Are my buds overdry?

the best way to kill Killer weed is to ,

dry to fast with a heater / fan 

dry to slow low temps high humidity  

have temps of over 26.6c / 80f = loss of volatile monoterpenes , smell 

humidity level controls drying the bud , temp controls at what speed 

some consider not going over 20c due to each strains terpene profile will be diff

& some of the volatile monoterpenes will gas off at 21c

if smell is of no interest , just use the shed 

• Upvote 1

If there's moisture in it I would not be jarring it, you need air movement to dissipate that moisture. There is no air movement in a jar.

You don't want direct air flow onto it, that will only dry it out more and not allow the moisture to come to the surface.

I understand it spinning with the fan and you say evenly drying, but it was only 'evenly' drying the outside surface.

Having a fan in the drying space is needed for air movement, but not focused on the buds, just so the air within the space is moving.

Hey James,

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in or near a city, go to Harvey Norman, tell them you're moving house and need boxes. Get the box/es with the largest floor area so you can spread the bud out. Or a supermarket, tell them you're moving house, fruit boxes work, just make sure they don't have a wax or plastic coating. Some fruit/produce needs to breath just like your buds, so some produce packaging is the breathable type. In the meantime laying it out on newspaper will work, but lay paper on top as well-like a sandwich, paper-layer of bud-paper. HINT- Boxes can be moved quickly and safely if needed. Newspaper sandwich, not so easy to move lol

Yep, newspaper's great, or good greaseproof paper as all the trichs and shake slide off easy.

If it's hot, you have to find ways to slow down the drying or you end up with crispy outside, wet inside.  Plus at the end it's near impossible not to overdry without constant monitoring.  Where I am, sometimes it's 40 degrees and 10% RH, can't be helped, but the box trick works okay.  At those times, I do jar or bag them up as they get dry on the outside, but only long enough for them to even back out, and have found myself doing that 3-4 times before jarring up and burping.  Even then I've ended up overdry a couple of times, when that happens I'll put a little bit of lemon rind (remove all the pith first) in a twist of greaseproof paper and chuck it in the jar until things rehydrate enough, works well.

Probably a little, but I find a lot of my strains have had a citrus element already, so I've gone with lemon, lime, or even orange to try and blend it in, if that makes sense.  I only use small pieces, and the paper stops any direct contact, so that might be why I've never noticed any real impact on the taste front????  Don't want to risk manky potato taste getting in though, so potato peels are a nono for me.

I've heard of hydrostones I think they're called, and those Boveda packs for humidors, being used to good effect, and they won't affect taste.