Government medicinal cannabis bill to be tested in Parliament

That is why its a joke in some parts of the USA.  People can get on medical MJ just because they claim to get a few headaches or don't sleep well..

Here it will be up to individual pharmacy's to sell it or not. If its approved most will. It will likely not be on the PBS so you can guarantee this will be all about business for both manufacturers and pharmacy.. I don't think we will see a time in Australia when Patients are allowed grow it.

Firstly, You can not patent a plant! You can only patent a product that is refined from the plant.. The reason pot is illegal is because the pharmacy companies spend Billions to help convince governments it dangerous and keep it illegal.  Why would any of these companies seriously bother to patent a cannabis derived product when it knows too that its not profitable because people can just grow the plant for free.. They have no control over it which means they see no profits. especially when MJ is able to replace many drugs that they do make Trillions on.

I also heard on the news today that they are now starting trials at Mator Hospital in Newcastle. Seems to be going full steam ahead which is good. Hope to see more relaxation on all grass soon too...

Just to correct my earlier post.. it is Mater not Mator and I only heard something about Cannabis trials on the news but I missed the segment. I could not find anything recent online but from researching it looks like trials were announced last year and would take place early this year according to articles like this http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-27/nation-first-cannabis-study-announced-at-newcastle-hospital/6650832 

So what I would guess they were talking about yesterday was that the trials were now starting and this might have also helped with some new developments? Maybe someone has more info....

The article mentions this which is interesting:

The trial involves using both vaporised leaf cannabis and a pharmaceutical and the first results are expected next year

Edited by TAdams

. The reason pot is illegal is because the pharmacy companies spend Billions to help convince governments it dangerous and keep it illegal.  Why would any of these companies seriously bother to patent a cannabis derived product when it knows too that its not profitable because people can just grow the plant for free.. They have no control over it which means they see no profits. especially when MJ is able to replace many drugs that they do make Trillions on.

Yes good points, just imagine if a popular drug grew on trees like antibiotics or something (some say garlic is similar) but if it did and was as effective then you would suddenly see a lot less antibiotics prescribed.

* Disclaimer, I would never use antibiotics myself unless I was extremely ill

I'm going to go back on past statements against Pharmas involvement, because the high I'm on has really got the grey matter pingin', and welcome it, because it's been long overdue.

In hindsight, most of what I believed was just my recreational opinion on a pharmacological issue, because in reality, their involvement was inevitable. And as much as we believed that our methods and procedures in administering medical cannabis to patients was the ducks nuts, their methods and procedures, and facilities, equipment, etc etc, seriously, we just couldn't compare. They will produce a far superior product than any of us could, on a much larger scale, which is the best outcome for medicinal marijuana patients.

Stumbled across a website for a company applying for a license to grow MMJ legally in Australia, for pharmaceutical production. Auscann is the name of the organisation, on appearance, it looks very organised, professional, businesslike..... This is big business and big Pharma working in unison to produce MMJ from start to finish, there will be no growing your own. But we knew that would happen.

But I'm happy for the patients, because now they will have legal access to what has been helping them cope with illness the most. One of my criticisms of the current situation, it's only trials, some are naturally derived, some are synthetic. I'm pretty sure, in the scientific world, if a trial fails, that's not a good thing, sort of brings your A+ down to an A, so to speak, so I hope they all work, though I have doubts on the synthetics, and here's why...

When you look at the evidence of cannabis extracts and tinctures, their medicinal benefits, and the positive effects these products have had on seriously ill people, one of the things that they all have in common is they were produced, basically using kitchen utensils and house hold goods. With the legalising came the engineers, and extraction methods and the equipment used, became much more developed. However, even with the technological advancement in extraction methods, the thread that binds every extraction method, every oil product, every tincture, every medible, regardless of strain or growing method?

Every drop of medicine was made from whole plant matter. Not one single, isolated cannabinoid, or synthetic reproduction of, but the entire, complex array of cannabinoids that were specific to the particular strain of cannabis that was used to produce the medicine.

Pharma needs to begin with what has been proven, not waste big dollars on synthetic rubbish that may possibly prove ineffective, but start with Pharmaceutical grade extracts from whole plant material. Benefit of doing this, wouldn't need to trial it, because the sick in our community have been forced to do it illegally for years, the hard yards we did for you....

It's going to be a long hard road to get recreational use legalised, even harder with Pharma involved in the MMJ industry, but we really need to look beyond their involvement in something that was created by people like us, and recognise the benefit that this will ultimately have on those in the community that have been medicating with cannabis, because it is the only medicine that works. Just wish science here would use its common sense, introduce cannabis oils and tinctures into the pharmacology arena without prejudice, because it has been proven to work and is required, well, yesterday!. If you think you can improve on what we created under cover of darkness, then go back to your little white lab, in your little white coat, and experiment then, but give the patients what they need now, and stop dicking around with your attempts to recreate perfection. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so get to supplying all eligible patients now, you have the means and technology, create the Steve Austin of cannabis oils and tinctures and heal the people, stop procrastinating and tell our ignorant government that cannabis as a medicine is a big thumbs up, so legislation can be introduced, and the sick can feel a little less guilty about trying to have a better way of life.

Ofcourse, not every illness will be included on the bill, so I guess we'll just have to continue to peacefully protest against cannabis legislation, grow our own and medicate ourselves, pledge to attend Nimbin Mardigrass, if not this year, then next, and put up with advertisements like stoner sloth, aswell as unjust victimisation by the legal system in relation to driving a vehicle while impaired, we have every right to be angry at that one, and continue to dream of a day when cannabis will line every suburban street, and society manages to get along just fine with one another.

But for now, atleast we can be happy that our sick are getting closer to achieving what most of us take for granted, a better quality of life, even if big Pharma supplies it to them.

Think the high is wearing off, need a recharge. Ciao.....

Well, I'm back and, HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! WTF AM I SMOKING?.... Think I'll name it pollie bud.Cop probably grew it using PGRs...( Police Greymatter Reversers)... Delete my previous post, or leave it as a dire warning for others not to peruse multiple media websites while stoned, over the period of a week, and begin to accept partial legalisation of medicinal cannabis, under any sort of regulated scheme, for a select few of the many that currently benefit from its medicinal benefits. Full, legal access to all forms of cannabis, from seed to extract, to all that choose to use cannabis for health and well being, at the bare minimum. This includes cultivating and harvesting the plant for personal use, on property owned by the medicinal cannabis patient, unless under agreement with landlord/property owner. Otherwise, self funded entrepreneurs may open medicinal cannabis dispensaries, extraction labs, testing labs, and most importantly, medicinal cannabis farms, so long as they follow current rules and regulations in relation to their chosen field. There, that makes a hell of alot more sense, might just put those buds in the 'maybe later' jar for now....

The establishment of a national cannabis cultivation scheme aims to pave the way for patients with painful and chronic conditions to access medicinal cannabis.

The proposed amendments to the Narcotics Drugs Act 1967 would allow for cultivation through a national licensing and permit scheme.

Health Minister Sussan Ley said the Government had briefed Labor and the Greens and was optimistic about receiving their support for the move.

"We know the Greens are supportive," Ms Ley said.

"In fact, I've had support across the chambers and around the country and I really believe this is bipartisan."

She hoped the legislation would pass both the House of Representatives and the Senate this sitting of Parliament.

Last year the Greens criticised the Government for not acting sooner on a cultivation scheme.

But Ms Ley said it was a complicated issue.

"This is very complex legislation given that it brings together so many different strands of so much at state and territory level," she said.

"We needed to make sure that we consulted with law enforcement, that we protect the integrity of the system and those who use it, and that we enabled the states to do what many of them are standing by ready to go ahead with."

Ms Ley said the Government had worked closely with the states and territories in developing the legislation.

She said the legislation did not relate to the decriminalisation of cannabis for general cultivation or recreational use.

"If states wish to decriminalise cannabis, then that's entirely a matter for them," Ms Ley said.

"This product is not one that you smoke, it's not something that might be out there illegally.

The new legislation follows a move to allow a small number of children with drug-resistant epilepsy to access a new cannabis-based drug in New South Wales.

The pharmaceutical drug, Epidolex, is still in a trial phase and has not yet received full approval from authorities, but the Government has now set the date of March for a compassionate access scheme to begin.

I'm sceptical. I would feel more at ease if the government had someone with real knowledge of cannabis and medicine, who does not have any vested interests in the production and sale of the herb, in charge. It is also an election year! I hope I am wrong but my cynical mind does not trust governments who are only in it for the tax and the votes. And I would not trust Ley as far as I could kick her. 

• Upvote 1

Here is how I see it.

The government suck arse and don't want any of you to have rights. We are simply pawns and they want as much of our money as possible.

The Current government received 60 million dollars in donations from big business players just during the last election.. People do not give away money for nothing. It basically a bribe but just like everything else the government have there own laws that do not apply to everyone else. The business's that donate millions get what they want. The people get nothing but more taxes and less freedom.

Mj will never be legal. Once it becomes a prescription medicine we will be in even more trouble for possession than we are now..

Also.. A good share of any budget for this will go towards experimental manufacture.. What they really want is to find a way to take out all of the psychoactive' substance from the plant while keeping all the medicinal substances... They just don't get it..  I believe pot is medicine in many different ways but for many people the high itself is the medicine. People with chronic pain, depression and or insomnia  need the THC component but the government are only interested in the medicine that may help epilepsy etc

Its a fucking JOKE! Not one person in 5000 years has ever died or even had any major side effects from using pot.  FUCK THE GOVERNMENT and fuck there stupid medical MJ trials.

I will grow my own and medicate myself instead of giving them money for some stupid pill that will probably be synthetic. 

Fuck the government!  I have to pay 5 times the amount for water than almost everyone else, I have to pay more for my power than many others. I am dead set sick of being treated second rate simply because i cant afford to buy my way out.. Ill grow my own and you can bet it will be 10 times better than any shit the government will produce and will cost me 10 times less

• Upvote 1

That is why its a joke in some parts of the USA.  People can get on medical MJ just because they claim to get a few headaches or don't sleep well..

Here it will be up to individual pharmacy's to sell it or not. If its approved most will. It will likely not be on the PBS so you can guarantee this will be all about business for both manufacturers and pharmacy.. I don't think we will see a time in Australia when Patients are allowed grow it.

Firstly, You can not patent a plant! You can only patent a product that is refined from the plant.. The reason pot is illegal is because the pharmacy companies spend Billions to help convince governments it dangerous and keep it illegal.  Why would any of these companies seriously bother to patent a cannabis derived product when it knows too that its not profitable because people can just grow the plant for free.. They have no control over it which means they see no profits. especially when MJ is able to replace many drugs that they do make Trillions on.

You absolutely can patent a plant. At least you can patent a hybrid that you produce. This is common in the cut flower industry, probably veges e.t.c.

Look up PVR, plant variety rights.

Edited by freddie