SMH is running a poll: Where do you stand on decriminalisation?

http://www.smh.com.au/polls/drugs-and-decriminalisation-20120124-1qemy.html

It's got 2 days to go, and the results so far are pretty outstanding. Whether anybody in public office listens is another thing, but this is just another opportunity for us all to voice our opinions on decriminalisation.

Ending prohibition won't happen because of one incident/report/poll, but from a culmination of voices being heard in many formats all saying the same thing: Decriminalise now, the public supports it.

Some of the twitter discussions surrounding this is nothing short of brain-numbing, on both sides of the coin.

Disheartening to say the least.

Branson's been after this for thirty years, though. SMH is writing as if he's coming out or something. Weird.

edit: I'm all for decriminalisation of all drugs, but a wishy-washy rag petition will fall upon deaf ears and rightfully so, these easily-compromised voting systems are statistical anomalies for any major party. Niche parties will pander and dance but when was the last time an independent or similar made any real reform? Reform will only come through proper unbiased education for the people and State.

And it just isn't happening.

Edited by cvulse

I hear ya buddy - I didn't post this in the spirit of "well now we can see people are for it let's see some legislation" but rather in the spirit of "here's another poll saying the same thing". I have an independent in my seat (labor heartland) and will be petitioning him, but that's just me. It's better if we can point to multiple instances of people calling for the same things.

As for twitter, well "twits be twittering". C'est la vie (modern).

Great article.. geoff gallop should be PM...

Some of the twitter discussions surrounding this is nothing short of brain-numbing, on both sides of the coin.

Disheartening to say the least.

Branson's been after this for thirty years, though. SMH is writing as if he's coming out or something. Weird.

edit: I'm all for decriminalisation of all drugs, but a wishy-washy rag petition will fall upon deaf ears and rightfully so, these easily-compromised voting systems are statistical anomalies for any major party. Niche parties will pander and dance but when was the last time an independent or similar made any real reform? Reform will only come through proper unbiased education for the people and State.

And it just isn't happening.

14000 votes 81% for decrim.. that's pretty descent stats. Your right about polies prob not taking notice of the survey, but Mr an Mrs citizen will and it might make them want to see the debate come to the forefront.

The articlethat followed was about bransons study into effects of drugs and him adressing the british government regarding it, Pretty positive I would say

Slow news day I guess... That or the SMH still aint got their $$$ worth out of some Professor or another and want a last comment.

Meself, I would`nt even consider voting in such a general, broad sweeping "poll"...I`d encourage those more responsible among us not to do so either. Let the lunatic fringe battle it out.

JAIKAI