Dry Rusty leaves

Please help as this is my first grow & plant has lost alot of leaves & are really dry & have spots & patches that look like rust on them. Have had trouble with heat over 30 & humidity between 20 & 30%. Also have some sought of bugs that are in the dirt that fly out of the dirt when disturbed. Have also noticed in the soil run off that there are these really really really little white worm things, that squirm. I'm only growin 3 plants in my cupboard in my room, I'm using a organic potting mix & a 400 watt HPS. Any help on my problems would be so very much helpful.

post-47051-0-74427500-1334244739_thumb.jpg

post-47051-0-97098200-1334244940_thumb.jpg

post-47051-0-79176300-1334247371_thumb.jpg

fungal gnats ! thats the flying insects, they live in the soil eating the fine young roots of plant ... must be stopped ... hard to eliminate once they are established ... look for ' gnat off ' ,' neem oil', works to a degree

look in hydro shop ask what they got .... check OzStoners Forums with a quick search in the top right-hand corner of this page ... many folk have had same problem as you , so search these forums and learn what others have used

thank you very much and hope your gnats die a shocking death screaming for mercy ...

all da best

:peace:

• Upvote 1

Heya Wzc =) , Agree with Frazz. Gnat off or something strong, neem will work as a drench in the soil to get em, and hang heaps of yellow sticky traps around for the adults..... we refer to them as "The Borg", get on top of them, fast, or they will assimilate your grow.

The sick and dying leaves are a result of the gnats and their larvae introducing desease/fungas into the plants. Good luck, hit em hard.......Peace. Nibbler.

Once you have killed the little nasties... prevent them from returning.

-be vigilant and inspect plants for signs of insect infestation

-always use clean substrates (soil, coco, whatever) with good drainage

-don't over water and don't leave plants sitting in drip trays of water

-keep the grow space clean, remove old plant material and debris

The other thing mentioned was rusty patches on the leaves... to me it looks like splash burn but it is a bit difficult to really say for sure because of the low quality images. Splashing the leaves with water or nutrient solution when the plants are under lights (or out in bright sunshine) will cause the leaves to burn.