NSW parliamentary inquiry into medical cannabis - due Feb 15

mjbarratt

Question

I thought contributors to this part of OZStoners would be very interested in this inquiry. Here is a quote from NSW parliament media release:

On 22 November 2012, the NSW Legislative Council referred an Inquiry into the medical use of cannabis to General Purpose Standing Committee No. 4. The Committee, chaired by the Hon Sarah Mitchell MLC of The Nationals, includes representatives of the Australian Labor Party, the Greens and the Liberal Party.

The motion to refer the Inquiry to General Purpose Standing Committee No. 4 was put forward by Labor member the Hon Luke Foley MLC, and was agreed to without opposition from Council members.

The Committee Chair, Mrs Mitchell said, 'The Committee will be examining the safety and efficacy of cannabis for medical purposes as well as considering if and how cannabis should be supplied for medical use. In addition, the Inquiry will investigate the legal implications of cannabis use for medical purposes, as well as any other related issues.'

'There is a diverse collection of views held on this issue by the community, and the Committee wishes to hear from the widest possible range of stakeholders.'

Submissions are now being called for by the Committee from interested organisations and individuals. The closing date for submissions in Friday 15 February 2013.

The Committee will to hold two Sydney hearings, in March 2013. Detailed information about the dates and times of these hearings will be advertised on the Committee website following the closing date for submissions. The Committee is scheduled to report to the House by 14 May 2013.

For further information about the Inquiry, including its terms of reference, and for more on how to make a submission, please visit the Committee's website at: www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/gpsc4, or call the Committee Secretariat on (02) 9230 3081

Click here to lodge your submission - before 15 Feb 2013!

And if you haven't already, you can also complete our anonymous study of Australian cannabis growers. We will be using this information to make an official submission to the inquiry so this is another way you can have your voice heard.

• Upvote 11

Bricks right about the way labor got Garrett & why.

I wondered at the time why Garrett didn't join the greens. One would've thought he'd be a real thorn in the side of the conservatives.

The greens = the fairies from the bottom of the garden party. Fair dinkum lunatic fringe, indoctrinated brain washed idealists without a fucking clue  [The greenies insisted on no back burning in Vic. which resulted in the horrifying Black Saturday fire storm.]  I can't talk to them, like talking to a born-again, a complete & utter waste of time.

Bob, of course someone turning conservative has nothing to do with financial comfort?

• Downvote 1

I dont' know if that's true of everyone, MrTrimbole - I was a lot more conservative in my youth, but after witnessing corruption etc first hand, I'll end up being a full blown anarchist if this keeps up.

I think politics would be very interesting if it were set up to have one old and one young person serving at the same time. Election time would be like boxing, but instead of weight divisions, you have age divisions. It would make question time in parliament a lot more interesting, that's for sure :D

I don't think it is a matter of turning conservative as you get older. Priorities change, marriage, chrildren paying for that Ozzie dream, a house, makes one become more responsible, your ideals may not change but your circumstances do, you have to tow the line sometimes or your life can become harder to handle.

I have been a hippie surfer since about 18 but if you passed me in the street you would probably look at me and think "old codger what would you know". My ideals and dreams never changed inwardly but on the outside, to survive and enjoy my smoke and now occasionally catch a wave, you have to fit in with mainstream society so you change outwardly and think of self preservation and feeding the family, you become more responsible because others rely on you for food, education and a safe healthy life.

I think Garett became very disillusioned after being screwed over, I give him credit for sticking it out in a party that is run like the KGB. Not like that young liberal member can't remember his name but he was of Chinese blood who just up and quit after about 12 months or so or less. Who is now entitled to get a parlimentary pension for life.

Any way this is getting off topic. Hell will freeze over before we see a state or fed party have the balls to decrimialise or legalise cannabis. We need to get away from the Westminster British system of parliment and create our own system. This can only be done by the new generations coming along. But who would want a job like that. Shit pay, cannot make a mistake without the media coming down on you, could never admit to taking drugs at any age without backlash.

• Upvote 1

The greens = the fairies from the bottom of the garden party. Fair dinkum lunatic fringe, indoctrinated brain washed idealists without a fucking clue  [The greenies insisted on no back burning in Vic. which resulted in the horrifying Black Saturday fire storm.]  I can't talk to them, like talking to a born-again, a complete & utter waste of time.

The greens weren't responsible for Black Saturday. You want to talk about a lunatic fringe in society, try the bastards that actually start the fucking fires in the first place. We lost Brian Naylor that weekend, I lost my father aswell........Rip all those victims of some ignorant, murderous bastards stupidity.

• Upvote 1

Nothing could be further from the truth Brick.

I stand corrected lou. Then they did not want him as an independant? Either way he was suckered.

"Yeah but there is one common, you all still smoke pot which keeps the fire burning on the inside.

Those who have stopped smoking pot and have moved on are the ones i am talking about and there is a huge % of them".

Agree with that Mr T.  Some of the stoners that stopped smoking probably had not much choice because of the illegality of the herb or got sick of the name calling and risk of a bust that would fuck them up for life if convicted. Not all of the flower power chrildren could or wanted to stay that way. Personally I just wanted to keep smoking, do my job well as a worker then as a business owner, pay my share of tax, make sure my wife and son never went without, you all know the story, etc etc, you just could not achieve that looking like a hippie stoner it was not acceptable, people looking at you like you had two heads if your hair was long or you looked different to the guys that wore safari suits with big collared shirts. Now it does not matter about such trivial things as long hair and dress type.

Edited by brick
  • Upvote 1