3Grows per bulb MH and HPS

As you'd be aware ITIC, all globes are not equal. You can remove the guess work by investing $40 in a lux meter. 

if you have a smart phone you can get a lux meter app free. granted its not going to be 100% accurate but it is a great tool for gauging the difference between lamps and checking your grow space to see if your getting even light coverage etc. i love mine i use it all the time.

edit the app is called "hydroponic light tester"

Edited by forgetiwashere
  • Upvote 1

I am running 2 lumatek  digi-ballast  with phillips son-t's and have  no problem's at all.

Running the same last year for 2 grows also no issues .

It's buyer beware then I guess.

I tested everything - the sonT worked with a mag ballast and I tried three timers. 

I could have got a dud lumaktek but in the end GlandoreHydro where aware of the problem and steared me to a luca.

if you have a smart phone you can get a lux meter app free. granted its not going to be 100% accurate but it is a great tool for gauging the difference between lamps and checking your grow space to see if your getting even light coverage etc. i love mine i use it all the time.

edit the app is called "hydroponic light tester"

Cheers lol, I dont think Id be downloading an app to my IP/Phone/roaming idenity. Some call me paranoid, I call it careful.

TY for all the input, Ill watch that. I have a SON T agro to go in next and Im running a swichable 600W lumatek digital ballast.

I remeber the mag ballast had to go because it was waaay to loud, and apparently if your in the know then the HUM of a mag abllast is a bit of a give away.

When I set up, I learned that Smell and sound are your major enemies.

So cheers all. I have a Sunny 600W ballst that never fired, I might try different bulb in it to see if there is any life in her at all.

• Upvote 1

You should get at least 10,000 hours out of a HPS or MH lamp.

I just replace my HPS for intermitttant firing at around 10,000 use.

Good idea to change the lamp every 2 years, before you have firing issue's

yeah I like the idea of changin the bulb before she blows up as well, there are dome horror stories on line, fires etc !!

better safe than sorry

I think we'd all agree that it makes sense to use components that where designed to fit together. (with so may different producers of hardware there's bound to be some problems.) 

FIWH, you will soon have a cutting edge digi-ballast, WITH appropriate globe. And with your APP - it's the perfect opportunity to test this theory!

Will you keep tabs for us?

Hmmm....I have a Son-T in the wings to be fired by the 400w Lumatek.  This has been a coolo thread.  Its the little hints like keeping an alert stance in case of failure to fire

w/Son-T/Lumatek tip.  its like bummer, but now we are aware it may happen and something to be watchful of. We ready :thumbsup: ....just in case.....contingency- as soon as son-t goes in time for a spare lol  these are little gems of experience and knowledge shared and integrated that I really appreciate. 

Peace stroners. v :sun:

Yeah I dont have another 1000 to compare it to though and as I said I dont know how accuratw the app os but I should at least be able to tell if im happy and the plants are happy with the new setup

Was thinking more of testing depreciation of lumens over the grow to see if this '3 grow per bulb' claim holds any weight. 

I reckon you may have been losing globes because they're not designed to handle the frequency that digis put out ( mags fire up slower )

if it doesn't hold up with your gear then we could safely call bullshit

No its true. Digital ballasts arent as good as all the early hype. In fact in most cases your better off running magnetic ballasts. Digital ballasts kill lamps. When used with proper digital lamps they excel but if your running standard lamps your better off spending half the money and getting mag ballasts.

Mag ballasts are more reliable too in my opinion. I havnt had to replace a mag yet and I have one I bought in the 90's yet I have replaced 2 digi ballasts after only 2 yrs

Hey man just to share my experience,

I was running my old 600w mag ballast for about 10 years thinking this way grand. But my local shop had me bring it in to them and attched a wattmeter to it. I found that although it was still running after all these years it was only producing 560 odd watts. Apparently an issue for a few reasons 1stly because this may strain globes and 2ndly because this is my ownly light source i was giving my girls less wattage than they deserved.

So you know