Help.... Pruning Nightmare

Wondering if anyone can help...

My mate picked up a couple of clones which are proving to be a little tricky to prune. First of all, he doesn't know what strain they are, but they sure are bushy, and I mean BUSHY, the nodes are about 10mm apart all the way up and along each branch.

Secondly, normally, strains of MJ send out 2 sets of leaves at each node, these alternate ( see diagram). Which means tipping and fimming kindo of do different things.

Problem=> these buggers are so densely noded, with leaves coming out everywhere, we can't see a bloody thing in there, and I think some of the lower growth shoots may be affected... should he take out some fans?

If it helps, the set up is a 90cm square scrog with 400w son-t-agro, food is hydrofeast with nitrozyme added....

This pic was taken 3 days ago, 1 week into veg... :D

post-1-1078129772_thumb.jpg

G'day Gringo :D

Mate, you're not wrong about her being bushy, based on the pic. As she is so bushy, why do you want to tip her?

Personally, I'd just let her veg a little longer and see how she goes. Tip it when she gets closer to the screen and trim any unnecessary undergrowth off later (about 2 weeks into flower).

I wouldn't cut off any fans or leaf just yet (but that just my opinion) I'd leave em be for another week. They look nice and healthy.

Keep us posted

:D Tugboat :)

sweet, thanks, :D

just been round to have a chat with my mate... he took about 1/2 a dozen fan leaves off two plants and we both gawked down from above and can see a lot more growth tips, which I guess means they can now see the light too. He needed to tip just to slow the top growth down a bit cause both clones came with a low down chunky side shoot and they need to catch up to the top so we can fim 'em.

We probably won't take any more off for about a week as you suggested, but I don't reckon what he did has really done too much harm so thats cool.

Will let you know how things go...

Guest weekprik

removing leaf is NEVER a good idea as its the leaf that makes energy for the plant and if you remove its energy then it can stress or even stop growing. as it normally regrows the leaf.

Stonedas told me once that the best thing to do is NOT to remove the leaf But too cut it in half or even better try and turn the leaf so that its sideways to let more light in.

that bush looks alot like the AK99 that I grew out.

that bush looks alot like the AK99 that I grew out.

serious?... you've seen something like this before? what should we expect mate? I've grown a few different outdor varieties but I've never had any with this alternating growth pattern.. do you know if there are many like it... that is, how much of a chance is it that it IS AK99?

Anywayz, thanks for your advice.. luckily the 6 or seven fans my mate took off don't seem to have done much damage, now that he can see into the plant structure he's begun a bit of supercropping to train the plants out for the screen... a total pro at that game (not that I've seen anyone to compare him too except on the net)

will get pics as things develop

that plant wont stay that small and dense once your about 2 weeks into 12/12 it'll streach im just over 2 weeks into 12/12 and my plants growing 1 inch a day 12 inch tall at the moment i only have another 12 inch of growing room so i hope it pulls up soon :D but yeah my last 3 grows have been the same as yours the plant stays very small for the first month... you will notice abig difference is growing speed once your in the first few weeks of 12/12 good luck nice looking plant too

Guest BudWaver

YOu may need to lower your lights...the good thing about using wire mesh for a scrog is you can sit your light on top of the mesh and it wont melt...whereas plastic....is another story

Ultra bushy plants like those can be because they ARENT getting enuff light close to em...think of it like the sun...if you move it further away like 50% further away it should theoretically give off 50% less light and your indoor lights are nowhere as powerful as the sun...

budwaver in my chamber i have my light 250hps about 2.5 foot from my plants and my lux meter is reading 3000+ lux its off the scale so in my case its not cause the light is futher away but my plants stay small and compact untill 2 weeks into 12/12 than spring up i should have pictures soon im about 19 days 12/12 :D

I didn't read all the posts so bare with me if i'm repeating mia selfa!

1- Those fan leaves act as solar panels for energy!

2- They will actually exelerate the growth, no more chopping!!!!

3- To give more light to the undergrowth, tie the main shoots down sideways!

La bella Marajuana is a surviver and she'll take care of herself!

It will get light some how, those undergrowth are tricky little buggers and they'll find light even if you don't help em! :D