Chlorine and Chloramine Clarification & Removal Tips

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2737/

OMG Cyanide! Does this mean we should all stop eating apples? See what I did there?

I'm not really worried about 3ppm of a substances that has proven to be safe for animal and plant consumption, (or at least for terrestrial species.) My only concern is for soil health.

For one you don't consume apple seeds.

And two, what makes you think it's safe for human consumption? Are you believing what the government tells you? The government also tells us that marijuana is a dangerous drug. You don't believe that do you? Don't fool yourself.

And no one has even started on the fluoride problem yet. Do you actually know what fluoride is and where it comes from? I think not because you wouldn't be drinking the shit if you did. Fluoride is toxic waste. Chlorine is pretty much bleach..

Why doesnt anybody seem worried that they are poisoning our drinking water?

And don't give me that tinfoil hat shit. You gotta be kidding yourself if you actually think the government is out for your best interests!

• Upvote 2

Just playing devil's advocate here... what would happen if the govt wasn't adding anything to the water supplies?

I'm unsure of what you mean by this....?

Evidence suggests that they are adding stuff to our water.

Or are you asking would our water deteriorate without all the additives and be more unhealthy to drink?

Edited by onemancrew

Just playing devil's advocate here... what would happen if the govt wasn't adding anything to the water supplies?

People would get sick, simple as that.

Adding chemicals to kill pathogens is not ideal but it's better than having a third world water supply.

But I'm referring to the way we treat our water, not just adding chlorine.

Yes, what would the outcomes be if no chlorine/chloramine was added i'm honestly curious

Well people have been consuming water on this planet for hundreds of thousands of years with no additives so I think it would be fine myself. If anything they could run it through a clear pipe exposing the water to sunlight. Sunlight apparently kills any harmful bacteria from what I've researched.

People would get sick, simple as that.

Adding chemicals to kill pathogens is not ideal but it's better than having a third world water supply.

But I'm referring to the way we treat our water, not just adding chlorine.

Mother earth has everything we need to sustain life. There is no need for artificial interference by governments trying to play god.

• Upvote 1

Without disinfection yes there would be bacteria and people would die absolutely.

There is however other methods for solving this that does not include adding chlorine, flouride and the like.

For one they could make an inline UV sterilizer mandatory in homes on the consumers end.... 

Anyway i'm hoping not to stray too far away from the original topic, which is that depending on the method you use to grow removing the chlorine in particular could be beneficial.

Unfortunately, as with most studies, there aren't any specific to cannabis (that i'm aware of) that account for the differences and variables that the usual hydroponic/indoor especially grower uses so it's hard to give everyone some magical scientific study on this as it simply hasn't been done long term specifically relating to cannabis or any other fruits that we smoke (combusting something changes the chemical properties of it if you're unaware). 

I can however prove without a doubt that everyone here growing "organic" plants in soil are having much of their beneficial bacteria (nitrifying/denitrifying bacteria among others if you want to read up yourself) killed every time they water and are unlikely to actually achieve a proper ecosystem within their substrate due to this.

Same goes with hydro growers who use bacteria additives in their water column....

The point of this thread was AWARENESS as I feel it's not often talked about in cannabis circles. I am not going to claim bullshit numbers like you will see 10% extra yield or anything but for a simple extra step in your water change schedule you can eliminate these hidden issues.

Once again, chlorine has been proven as a carcinogen. The definition of which means that traces of this are staying in the buds after harvest and YOUR SMOKING IT. Not to mention drinking it from the tap. Or eating fruit with it.

Yes we differ from aquatic wildlife in that we do not absorb strait into the bloodstream but heck we aren't all that different so if it kills my fish in seconds then what is it doing long term to our ENTIRE population?? This generation and the next?? Scientists will probably find out too late. I've always thought that we will wipe ourselves out one way or the other and making the population sterile is up there on the possibility list.

Food for thought, do with it what you will.

FYI, depending on the study you may read, flouride is a prime ingredient in anti-depressants if your into conspiracy theories and all. It is definitely however a VERY toxic byproduct of manufacturing processes and I for one know full well that accidental overdosing of town water happens frequently.... :twiddle: Once again there are no STANDARDS for our drinking water, only GUIDELINES which make it easy for councils to "comply".... and hard to make them accountable for errors.

Infact if you read enough on this subject you will find that the leading government scientist in charge of initially determining a safe level for flouride in the US had his final report IGNORED by officals and they chose something like double his recommended dose so he quit, and as you all know we tend to copycat the US so...

Edited by ConvexConepiece

They are talking about this exact topic on the radio at the moment, apparently you can treat water with ozone. It's a very safe way being basically oxygen therapy for water. The Russians do it like that so they said.

So there ya go, there's many ways to get the same result without using toxic chemicals.

ffs..... just let ya water sit for 24 hours before ya use it and the chlorine will evaporate. It's not that hard.

I live where theres only bore water and I can tell ya more people get sick drinking un-treated water than from drinking chlorinated water.

Untreated water can carry anything from aemebic menengitis to hepatitis and every bacteria inbetween you can imagine.

Maybe back in caveman days water was safe to drink untreated, but even they had to find a clean fresh flowing water source. Not so easy these days.

Even then, one dead animal pollutes the water source..... you in big trouble......

CC mate, you bring up a good point about Beneficial bacteria and growing, some people also try and use beneficial bacteria in aerated systems which will kill it as well. Sure someone will find out they need to remove their chlorine in a Bacteria based system from this thread.

:peace: Nibbler

Edited by The Hash Nibbler