Around this neck of the woods Kookaburra is top of the food chain. There a couple of raptors up in the " High Places " but they never seem to come down, No other foe is any match for that big old beak of Kookaburra, so around these parts he is very regal. I have never researched Kookaburra, no need to. Everything I learn from Kookaburra is relational and from observation.

For the past seven years I have coincided my early morning walks with Kookaburra's call as he declares ownership of his families turf.

I have counted at least six resounding colonies in my immediate earshot, a truly magnificent manifestation of Natures wonders. Very long calls.

About five years ago I met " Angelos " I have named to personify as I do not know gender.

post-46914-0-53754200-1356458683_thumb.jpg

Why Angelos first started coming I know not, I have never fed nor set out breeding boxes etc.

post-46914-0-04306900-1356458826_thumb.jpg post-46914-0-64232500-1356458639_thumb.jpg

He used to visit about twice a year, however since I have been back on the weed his visits have become more frequent.

I have the pleasure of his company for fifteen to twenty minutes during which I observe mutterings of indescribable utterences.

I did not choose Kookaburra. Kookaburra chose me.

I am a very grateful individual

peace everybody :bongon:

The Old C(o)unt

post-46914-0-28678000-1356459173_thumb.jpg

Edited by sharpie
  • Upvote 2

you can only sex them when they nest any other time you got no hope.the male will be dominant with with nesting the most aggressive quite savage killing its young and moving on other siblings too suit. cool birds. any other time of the year you will struggle to notice any sex difference or behavior in the birds. ive studied this guys for about 12 years where I live sharpie pretty cool adventure.. . Edited by magpie4747
  • Upvote 2

Hey magpie,

12 years hands on experience ? then you must have a great interest and/or great enjoyment in the presence of Kookaburra.

Is your interest extended to all birds or particularly Kookaburra ?

I am really interested mate. I find the whole experience of my time with Kookaburra totally captivating.

Thanks for the great info

sharpie :bongon:

Looks like very similar markings there magpie. What a magnificent creature !

For the first time I heard a colony call yesterday directly across the road very close. The day before Angelos was sitting on my fence and gave a short call .

Like I said his visits are much more frequent since I have come back to the weed, albeit coincidental. He came twice last week.

My only other experience with Kookaburra was 50 kms away while camping on the headland. I encountered ( him ) when first arriving and he came to the campsite every morning.

I only heard the one call which only lasted about 5 or six seconds. I did see huge sea eagles around. His markings were different, more white and he had a bit more plumage on his head. He would come on a branch about a meter and a half above my head, but he did not stay long. Every visit he had a pesky Butcher Bird about four feet away nutting off at him not game to get any closer of course, then attacking his back on top as they were flying.

Good talking to ya magpie

sharpie

Edited by sharpie

There is a war going on across the road between 2 colonies. There is a kooka with a fledgling in my tree 2 meters from me. Have you ever seen the such close up Maggy?

Don't know where my visitor is in all this haven't seen him for a while. There has also been a lot of activity with the willy wagtails as well. As I write a whole colony is calling from my tree.

What a buzz :bongon:

• Upvote 2