tri-node clone

Hey all, new member here, I have chopped my first stem for a clone, i was looking for a good one to cut and found a lower branch that had tripple nodes all the way to the top! it's only a small one...about 20cm but looks like it could have good results..if i dont kill it first :D I dipped it in purple clone gel and put it in a jiffy pellet, chopped the bottom leaves and trimmed the middle ones, i dont have much equipment on hand so i have to constantly look after it, spraying the leaves and keeping it humid inside, How long (if it doesn't die first) should i expect for a root system? if i had the right equipment i'm sure it would be a fast process.

anyway is this a common thing with cannabis?

here's a pic of the stem

post-36943-1259037869_thumb.jpg

trifoliate

quick and cheap humidity dome for such a special little lady would be a empty 2L PET bottle. I like the idea of cutting the bottom off and also having the cap off, to let some air escape. I've heard others suggest cutting the top off and upending the bottle, with smaller air holes.

what do u mean the trait goes away? like eventually the plant will just develop one stem per node like usual?

also sorry to bombard you with questions but how long till the cutting i made recovers and stops wilting? it looked a little dire the first day but seems to be correcting itself very slowly, I hope it pulls thru

what do u mean the trait goes away? like eventually the plant will just develop one stem per node like usual?

also sorry to bombard you with questions but how long till the cutting i made recovers and stops wilting? it looked a little dire the first day but seems to be correcting itself very slowly, I hope it pulls thru

Some wilting is normal. Expect roots in 5-10 days and don't leave it on a cold surface.

:D :thumbsup:

trifoliate

Close but not quite, trifoliate means 3 lobes to a leaf, like a clover leaf.

triploid

Further away, triploid refers to a cell with 3 sets of paired chromosomes... it's not a description of leaf arrangement. Although polyploidy can be chemically induced and often results in altered leaf arrangements.

The accurate description of the leaf arrangement is whorled phyllotaxy (3 or more leaves emanating from a single node).

Leaf morphology

Whorled phyllotaxy is a fairly common abnormality in cannabis. It's usually seen on vegging plants as a variation on the usual oppositional pattern. It usually disappears when the plant matures and the phyllotaxy naturally changes over to the alternating pattern associated with flowering.

At the moment I have a PPP mother plant that occasionally throws up a shoot with a partial whorl (3 leaves at every second node). The whorled shoots don't make for more productive plants but they do look interesting.

post-20731-1259149223_thumb.jpgpost-20731-1259149315_thumb.jpg

Yeah I studied botany as a youngster.

very interesting, well just to recap, the cutting i took was from the bottom stem of the bush (which like you say had the one and only trifoliate stem like yours occasionaly produce), the second node of that stem developed into a trifoliate and is where i chopped it and cloned, so far it has 3 nodes with trifoliate leaves and then the leaf cluster, hopefully when rooting happens and the plant starts growing i'll see more trifoliate nodes, The plant seems to have just about stableised itself from wilting which is a good sign >:( i've been spraying the leaves twice a day or when the lid of the greenhouse is dry which is a bit more often in this heat, i have it sitting under a window with filtered light (flyscreen door) only a little direct sunlight each morning gets in which is ok

I did put the little greenhouse outside a couple times and yea it wilted cos i forgot about it but it was fine once i brought it back inside.

i guess you would have to find a male and female plant that regularly produce 3 or more stems per node and cross them to keep the trait going, but the seeds from those things would be more costly knowing that they're a high yielder right?