Chlorine and Chloramine Clarification & Removal Tips

As I mentioned, I am qualified and work in this industry. I go to conferences on this and similar subjects, converse with other like minded professionals, and I assure you there is no such thing as being needlessly alarmed. Infact most everyone in these circles feels the same way I do.

The market is flooded with loads of bullshit products costing huge $$$, claiming to do gods work and yet simply don't.... why we look past getting our source water right in the first place is beyond me. 

Can I ask what would be stopping you and like minded professionals from getting together and campaigning to get the facts out there?

If there's enough of you maybe a massive strike would draw a bit of attention to the issue?

And I think you are needlessly alarmist.

As I mentioned, I am qualified and work in this industry. I go to conferences on this and similar subjects, converse with other like minded professionals, and I assure you there is no such thing as being needlessly alarmed. Infact most everyone in these circles feels the same way I do.

I thought you were being alarmist too, that's why I jumped on you a bit, no offense. You do seem a bit hung up on the fact that chlorine can be toxic/carcinogenic in some forms (when many chemicals and even vitamins that we take in on a daily bases have similar properties; in that acute expose can be toxic.) Do you actually believe that tap water consumption can lead to developing cancer or disease in those that drink it?

I found this on microbial / soil health vs tap water:

"I for sure wash my vegetables with potable water and for sure I wash my leafy greens with potable water, those are things that people eat raw," said Stretch, whose new book on small-scale farming, All the Dirt, comes out next month. "(Tap water) might be slightly damaging to the soil, but I don't think it's significant."

University of British Columbia soil scientist Sietan Chieng said that there are so many variables — from temperature, soil condition, concentration of chlorine and other physical and biological properties of the water and soil — that to determine the effect of chlorinated water on soil microfauna is nearly impossible.

He judges the effect of tap water irrigation of house and garden plants to be "neutral in the short term and negative for long-term use."

"Use rainwater (or natural groundwater) as much as possible and use tap water as a supplement as needs arise," said Chieng, who is also a home gardener.

but they also conclude:

"Water coming out of your tap is about as dead it could be," said Chatterjee. Not what plants are meant to thrive on.

http://www.vancouversun.com/homes/water+killing+your+soil/6092001/story.html

Also off a random gardening site:

Researchers have found that chlorinated drinking water may kill the number of microorganisms in soil or a compost pile. However, their reproduction rate is so rapid populations rebound in a short time. Under normal conditions, chlorinated water will not threaten microorganism populations. One reason chlorinate water has little impact is that chlorine binds to soil particle surfaces. This immobilizes chlorine and reduces its ability to kill microorganisms. The organisms in the topmost surface of soil or a compost pile may be affected after irrigation but as the water moves downward little chlorine remains. In one study, researchers found that water chlorinated at 5 parts per million killed organisms only in the top half inch of soil. Organisms deeper than one half inch were thriving. The amount of chlorine in drinking water is quite low. In order to kill soil microorganisms to 6 inch soil depth, water containing 65 parts per million of chlorine was required in one study. Drinking water usually contains much lower chlorine levels. For example, Colorado Springs Utilities water contains between 0.05 to 0.90 parts per million of chlorine, 70 times below the threshold level. Microorganisms reproduce rapidly. In one study, researchers continuously applied highly chlorinated water to soil for 126 days. Two days after they stopped, the soil microorganism populations reached pre-treatment levels at all depths of soil.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1548.html

Bummer that page doesn't cite or link the actual research.

Edited by pegz

As I mentioned, I am qualified and work in this industry.

Yep, and I still think you are being alarmist. I used to work for a water bottling company and heard similar things from the marketing branch... if you are in the business of selling water or water purification devices, be careful not to buy into the advertising too much, that's for the chump customers you've taught to fear their taps.

if you are in the business of selling water or water purification devices, be careful not to buy into the advertising too much, that's for the chump customers you've taught to fear their taps.

Quite the opposite, let's just say I work for the government in a totally unbiased environment. My own testing/observations/experiments/logged data have landed me at these conclusions.

I don't blame you being skeptical after working for a company that has monetary gain to be had, tho let me assure you I have nothing to gain by providing this info here except opening fellow growers minds to the truth.

Edited by ConvexConepiece
  • Upvote 3

Next indoor grow I'll water one side of the tent with regular tap and the other side with water that has been sat and aerated... yes, I'm sure it is only chlorine that is being used locally... so we'll have a look at whether there is any difference in plant health.

But when you start with...

G'day everyone. If you're looking to increase your plant health, and ultimately you're harvest, read on and look no further than purifying the toxic source water our government -forces- upon us (at least those of us using town water). You will be surprised, and likely shocked after reading this.

My internal bullshit-o-meter just lights up and I am inclined to be sceptical.

PS. if your tap water gets down to 5.8 pH that's not good to drink either, infact the body prefers an alkaline pH over 8.

Internal pH regulation is not related to the pH range of water consumed. We'd be in real trouble if it did.

Edited by louise

Internal pH regulation is not related to the pH range fluids consumed.

Wrong. Continual drinking of acidic water as your main source of fluid can certainly alter the body's pH albeit not usually significantly. Look up Chronic acidosis for more info. 

However I wasn't talking about the bodys pH, rather that acidic water en route to your home strips lining from pipes and carries the heavy metals etc into your cup.

Anyway this is getting far off topic, i'd much rather keep this thread about plant nutrition.

Edited by ConvexConepiece

Can I ask what would be stopping you and like minded professionals from getting together and campaigning to get the facts out there?

If there's enough of you maybe a massive strike would draw a bit of attention to the issue?

Same sort of issue as legalizing cannabis. There's strong evidence to support it however the government has a stance and they simply would not budge.

Most of us work for the government and risk our jobs to speak up. The media usually refuses to publish much on this topic unless it's a viral outbreak.

Might sound selfish but we generally just look after ourselves and immediate families by utilizing RO/UV systems in the home.

It would likely cost billions to change the way our water supply is delivered and we all know politicians are too busy lining their own pockets to have that kinda budget.