Vera stamped all over the container 

looked at ingredients , aloe vera is not cheap to add to products , there was 0.8% aloe = 99% not aloe 

so is it a Aloe Vera face cream with 99% not aloe vera in the container