'The Bubbling Barrel'

tabbycat

;) So this is where things became pretty interesting. I happened to have a smaller 600 Litre/Hr power head and i was going to run a side by side test in the function. Well the little pump didn't quite get to the bottom - if i submerged the smaller pump any futher than shown in the picture it would not produce bubbles. Weird heh - pump flows half the capacity of the bigger pump and produces bubbles approx. half way up the height of the tank i.e 600L/Hr = 300mm of usable bubble flow. So i reckon for a sytem such as this (600mm High) the bigger pump is a minimum. If you were running a bucket 300mm high then the 600L/Hr would probably be OK. lol

post-9-1066567549_thumb.jpg

The 1200L/hr pump is installed in the bottom of the barrel pointing up and held fast by 4 suction cups - holds pretty well. Luckily the power cord runs under the lid and out so i don't have to dtill a hole in the lid for it. The airline attached to the powerhead has to sit outside and so a 6mm hole will be drilled into the side of the lid for this. lol

post-9-1066567928_thumb.jpg

This is the basic product so far. The picture shows i have drilled a 6mm hole in the side of the lid for the airline to poke through. The green thing on the end controls air flow if need be :lol: So tomorrow i'll fill er' up, wack in a lil' black domina clone and see how she goes. Near future i want to connect the barrel to an external reservoir that will reside outside of my main grow room. Also want to have a small pump situated in the control res. to constantly be pumping fresh nutrient into the barrel possibly via dripper. Hopefully it would then be recirculating and run fairly even levels (ppm/ph etc.). Some help with fittings and otherwise would be much appreciated - having a great time already. ;) ;) ;)

post-9-1066568555_thumb.jpg

;) 'My Mission' - geez i sound like a fair fuckwit sometimes!

So the bubbling DWC barrel is installed in my main grow room. In this pic you can see a tap root or two coming out of the right bottom of the net-pot. The clone is Black Domina (Hash PlantXG13XNL - so the story goes!) - it is in the smaller pot because i had it spare and wasn't sure what to do with it. I actually left it under my floodndrain table for a week and forgot about it lol Its had a week to recover and showing signs of improvement. I'm going to place this net-pot into the larger one so won't have to transplant, straight in! ;)

Couple of other concerns with this project i can't do nuthin' about at the Mo ;) One is that i have no other source of light but to place the DWC barrel next to my FnD table in my main grow room - so it's getting side light only, no direct light. So if it grow sidewards you'll no why. Second thing is my main room has to be turned today and so will this little BD clone. Should be cool - hopefully will strive for root growth during the 1st coupla' weeks. Wish us luck ;)

In this pic the barrel is in place and ready to go ;) Here you can see the bubbling action through the top of the lid. I'm using canna veg. nutes only at this stage, actually recycled from my main res. which i dumped today, just a week old and used at full strength so reckon it should be right lol.

PH is at 6.0, i've read DWC likes a bit lower, say 5.8. Going to know wack the litle girl in and see what happens.

post-9-1066621232_thumb.jpg

On the left of the pic. the BD clone and net-pot are placed directly into the larger net-pot without any other medium at this stage. As roots are showing out of the smaller pot i want these to reach nutrient straight away. The right pic. shows finished transplant filled with clay rocks - i can leave the bloody thing alone now! lol

post-9-1066621601_thumb.jpg