I have sent this message to the Australian drug law reform foundation and would appreciate anyone that wants to help me with some research. I would really like to hear from people with a high level education and some experience in research, but any help will do, no disrespect to people with out it (me included).

"To whom it may concern,

I am a person who hopes for marijuana reform in NSW but have become frustrated with the people who are behind most of the campaigns who seem to be arguing for medicinal use which I feel is not evidence based and is to me a bit of a lie. Even if a law was to pass allowing medical use it would still force me to lie about something I do because I enjoy it not because it's my "miracle medicine". I feel the argument of medicinal use is like saying "my doctor wants me to eat moldy bread to get my penicillin", the argument simply cant stand up because because there is not enough hard evidence to support that the good out weighs the bad. I would like to know if you could put me in contact with anybody who is using the arguments of cost to community, cost to the government, cost to the individual, black market value and revenue that can be generated from legalization. There are plenty of countries or states internationally which have legalized it to certain extents that we can get evidence to dispel many of the rumors and fears surrounding something that has been around for longer then any of us and will continue to be around a long time after we are gone. Thank you for any help you can provide me."

The reform movement has been around along time and just isn't working, the same way the war on us doesn't work. We all need to put down our "weapons" in this war and approach it from a new front, the sooner we can admit we are wrong the sooner we can start to learn.

If your like me and would like to see a reform movement without a marijuana leaf symbol in sight let me know because we need to face the fact that we wont be the ones changing the laws but people who support us and our basic need of freedom to enjoy our life the way we like.

Edited by krackerzjabana

I have sent this message to the Australian drug law reform foundation and would appreciate anyone that wants to help me with some research. I would really like to hear from people with a high level education and some experience in research, but any help will do, no disrespect to people with out it (me included).

"To whom it may concern,

I am a person who hopes for marijuana reform in NSW but have become frustrated with the people who are behind most of the campaigns who seem to be arguing for medicinal use which I feel is not evidence based and is to me a bit of a lie. Even if a law was to pass allowing medical use it would still force me to lie about something I do because I enjoy it not because it's my "miracle medicine". I feel the argument of medicinal use is like saying "my doctor wants me to eat moldy bread to get my penicillin", the argument simply cant stand up because because there is not enough hard evidence to support that the good out weighs the bad. I would like to know if you could put me in contact with anybody who is using the arguments of cost to community, cost to the government, cost to the individual, black market value and revenue that can be generated from legalization. There are plenty of countries or states internationally which have legalized it to certain extents that we can get evidence to dispel many of the rumors and fears surrounding something that has been around for longer then any of us and will continue to be around a long time after we are gone. Thank you for any help you can provide me."

The reform movement has been around along time and just isn't working, the same way the war on us doesn't work. We all need to put down our "weapons" in this war and approach it from a new front, the sooner we can admit we are wrong the sooner we can start to learn.

If your like me and would like to see a reform movement without a marijuana leaf symbol in sight let me know because we need to face the fact that we wont be the ones changing the laws but people who support us and our basic need of freedom to enjoy our life the way we like.

Speaking as a person who is well versed in obnoxious posts this is up there with the best. Good luck, your going to need it :sick

-.- O.k. if you're looking for some honest feedback I'll give it a go:

To start with you should probably do a bit more research before writing something of the sort. E.g. Google; you'd be surprised how much info you can find if you give it a go. For instance you asked if the person in question can direct you to someone with info on cost to community, government, individual etc. With a few cleverly selected key words you can find probably thousands of essays on those things. If you'd like some more explicit guidance on the use of google let me know.

Secondly I really don't see the necessity to try and shit on the medical use of marijuana to encourage a different approach to legalisation. Can't you just say:

"O.k. the legalisation of marijuana for medical uses may be good however why only for medical use when prohibition costs the government and thus the community millions every year which could be spent on...etc etc"

Instead of:

"There's no evidence that pot is good for medical purposes so fuck that shit we should be legalizing it because of the cost to the community, the individuals etc.etc"

That may be exaggerated but really your simile likening marijuana to moldy bread sure as hell isn't going to win favor with anyone except people who don't want it legalised at all. For example if an individual suffering from extreme nausea due to chemotherapy smokes weed and it works far better than anti-emetics with little to no apparent side effects how could you say: "Ah well you don't know there'll be no extremely detrimental long term side effects regardless of the fact it has very evident benefits?".

As I said I understand you feel we shouldn't ONLY be focusing on the potential medical uses, however don't you think individuals using for medical purposes would take into account the lack of knowledge of potential detriment in the long term when deciding to use it? In fact come to think of it to be honest I think that statement ("there is not enough hard evidence to support that the good out weighs the bad")in itself is worthless because obviously you haven't really done any research on the matter.

And come to think of it are you implying there isn't enough evidence to support the good outweighs the bad in medical uses, but does in a recreational and socio-economic context? And if so how&why?

:scratchin:

Anyway I understand I'm rambling though admittedly I found those initial points to be pretty confusing.

Lastly the final two sentences: I didn't really understand at all what you were getting at. In the first it seemed you were restating your desire to shift the focus from medical use to recreational etc. etc. though if you haven't noticed there's already plenty campaigns which also focus on those points (without trying to shit on medical use) again accessible through google. And in the very last sentence I have no idea what you were trying to say (sorry). :please:

Hopefully this is reasonably coherent I can't be bothered proof-reading here if there's anything you didn't understand let me know and I hope I didn't sound too critical though just honest feedback ;)

:pimp:

Edited by R.H.Goddard
  • Upvote 5

-.- O.k. if you're looking for some honest feedback I'll give it a go:

To start with you should probably do a bit more research before writing something of the sort. E.g. Google; you'd be surprised how much info you can find if you give it a go. For instance you asked if the person in question can direct you to someone with info on cost to community, government, individual etc. With a few cleverly selected key words you can find probably thousands of essays on those things. If you'd like some more explicit guidance on the use of google let me know.

Secondly I really don't see the necessity to try and shit on the medical use of marijuana to encourage a different approach to legalisation. Can't you just say:

"O.k. the legalisation of marijuana for medical uses may be good however why only for medical use when prohibition costs the government and thus the community millions every year which could be spent on...etc etc"

Instead of:

"There's no evidence that pot is good for medical purposes so fuck that shit we should be legalizing it because of the cost to the community, the individuals etc.etc"

That may be exaggerated but really your simile likening marijuana to moldy bread sure as hell isn't going to win favor with anyone except people who don't want it legalised at all. For example if an individual suffering from extreme nausea due to chemotherapy smokes weed and it works far better than anti-emetics with little to no apparent side effects how could you say: "Ah well you don't know there'll be no extremely detrimental long term side effects regardless of the fact it has very evident benefits?".

As I said I understand you feel we shouldn't ONLY be focusing on the potential medical uses, however don't you think individuals using for medical purposes would take into account the lack of knowledge of potential detriment in the long term when deciding to use it? In fact come to think of it to be honest I think that statement ("there is not enough hard evidence to support that the good out weighs the bad")in itself is worthless because obviously you haven't really done any research on the matter.

And come to think of it are you implying there isn't enough evidence to support the good outweighs the bad in medical uses, but does in a recreational and socio-economic context? And if so how&why?

:scratchin:

Anyway I understand I'm rambling though admittedly I found those initial points to be pretty confusing.

Lastly the final two sentences: I didn't really understand at all what you were getting at. In the first it seemed you were restating your desire to shift the focus from medical use to recreational etc. etc. though if you haven't noticed there's already plenty campaigns which also focus on those points (without trying to shit on medical use) again accessible through google. And in the very last sentence I have no idea what you were trying to say (sorry). :please:

Hopefully this is reasonably coherent I can't be bothered proof-reading here if there's anything you didn't understand let me know and I hope I didn't sound too critical though just honest feedback ;)

:pimp:

Just what i though +1

Peace MongyMan

Thanks for the feed back R.H

Your right about about google having thousands of essays, so my australian research started with the ABS. I do a lot of my research through advice from the skeptical community and the links to studies through their websites.

I didn't mean to shit on medicinal use because I agree with you on the chemo patient point and other extreme cases. This article is pretty much the same point of view I have and is a good read. check the studies out too.

http://www.scienceba...a-are-we-ready/

"And come to think of it are you implying there isn't enough evidence to support the good outweighs the bad in medical uses, but does in a recreational and socio-economic context? And if so how&why?"

You are completely correct on this point, as a smoker I am biased because I want it legalized for recreation and that is why I want to compile evidence which supports the theory that prohibition is a greater cost then legalization. If it does not support it I will try another approach, I really hope it does.

The last sentence is because many of the minds that need to change see a weed leaf and throw them in the same basket as the nimbin crowd.

Its a quick response I know but I'm tired. If you want me to adress all your critisisms in full let me know I'll be more then happy but for now I need sleep

I really do appreciate the feed back and will start to post more links to the research I compile.

Edited by krackerzjabana

Krackerzjabana..... Quote" Your right about about google having thousands of essays, so my australian research started with the ABS. I do a lot of my research through advice from the skeptical community and the links to studies through their websites.

I didn't mean to shit on medicinal use because I agree with you on the chemo patient point and other extreme cases. This article is pretty much the same point of view I have and is a good read. check the studies out too. " End Quote.

Heya Krackers =) , I'm a Medicinal user of Cannabis, it saved my life. I had a bad work accident, screwed my back up and also suffer from anxiety attacks and Major Depression. I was taking a shitload of Pharmacuticals for pain and also Anti-depressants and valiums for the mental stuff. It almost killed me. I was addicted to Coedine, and behaving like a bull in a china shop cause what was good for my back was not good for my head. Kidneys were also taking a smashing from the Meds.

I was a recreational smoker, had heard of Cannabis being used as medicine but never really looked into it..............

Well after my accident and a few hospital trips I looked again into medicinal Cannabis, and found I could use Indica dominant plants for my anxiety, a Sativa for the depression and hashish for the pain in my back, within 4 weeks and some agonizing withdrawals I was completely Pharmacutical free.

That was over 2 years ago, and I feel much better than before.

This story is similiar to thousands of people in Australia, thats just mine.

The Australian Buro of Statistics wouldn't have the foggiest about what goes on in Australia, as for the skeptic sites, their links are full of Misinformation and old school "Reeefer Madness" mentality.

The studies you refer to are usually done to ' tow the line 'of the country in questions stance on drugs and are not independant, or if they are, they are funded by the Pharma companies or Drug rehabilitation programs etc which in turn get funding to fight the "evils" of Cannabis. They are a joke.

Look into GW Pharmas studies into Medicinal Cannabis in the UK lately, There is a great video on Poo tube, and you will find most of what you have read is lies. The medicinal benefits of cannabis are real and for more than just Chemo patients.

There is no way in hell the Australian Government will legalize Cannabis for recreational use ever, you are kidding yourself. So let the people who need it for Pain, Glaucoma, Arthritis, Cancer...... the list is endless, have it for what it was used for thousands of years for.

Your best bet at getting even close to legalized Recreational Cannabis is by letting Medicinal use of Cannabis be legalized and then once the government see's it actually helped and worked, the Percieved threat of cannabis will be lessened and become more acceptable, then and only then , you may have a chance.

All you do by sending letters of that nature is set back years of Medicinal cannabis work, just so you can whine about not being able to light up a spliff with ya $80kg cheese.

Medicinal use of cannabis is real, it is needed to be legalized in Australia so patients can use the medicine of THEIR choice to help ease their pain and suffering.

Sorry for the rant, but ya touched a nerve. lol . Peace. Gh72

I

Edited by Grasshopper72
  • Upvote 2

I have always disliked the Nimbin crowd and I will try to refer to at as Cannabis from now on Rev.

Dear GH,

I myself suffered a fracture in T7 and a compression of the discs above and below and like you I found great relief through cannabis, I would only need to take a Panadine every now and again to help. As much as I think many people would find this method better then taking a load of pain relief and anti depressant medication but our own personal beliefs and anecdotal evidence is not good science.

The ABS is a good place to start because it is the place to find the statistics which are hard evidence to base an argument on.

"....as for the skeptic sites, their links are full of Misinformation and old school "Reeefer Madness" mentality."

Skeptics believe in evidence based fact and the scientific method. The links are to transparent control based and unbiased trials, which you must not of read because of statements you made about them.You have tried to discredit my references buy simply saying they are wrong without providing more then "reeefer madness" as a reason. You then refer to "towing the line" and "big pharma" and tell me to check out GW Pharma. who has this as the first thing in there about page

Our vision... is to be the global leaders in prescription cannabinoid medicines, through the rapid cost-effective development of pharmaceutical products which address clear unmet patient needs.

This means that they are trying to mass produce a drug as cheaply as possible because lots of people are asking for it(whether they need it or not). This is "Big Pharma" and "towing the line" for cannabis and did you see who there partners are, honetly. But I do thank you for actually giving some reference.

I don't wish to argue against medicinal use but form an argument which will complement it in the legalization debate. Just because we have different personal beliefs doesn't mean we do not want the same end result.

Edit- Google and you tube are not good places to get evidence.

Edited by krackerzjabana