Mastering The Bong

i've had a lot of experience with coughing my guts up and trying not to :blink:

i have a few tips which generally work for me. they might be obvious 'how to smoke bongs' tips, but i had to work this out myself.

things to concentrate on, mostly.

when pulling, pull about as much smoke as you think you can handle into the chamber without actually inhaling, and then try to take it cleanly down into your lungs. i might get slagged for this, but you don't always need to smoke in one hit. my friends and i almost always take two. i find i have a pretty decent perception of how much is enough for each inhilation. try and pull slowly, then fast finish.

also, i find that when pulling a cone, if you don't get a little bit of oxygen after it, when trying to hold in the smoke it can irritate your throat and make it very difficult to actually finish inhaling, causing that choke and cough. i generally try and make sure it has gone down into my lungs, and isn't lingering around my tonsils and throat etc.

it sounds a bit base, but do try not to cough, unless there is no controlling it. i find coughing while smoking usually just shakes things up in my lungs rather than clearing them. i just do a bit of a clear up cough after the urge to cough has completely subsided, its much more effective and less likely to happen the next time that way.

you should think about your posture etc. a bit too, which helps me, i think about the back of my shoulders and belly, mostly, if they are tensed too much it makes inhilation a lot harder.

but i don't know, coughs are pretty individual. hopefully some of this can help you.