I personally don't think that more people will smoke pot if it was legalised, and if they did, it would only be a marginal number of people.

In the Northern Territory, the Australian Institute for Health and Welfare found that 70% of the population smoked or had smoked pot. I think those people out there who are inclined to smoke pot are already doing it.

I don't know what the perfect model would be for the legalisation of cannabis. But there should be some key principles:

• everyone should be allowed to grow it - and smoke it
  • medicinal qualities would need to be recognised - it should be available universally in the health system - including for prisoners
  • There would be some age limit on buying cannabis - but this raises other issues
  • Police officers would not be granted licenses to grow, deal, import or export
  • Multinational coorprations kept out of industry

Perhaps with these principles in mind we could have licensed "coffee shops" and licensed suburban grower/dealers as well as everyone growing themselves.

People say that there should be an age limit. I agree but don't think it should be set to high. Otherwise, the rest of us are fine, but young people - who they say are the most vulnerable - will be forced onto an inevitable black market.

As for alcohol, I hardly drink it.... I don't think legalising dope will have any effect on the consumption of alcohol, except if there were licensed dope cafes in the party districts, then people might go there and smoke up rather than go to the pub.. especcially if they are using party drugs.

Tobacco, shit, they got some of us by the balls. I mix tobacco with my dope. It is a bad habit i picked up about 8 years ago from sydney people. Any tips how to stop this....... whether or not people will buy more tobacco, i don't think legalising dope will make a difference.

Even if i smoke dope, it won't help the nicotine habit....

medicinal qualities would need to be recognised - it should be available universally in the health system - including for prisoners

you think prisoners should get free marijuana at the taxpayers expense?? thats going too far man. Marijuana don't cure anything, it just makes life more tolerable for those in pain, which isn't what the jail system is meant to be especially once those on drug charges are removed from prison, than the people you got left are mostly violent crims and thiefs and shit.

Free heroin for addicts in jail too I imagine???

"There would be some age limit on buying cannabis - but this raises other issues"

really? Who should enforce that bit of rubbish? I feal that even kids are responsible enough to know right from wrong and if a puff is o.k. Not some predigoused indiiferent third party whom usuall has their own agenda.

No age limits.

No Censorships.

No Hemp Laws.

We are all intelligent enough to make up our own minds.