Network Against Prohibition

I honestly don't think anybody here could have got any closer to the truth Rob. There will always be prejudice assholes out there, regardless of your habit or poison.

I began using pot as a rec thing, which turned into a medicinal thing before I'd reached my 20's. I won't even touch panadeine forte now, even though I'm meant to be stuffing that into me, along with anti-inflammatories. Fuck that. I'm 22 years old, and I know too many people of all ages hooked on one thing or another, sleepers are another killer for addiction.

Pot is gold to me, I can function almost without pain. Some mornings are so bad, I have to force my hands open. I'll be honest, I smoke pretty much all day. But it's either that, live with it, or get bombed on prescription drugs. I'll have a cone anyday over that shit.

This bullshit against needle users. Yeah, I know what happens when someone has an addiction that takes over, unfortunately I have seen too many good mates crash and burn on the H, although speed and ice is getting significantly worse. The habit takes over, and the need for a hit drives you to do all sorts of dumb shit to get it. Hence, the need for the drug to be available legally, cheap, with proper clean injecting rooms with medical staff on hand.

Until there is some sort of effort towards a proper solution from our government, things will stay the same. As they always do.......

White Cluster, you're dead right in what you say about the world being full of raspists and child molestors and so forth. I don't see the comparrison to IV users, but you are definately right.

But you're more right than you even thought of.

Can we stop rapists and child molestors? Well in the history of the wolrd we haven;t, but if a programme came up that collected them all together, and encouraged them to take councelling and ultimately reduced the amount of rape and child molesting, who in their right mind would want it stopped? Of course, many (I included) would probably rather want to see them stopped with a base ball bat, but if the programme really worked. I mean if it really was proven that it would stop the horror of children being molested, and anyone at all raped, I would suport it.

And no I woudln't support it if it involved feeding them children to rape, but if they had some programme that I haven't imagined that brought them together in one place, and ultimately encouraged them (therefore real change) to stop what they're doing, then i would.

The anxiety that comes from it is that fact that pot is relatively harmles, and you can't get it, where-as opiates are harmfull, and it seems to you that everyone is falling over themselves to get it to them, just to entertain them.

And that just sits in ya guts like a hard turd.

It really is jealousy, and don't get me wrong, I get jealous over all kinds of stuff too, but that's what it is. But these steps that we've been talking about are community helpfull, not just junkie helpfull. It isn't people falling over themselves to fill the needs of junkies, it's people falling all over themselves to solve a community problem. I understand what you're thinking, that pot should be legal, and free, and shit mate, I agree completely. I work to that end where-ever i can too. It should never have had any laws pertaining to it at all...ever.

But there's a whole lot of complex issues out there, and I don't think one needs to suffer at the cost of another.

And thanks for the good cheer WC. I reckon you're alright too mate.

cheers.

rob

ps. Today Tonight, or one of those dumb shows this week has some great expose on Grass this week. The "real truth" they said, and which caught my ears. Then they went on to say the dangers have been way under-estimated, people comming forwad with tales of horror......again? Where do they find these people with such bad experiences?

Edited by RobbieGanjaSeed

Guest Wilderbud

What does needle exchange mean?

Before the 'needle exchange' word was popular I had no problem buying bulk needles from a chemist. Some chemists went through phases of questioning me but I never walked away without needles so I dont see any problem with getting paraphenalia.

I tried heroin once after years of rejecting offers - I called it 'the perfect drug' while under the influence and never touched it again.

PS. marijuana doesnt kill people.

Yeah if you know any ppl who were using in OZ in the '70's then they probably have hepC, and this is a fact, the older ppl I know who used before AIDS in the '80's ALL have hepc so needle exchanges and the ability to have acces to this paraph. is an impt social and health issue, it saves the community in $ and lives etc, all of the countries that have provided needle services have found, from epidemiological studies, a dramatic decrease in infection rates and this fact is highlighted by the fact that infection rates in jails, amongst drug users, are dramaticlly higher when compared to a population, of IV drug users, only metres away (ie free) that have access to needles, anyway thats just my 2cents and I agree it should be easier for them to dispose of them safely, but to deny access is just not a viable solution. Edited by syk613

White cluster, in answer to your own question; "Am I A Dick" yes you are. You can't catch Hep C because a syringe floats past you in a creek, even if you received a needle stick injury from it the chances are incredibly low. So low that no one ever, outside of a medical setting, has caught Hep C from a needle stick injury. Youre friend was probably to scare to tell you about current or past needle use because of youre discriminatory attitude. 99% of needles given out at Needle and Syringe programs are returned. How do you know syringes you have seen lying around came from illicit injectors ? Most people with diabietes do not receive any education on how to properly dispose of their syringes. Most injectors dispose of their syringes appropriately most of the time. They are well aware of the risk to others and of the bad name it gives injectors and further reinforces attitudes like yours. People who admit to not disposing of their syringes properly say they did so because of the threat of police and not wanting to be harrassed/arrested/charged. We could all be working together to change laws that make all drug use much more harmful than it should be. The reason this is so difficult is because of moral, emotional and hysterical arguments dictate the politicans and policy makers rather than scientific facts and reality. Attitudes like yours are exactly what keep us from having a sensible drug policy become a reality.

Media Alert

3rd December 2003

Hansard video missing in Northern Territory Parliament Invasion Case

Key evidence has gone missing from the court proceedings against 9 drug law reform activists who peacefully entered the Legislative Assembly of Australia’s Northern Territory on the 14th of May last year. The original Hansard video of the incident has vanished despite being held in the custody of the NT Court system.

The activists, who entered the Legislative Assembly to protest against the draconian drug house laws, are outraged that primary evidence has gone missing, particularly as five activists have been sentenced to between 14 and 21 months jail. These activists are in the appeals process.

The drug house laws enable police to declare a house a drug house without evidence and without securing a conviction against a defendant. The home can then be signposted and raided by police without a warrant whenever they choose. It also allows police to conduct cavity searches on the premises and to stop and question anyone within 200 metres of the sign.

The missing Hansard video depicts a number of the activists being assaulted by police and officials of the Parliament. The defendants had argued in court that the video tape had been doctored, and it took months and many court applications before they were able to get their own copy of the supposed original tape.

But in the Magistrate’s court on Monday the 1st of December, during Committal proceedings for Scott White the last of the group to be charged after he was extradited from his new home in Tasmania, the court was told that the original Hansard tape had “gone missing somewhere between the Supreme Court and the Magistrate’s Court.”

Police prosecutor Peter John Thomas, speaking from the witness box said “this is embarrassing.”

Court orderly Jason Finlay, also speaking from the box said “I have been working here for 2 years and evidence has never been lost before.”

This is the first time that political activists in Australia have been charged with “disturbing the legislative assembly”, a charge that has developed from the Tumultuous Petitioning Act of 1661, enacted by King Charles II of England. Many human rights activists have expressed concern that the group are facing lengthy jail sentences for a peaceful protest. Over the past 18 months they have been the subject of police harassment and intimidation. Activists from the Network Against Prohibition have been charged with over 100 offences.

The group have received a hostile reception from the NT court system because of their anti-prohibition stance. They believe that they will not get a fair hearing in the NT courts. In the Supreme Court, the activists have been compared with murderers and terrorists by biased NT Judges.

On Tuesday 2nd December, Magistrate David Loadman interrupted the extradited White, who was cross-examining a police witness about his illegal extradition from Tasmania to the NT. Loadman said “I don’t care if you are brought here at the point of a machine gun.”

In the interests of justice and for the benefit of the public, People Against Racism in Aboriginal Homelands and Network Against Prohibition are providing a segment of our copy of the “doctored” Hansard tape.

Last year the NT Magistrate’s Court ordered that the tape not be broadcast, and media agencies in Australia have not had the courage to broadcast the tape, despite being given copies by the Network Against Prohibition.

The court cases continue next year. Scott White will face a trial by Judge and jury, while five other activists will appeal their conviction to the NT Supreme Court. One activist, Luke Masters, has already served 2 weeks in prison.

You can view the video at http://www.napnt.org/movies/Hofer-attack.mpeg

For more info see http://www.napnt.org and http://www.country-liberal-party.com

Or call the NAP office on +61 (0)8 8942 0570 or +61 (0)415 16 2525

White cluster, in answer to your own question; "Am I A Dick" yes you are. You can't catch Hep C because a syringe floats past you in a creek, even if you received a needle stick injury from it the chances are incredibly low. So low that no one ever, outside of a medical setting, has caught Hep C from a needle stick injury. Youre friend was probably to scare to tell you about current or past needle use because of youre discriminatory attitude. 99% of needles given out at Needle and Syringe programs are returned. How do you know syringes you have seen lying around came from illicit injectors ? Most people with diabietes do not receive any education on how to properly dispose of their syringes. Most injectors dispose of their syringes appropriately most of the time. They are well aware of the risk to others and of the bad name it gives injectors and further reinforces attitudes like yours. People who admit to not disposing of their syringes properly say they did so because of the threat of police  and not wanting to be harrassed/arrested/charged. We could all be working together to change laws that make all drug use much more harmful than it should be. The reason this is so difficult is because of moral, emotional and hysterical arguments dictate the politicans and policy makers rather than scientific facts and reality. Attitudes like yours are exactly what keep us from having  a sensible drug policy become a reality.

I don't know if what you are saying is quite true, this was my understanding of infectious diseases and in this case viuses, MOST can not survive outside the body for long like HIV, but HEP C definentily can it is a lot more robust and if there is a blood spill on the ground while HIV won't last long Hthe hep C can, and it survives for extended periods of time if you wish to debate the subject I suggest you provide a source that I can check, ie the scientific "facts" you talk about, needle stick injuries are a reality mate, and if you work in research and jab yourself with a needle after it has been in an animal then there will be some action taken to ensure there was no infection,, what proof do you have for the 99% figure does it come from theagency that runs the program?, what about sharing needles, that doesn't transmit the disease?.

NAP is ready to rumble in 2004.

With five activists still loose on bail following their jailing for the Legislative Assembly Job, planning is well under way for the year ahead. But for deft legal footwork, the LA Five would be behind bars now. NAP meetings will recommence this week with its first meeting on Wednesday night at 7pm at the Darwin Railway Club, Somerville Gardens Road, Parap. As usual, everyone is welcome.

Kicking off the year – besides several low-key court cases that have been and gone – is this weekend’s Strategic Planning Day. It starts at 10am on Saturday, January 31, and goes until 4pm. Planned activities will be discussed and lunch and refreshments will be turned on. Input is invited, particularly about the campaign against the drug house legislation.

Anybody interested is asked to email us so we can get an idea for catering on this, our most important day for 2004.

The roll-call through the courts has already begun, with our favourite magistrate – David Loadman – handing Mick Lambe a suspended 12-month sentence for his role in the 6th smoke-in of 2002. Loadman is known for the contempt he has shown NAP activists. As with all convictions, this will be appealed. Other recent court cases have been adjourned. The Parliament Five, who are presently on bail awaiting their appeal (sentences ranged from 14 to 21 months for ‘’invading’’ parliament), will appear in the Supreme Court on February 4 to set dates.

Mick has lodged an application to the High Court to have the matter moved from the Supreme Court to the High Court. The other defendants are set to follow.

Scott White, NAP parliament storm trooper who was extradited from Tasmania to stand trial in Darwin, will appear in the Supreme Court on February 3 to be arraigned, which basically means, to set dates for his trial by Judge and Jury.

And they did find that “lost” piece of evidence – the Hansard Video.

On March 11, we will need supporters at the Supreme Court in Darwin as NAP activists argue legal points before Justice Bailey. The activists face two sets of charges, arising from the 6th smoke-in and the peaceful occupation of the Chief Minister Clare Martin’s electorate office on August 1 the same year. Our activists are facing a significant amount of jail time if found guilty.

We will also need supporters on March 24, again at the Supreme Court. This will be the first time NAP has appeared before the full bench of the NT Supreme Court (three Judges). Rob Inder-Smith, Stuart Highway and Gary Meyerhoff were found guilty of trespassing for a peaceful occupation of the NT Chief Health Officer’s office in 2002. They lost their appeal to Justice Bailey, and are now taking it to the next step, the Full Bench. A sign of things to come for NAP cases perhaps Now that we are getting to this level, we need your support more than ever.

In many ways, this will be a defining year for this group of peaceful human rights activists, who will continue the struggle against a system that is inherently biased against us. The schedule is:

• one Full Bench appeal

• four Justices Appeals (to one judge)

• three Supreme Court Trials and

• several Magistrate’s Court hearings.

It goes without saying that we really need your support. We are unrepresented in all of these cases so as well as continuing the NAP campaign, we have been forced to study the criminal “justice” system on the job.

We’re not despairing, though, and nor should you, because we also have heaps of fun activities planned, including direct-action and protest events, arrestable and non-arrestable. We will be kicking off our Smoke-ins with a major Community Smoke-in for Human Rights combined with NAP’s second birthday on Saturday, March 13. As usual, it will be at Raintree Park, from midday. Santa will be back for Christmas in July. This should be a stocking full of fun for the kids.

Other big news includes the upcoming 15th International Conference on the Reduction of Drug Related Harm, in Melbourne, in April. NAP members have also been invited as honoured guests to the Nimbin Mardis Grass. If anyone else from the Top End wants to go to Nimbin with the NAP crew, please contact us.

Stay tuned for the Third Darwin International Syringe Festival. This event gets bigger and better every year . . . a fit-full of fun for all involved!

We couldn’t start the year without asking for donations. NAP is a volunteer-based organisation and we receive no corporate or government funding. Legal Aid is refusing to represent us in our court cases unless we let them do it on their “conditions” – and that means pleading guilty. We need fund for such things as transcripts, which cost an arm and a leg, thanks to the privatisation of the system. Every little bit helps. You might even want to consider making a monthly direct=debit to NAP’s bank account. Every cent goes back to the community through the NAP campaign. See http://www.napnt.org/Contacts.htm

The Website

The Website – which is always worth checking – has been revamped. Suggestions are always welcome. Just email us. If you aren’t already a member of our yahoogroup, now is the time to join. The yahoogroup receives 3 to 4 emails per month and is the best way to be kept up to date with what’s happening.

We hope to see you at the Strategic Planning day and/or at some of our many events and court cases though-out 2004.

February 9 is another important date.

It is the last day for submissions to the Senate Inquiry on changes to the Disability Discrimination Law in Australia that will mean that addiction to an illicit drug is not covered by the Legislation. If you want to make a submission and need more information, see the thread “Drugs, Addiction and Disability” in the AIVL web forums’ General Discussion Forum at http://www.aivl.org.au/forum/

Let’s team up to end this heinous War on Drugs!

Nap Mob

NAP is ready to rumble in 2004.

Good work mate, you guys and Brash have become my new heroes :rolleyes: You're an inspiration to us all, everyone should give these guys all the support they can - even if it's just a bit of encouragement.