Potential outcome of legalization?

Tobacco companies have mixtures made up of leaf which is the premium product and then fillers like stem and tobacco dust which give their product a unique taste, smell, strength,  etc.  I think that model will be pushed by tobacco companies because all that will be required by them is changing crops and they won't just have a big foot in the market they'll dominate it in an instant.   They have the money to push for things like vigorous crop testing, standardisation,  limiting the amount of active chemicals like how ciggies come in 2-16mg nicotine per serving,  etc. So they have the potential to come charging in and take out all homegrown hehehe competition. 

I highly doubt they will be able to mix with tobacco but I'd bet good money that something like that will happen which will result in the standard of cannabis being lowered in favor of quantity to keep prices low.  My guess is that packs will be available the same as ciggies now at bottle shops and will cost twice the amount as a pack of smokes.  There will always be a market for really well grown and harvested buds which I imagine them trying to cater to as well but thats the way I see things going.

Look at the big picture this is the plant which has the potential to i believe save the planet earth from human destruction!and then my legal aid solicitor replys back to me''your phycotic and you will end up  under a train! :doh: ''To which i replied ''no i feel quite rational thanks''.

Then he goes on to tell me hes an x cop.

I have been a cannabis self medicater for over 30 years .I truely believe it is far safer and more benificial for myself than perscription medication the doctors have had

me take .They give me nothing but problems..

But the law says otherwise so now i become a criminal for growing a few plants to self medicate.

The world is a mixed up place.

peace and love. :afro:

sorry bit off topic,  this shit happened to me today.

Edited by oldfark

I think Cali is a good example of how things could go, at least from the med perspective.

Tonnes of potential for agri uses. Wouldn't it be great to see big fields of hemp under cultivation?

If nothing else, there'd be a lot of happy stoners out there!

Phyto.

Can't say I'd be thrilled about the naturally self pollinating hemp seeding up my plants or the effort and expense of trying to keep my plants pollen free such as using a carbon filter to filter the air before entering my growing area.  Would be a small price to pay though so I'd be all for it still :)

Yeah dude, I'd be happy to have to deal with that problem! If we could grow as many plants as we wanted, then it would matter less about whether they all come cropper or not.

I have been thinking about this and it could go the other way, as in it could become legal like tobacco. Tobacco is legal to possess and smoke, but illegal to grow. That way, the monoply and money is kept by the rich. I don't see why legalization of cannabs would be different you know. That outcome would kind of suck IMHO.

Phyto.

Edit: Whoops, I see you already made that point Doc!

Edited by Phytogenesis

Guys tobacco is not illegal to grow. It is illegal to sell it cos it knocks out the middleman, therefore no tax.

If cannabis is made legal and controlled by the government then it will be a monumental fuck up, they can't even run this beautiful country properly now with the normal day to day shit, let alone adding another dimension to control.

Imo it would have to be legalised federally so that all states go online at the same time. Then there would be no reason to have a black market.

Alcohol is legal. I haven't seen any evidence that the home brewers are hurting the sales of beer.

Home brew kits aren't illegal.

If you look at all the people in here and elsewhere who grow personally and then look at all the grow ops getting, busted then more popping up all over, I don't think the personal home grower would put a dent in the sales of legal cannabis.

I would be more inclined to legalise the manufactured garage drugs first, so there is more control over the quality.

Edited by brick

i feel sure it would become regulated to the point that it felt like nothing had changed. from a growers perspective. if you just buy your weed, then i think it would be revolutionary, ability to buy it from shops all over town.

what are the laws in amsterdam regarding growing? can anyone grow?

brick, where did you hear that tobacco isn't illegal to grow? i am sure i've heard otherwise.

I searched the net. AQIS, who control everything that is a plant, either coming into the country or already here, I could not find anywhere, on their site, were it is written that growing tobacco is illegal. That was a few years ago.

I could be wrong though and if so apologies.

Check out the AQIS web site if you have lots of time. Very intersting place to spend a few hours.

Nibbs will tell you if it is legal or not in Amsterdam, I think it is illegal to grow there.

I think in Amsterdam they say that the front of the coffee shops are legal while the back is illegal.  They form a grey area that keeps consumers away from the criminal element due to cannabis still being illegal to cultivate there.

I don't think cannabis will be legalised in Australia on the federal level.  They can do it but it would require the government control everything to stay within our UN obligations.  Everything would be tracked, farmers would be forced to sell their entire crops to the government, home growing would almost certainly remain illegal, etc.  I also imagine that the government would decide to take lessons from the tobacco industry by selling pre-rolled blends of bud, leaf and stem to try and increase profits.  Some people like 2mg ciggies, some 12mg and I bet that like every other commercial grower the government will give zero fucks about us while claiming to give us more options at price ranges that suit everyone.  They'll stinge out on us with quality, prices will remain extremely high, to protect their cash cow home growing will likely remain illegal and they will never pay the farmers a decent income as cannabis is so easy to grow. 

Honestly I'd rather decriminalisation for recreational reasons and outright legalisation for medicinal ones.  Doing so wouldn't screw our international obligations to the war on drugs while effectively ending it for cannabis at home.  Its far from ideal as the plant shouldn't be illegal in the first place but as it is illegal we need to either change the laws (good luck with that) or find a loophole and abuse it to its fullest potential to at least get some of what we want.  Medicinal scene in America is a perfect example of that and now the world hasn't ended and money is starting to flow into government coffers everyone is starting to think legalisation is a great idea.  It really is just a matter of time before we win this war on drugs but as the victors we need to set the terms of their surrender and make sure that they don't secretly get the last laugh by screwing us like I mentioned they could in the above paragraph.  If that happens we will have done much worse than just lose the war so personally I think decriminalisation could actually be better than legalisation because at least then it ends in a draw and the power remains with the people.