hi guys. Thought I would share some information I came across somewhere. If you would like more info on where I found it feel free to pm me.

HOW DANGEROUS IS MARIJUANA COMPARED WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES?

Number of American deaths per year that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, according to World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports.

TOBACCO 340,000 to 450,000

ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders) 150,000+

ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) 180 to 1,000+

CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) 1,000 to 10,000

"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol 14,000 to 27,000

ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs. 3,800 to 5,200

MARIJUANA 0 (Marijuana users also have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non-marijuana using population as a whole. Crancer Study, UCLA; U.S. Funded ($6 million), First & Second Jamaican Studies, 1968 to 1974; Costa Rican Studies, 1980 to 1982; et al. LOWEST TOXICITY 100% of the studies done at dozens of American universities and research facilities show pot toxicity does not exist. Medical history does not record anyone dying from an overdose of marijuana (UCLA, Harvard, Temple, etc.).

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE Drug Enforcement Administration In The Matter Of MARIJUANA RESCHEDULING PETITION Docket No. 86-22 OPINION AND RECOMMENDED RULING, FINDINGS OF FACT, CONCLUSIONS OF LAW AND DECISION OF ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE FRANCIS L. YOUNG, Administrative Law Judge DATED: SEPTEMBER 6, 1988

Section 8 of Judge Young's "Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Decision."

Page 56 & 57 http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/MEDICAL/YOUNG/young

3. The most obvious concern when dealing with drug safety is the possibility of lethal effects. Can the drug cause death?

4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world. Estimates suggest that from twenty million to fifty million Americans routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death.

6. By contrast aspirin, a commonly used, over-the-counter medicine, causes hundreds of deaths each year.

7. Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity.

cont'd

...If all fossil fuels and their derivatives, as well as trees for paper and construction, were banned in order to save the planet, reverse the greenhouse effect and stop deforestation; then there is only one known annually renewable natural resource that is capable of providing the overall majority of the world's paper and textiles; meet all of the world's transportation, industrial and home energy needs, while simultaneously reducing pollution, rebuilding the soil and cleaning the atmosphere all at the same time... and that substance is the same one that has done it before... CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA! CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA is the only known plant that can be grown from the Equator to the Arctic Circle and to the Antarctic Circle; from the mountains to the valleys, from the oceans to the plains, including arid lands and everywhere in between. CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA is the healthiest plant for the ground out of the 300,000 known species, and the millions and millions of subspecies, of plants on Earth, because it has a root system that grows 10 to 12 inches in 30 days compared to one inch for rye, barley grass, etc. The roots penetrate up to six feet deep, pulverizing the soil and making it arable. After harvest it leaves a root system that is mulched into the ground, revitalizing the land and making it live once again. It is the KING KONG of the King Kongs of all plant life.

CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA was the NUMBER ONE annually renewable natural resource for 80 percent of all paper, fiber, textiles and fuel, from 6000 years ago until about 125 years ago. Furthermore, it was used for five to 50 percent of the food, light, land and soil reclamation, and even 20 percent or more of all medicine. Everyone, from the educated to the uneducated, the farmer to the townsperson, the doctors and the scientists used CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA products and depended on them.75 to 90 percent of all paper used from at least 100 AD to 1883 was made of CANNABIS/HEMP. Books, (including Bibles), money and newspapers all over the world have been mainly printed on CANNABIS/HEMP for as long as these things have existed in human history.

As a medicine, the worldwide use of CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA goes back at least 6000 years. Remember, 10 to 20 percent of our medicines used to be CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA based medicines. It has been found to be healthy and effective in the treatment of chronic pain, cancer, strokes, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, sickle cell anemia, AIDS wasting and many other illnesses, including simple nausea, appetite stimulant, anxiety and muscle pains, etc.

On September 6, 1988, the Drug Enforcement Administration's Chief Administrative Law Judge, Francis L. Young, ruled: "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man," and asked the Drug Enforcement Administration to reschedule it. The DEA refused, keeping it as a Schedule I drug, which they say "has no known medical use"! Thousands of studies have been done all over the world, documenting the medical use of MARIJUANA (England, Spain, Hungary, Holland, and the U.S., just to name a few). No one has ever died from MARIJUANA in over 6000 years of recorded history... unless they were shot by a COP!

CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA was also used for land reclamation until 1915. CANNABIS/HEMP was planted or left to grow feral as ground cover and on riverbanks, and not intended for harvest. It is the NUMBER ONE plant in history used to prevent mudslides and loss of watershed, and river and soil erosion on Earth. It has been illegal to grow this #1 plant in the United States since 1937.What disgusts me the most is how the U.S. government, as well as the people, knew about CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA and praised its value and then look what happened! In literally 90 seconds, the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 passed in Congress. By using the unknown name "MARIJUANA" instead of the familiar name "CANNABIS HEMP", Congress was able to accomplish this because no one knew what plant they were talking about. CANNABIS/HEMP became illegal and was replaced by petrochemical products, coal and natural gas. They made it such a banned and forbidden plant that the words "HEMP" and "CANNABIS/HEMP" were not even taught in schools from the 1940s, 50s and thereafter.

cont'd....

...Why does the U.S. government want to eradicate this seed, out of all the seeds on Earth? They want to kill the most perfect plant on the planet. We must stop this insanity and demand that the laws against CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA be one hundred percent repealed!!

Federal Attorney General John Ashcroft, Drug Enforcement Administration head, Asa Hutchison, and White House Drug Czar, John Walters, have been given all of these proven facts and yet are still set against the legalization of CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA and recognition of CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIUANA knowledge. For whatever personal reasons, they refuse to believe the facts and are willing to sacrifice the future of our planet and the health of our people by keeping it illegal.

The ban of CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA is so extreme and its intention is to hide the truth. The truth is that out of the 300,000 species, and the millions and millions of subspecies, of plants on Earth, CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA is the NUMBER ONE plant for our survival and quality of life here on Earth. Since September 11, 2001, the U.S. government and Attorney General John Ashcroft have been calling MARIJUANA users "terrorists" and yet the government of the United States has been "terrorizing" MARIJUANA users for the last 65 years! There have been over 14 million arrests for CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA in the last 65 years, in the U.S. alone! 13 million were within the last 30 years!

No one has taken the $100,000 challenge to prove me wrong. Why? Because I am right. The U.S. government has been lying to us since the early 1900s. Do economic interests and the police have more to say than the people about the future of our planet? How angry are you for being lied to by the U.S. government about CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA? Are you willing to make a stand right now? No one can dispute this information and knowledge. YOU have to join me in this fight. Either you are on the U.S. government's side or you are on my side.

Jack Herer July 4, 2002

i find it hard to belive that none of the highway crash deaths have been linked back to mj. Also i watched a doco a few years ago about mj and in oz 3 ppl a year die of heart attacks brought on by their first mj session (i knew one of em back in the 70s) allergy i spose

But even so mj is the safest of all the drugs including tea and coffee, and the burden booze puts on our taxes in hospital bills is staggering. tobacco and hard drugs kill thousands a year, yet our beloved Mary J cops the all the shit. :angry:

I think we're forgetting that inhaling any burnt plant matter, or even any burning substance, will undoubtedly increase your likelihood of developing cancers. To say that MJ is different is a little bit misleading. THC itself has never been attributed to fatalaties, as far as I know, and the various cannabinoids present in cannabis aren't very toxic at all, like you say, it has an extremely high effective to lethal dose rate. But to say that cannabis isn't harmful is a misleading statement.

I do agree that it's a lot less harmful than tobacco though, at least we know that when we grow it at home, it hasn't been sprayed with vast amounts of harmful pesticides or had multiple chemicals added to the finished product to make it "smoother" or "sweeter".

But once again, the old saying that cannabis causes 0 deaths per year is wrong. IMO.

Guest Urbanhog

Lokm8,

Its often a goodidea, if you are making postings like this where you copy/pasted for other internet site or source, its often nessary to show the url link where you copy/pasted from, kinda like references if you know what I meant.

Just simply copy/paste the source addy at the end of the postings similar to this.

Thanks again,

Urbie :P

hey..

I hear ya urbanhog, but I had a feeling the owner of that particular forum would delete the post so I didnt bother, and I left the 'pm' comment for people wanting to know exactly where it came from.

Well basically( short version) the post came from a Mixed Martial Arts forum where a well known USA celebrity, after defeating a 'legend' in MMA, stated innocently that he choofs. Next thing you know emails get intercepted and other USA celeb's get shot down for trying to bring him down/sack him for smoking pot. Result is him gathering info. and trying to back himself up.

There was more to it, but that shit would have gone for 2-3 pages so I tried to edit and put in the most important info. and I agree that parts of it would have made any of us a cynic. Plus USA is known for abit of extra propoganda' so please take it for what it was, "USA-based info." , and no offence to our neighbours!

But I thought it would be a good read none the less.

take care

Lok

In the "Fact Book on the war on Drugs" that's available online, a quote from a DEA judge of all people says something like "A person can die from eating just 3 potatoes, yet the amount of marijuana that would be required to do any physical harm is for all practicle purposes impossible"

I have the quote on disc somewhere if anyone wants the judge's name.

rob

I do agree that it's a lot less harmful than tobacco though, at least we know that when we grow it at home, it hasn't been sprayed with vast amounts of harmful pesticides or had multiple chemicals added to the finished product to make it "smoother" or "sweeter". 

You can grow tobacco yourself too without chemicals. I think Bought MJ is a much worse thing, there is no safety/chemical regulations on the way MJ is grown and big big commercial growers (bikers) are evil fucking scum who dont give a shit whose lungs they hurt as long as they get money. The owners of Tobacco companies are guys with families who are lying to themselves, and if they are not, they cant do anything too bad because the manufacturing process would be regulated by the government.

I think MJ would have killed many, not THC, but mouldy buds could lead to say pneumonia then death or tongue cancer or something.

Tobacco is probably more dangerous cos the average person don't smoke a pack of joints a day. But MJ has heaps of added risks, stupidity, clumsiness, lack of co-ordination, loss of balance, paranoia.

You cant tell me noone has ever climbed up a cliff, got stoned and fell off. Or drowned, or crashed there car. I see people do dangerous things cos they are stoned all the time.

And sleeping stoners houses must burn down a fair bit too.