Vertical Growing

Hi Fellow Oz stoners,

Latley ive been very keen to do a vertical SOG grow.

Have seen the coli, cage and cube grows over at overgrow.com, and im just wondering has anyone tried this method of SOG growing before.

The coliseum looks unreal for people who have limited space and wanting big returns for there light. ie. the 300 site coli has 1800 watt of vertical light and returns about 10-14 grams per plant every 56 days.

Thats over 9 elbows or 1.25 grams per 30 days per watt of light in a 2m spare space.

Any info would be helpful.

Regards, Jack

I download and read the coi manual and it said that you should only have 1 main cola per plant (on 300 plant site) and veg it out till it reaches 30cm than flore it and make sure you trim all other under growth and leave the first 30cm to get one large 30cm cola per plant. So you end up with approx 25-30cm of trimed bottom stem per plant for air cirulation and so all the growth go into that one cola.

Jack

ya ive had this method, or a simular method recomended to me.

getting a 50x50 mesh cage rolled into a diametre of around 300mm and train the plant to twirl/rap around the outside of the cage, he said it takes what would be a 2m tall plant condensed into a much smaller plant, great for small area grows.

seeing as im only new to growing i havnt really thought of trying it tho.

People option please:-

RE: vertical grow cube - making myself

CUBE:Grow cube would have 5 trays - one on the bottom laid down flat and one each side stood up on its edge around the flat tray- each tray would have 100 SOG sites. So each cube would be a 500 SOG site.

Lighting would consist of 1 600watt MH and 1 600watt HPS.

Ive got a few issues with what to make the trays out of and how to put holes/pipes pieces in tray for every SOG site - also got a few issues with what watering system would be best.

Anyone options would be great.

Jack

Chev left this one to me. :B):

Our hydro system consists of a small submersible pump with a 12mm (1/2”) outlet, a 50 litre (11 gal) plastic tub with a lid (similar to “Rubber Maid” in US) for a reservoir, a programmable plug-in timer, an air pump and stone, some 12mm (1/2”) plastic pipe, 3mm (1/8") flexible tube, connectors and drippers. The 12mm (1/2”) plastic pipe, 3mm (1/8") flexible tube, connectors and drippers are all standard watering system parts.

The end of the 12mm plastic pipe connects to the pump, that and the power cord for the pump pass though a slotted hole in the reservoir lid, The pipe travels around the wall of the grow room and the end of it then fits through another hole in the lid, it has a few short lengths of the 3mm tube hot glued in the end to create pressure in the pipe. This also stirs the reservoir around and stops the nutrients form “settling out” of the mixture, the air sone helps with this and keeps the water oxygenated. We use the connectors to fit the 3mm tube to the 12mm and fit one of the drippers in the other end after cutting it to the right length. The nutrients that are used on the plants run to waste so using those plastic saucer things or water-well plant pots is a good idea, it is cheaper and less work for me to drain any excess used nutrient solution into the garden than it is for me to buy all the gear required to test, correct and maintain a “closed loop” system. We have also added the power head from a submersible aquarium filter and set it to come on with the pump, this really stirs up the reservoir and ensures the nutrients are well mixed.

We use a 70/30 perlite/vermiculite mixture for our grow media.

:D

hey tom thanks for the reply,

what im actually doing is putting round 35mm cups X 50mm deep neted pots on a 45 degress angle into the standup trays, which i then insert the rockwool cuting into these. Originally I was going to have a aeroponic watering system feeding from the back of the tray which would run back into the resi tank and recycled.

The roots just hang out of the pots in air ,inside the upright tray - could you use a drip system instead of a aeroponic system?

Thanks

Jack