outdoor scrog help

Looks good, maybe a bit of fencing wire to make sure none of that mesh moves around.

I've been amazed at how much abuse some established canna plants can take without showing any signs of shock at all, but you still need to be careful as some strains are very sensitive to it.  But once you know they can take it and enjoy it, you can just hook in and do whatever needs to be done.  I did have one strain many years ago (about 20, and no idea what it was) that would completely shut down for near 2 weeks if I tipped it, or took more than a few leaves off it, so it pays to test their limits first.

Will be interesting to see what she looks like in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Looking good, id pull that mulch back from the main stem alittle specially if there is a dripper below. Od should start flowering this week so id guess plant will double if not tripple in size.. if height is a problem id add another screen or trellis when 30cm above first.

And. Keep up the seasol and ferts will get rather hungry soon.

• Upvote 1

Hey Crow,
                Looking nice, BUT, although Nay loves the "...precious antique cans..." I have a bit of a concern. When I first started doing SCROG I did something similar, but instead of using cans I used a stack of bricks and had my mesh sitting on top of them. In the middle of the night the mess slid off the bricks somehow and in doing so damaged multiple developing buds and the stems. Because of this damage the stems weeped which encouraged a huge mould infestation to set in. This is why I made up a steel frame on legs for my netting and now I can stand on the frame and the netting does not move, no more damage.
If you could secure the mesh somehow to those cans, even with just a piece of fencing wire (EDIT: doh, I've just read this back and recommend you follow SPH advice "...maybe a bit of fencing wire to make sure none of that mesh moves... lol ), it would be much safer imho.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I did end up securing the reo a little better - used some of that wire I found lying around to twitch the 2 pieces together in the corners lol

I'm sort of attached to the rustic look so the old cans and the surrounding shrub still support the whole setup.

I'm too slack and lazy to put much effort into this - I can't (or won't) get underneath to prune properly. 

It's just going into flower now and I've observed several browned bits in the newly forming buds.  I've also seen some caterpillars in the bush so I suspect they may be the culprits.  My action at this stage has been limited to plucking out the dead bits of bud.

med_gallery_51352_1514_886237.jpg   med_gallery_51352_1514_843458.jpg

med_gallery_51352_1514_80240.jpg    med_gallery_51352_1514_3437642.jpg

• Upvote 4