Cannabis and dependence

Typically, people who use cannabis do not progress to using the drug regularly, or for long periods of time. Most will experiment every now and then with cannabis during adolescence and early adulthood and stop using once they are in their mid to late 20s. However, some people will use cannabis for longer and more often, and become dependent on the drug. Historically, cannabis was not seen as a drug of dependence in the same way as heroin or alcohol, but cannabis dependence is now well recognised in the scientific community.

exactly please

some people is BS

i wanna know how manny people

what is the preporting of the cannabis comsuming community that SOME people refiers too

show me the stats--->some people will use cannabis for longer and more often, and become dependent

show me the link

to this --->cannabis dependence is now well recognised in the scientific community

i dont believe you

What is cannabis dependence?

Dependence on cannabis means that the person needs to use cannabis just to feel 'normal'.

BS what about medicinal use

eg chronic pain suffers

thats the whole idea

thats what we want to feel normal

In order to be diagnosed as cannabis dependent, a person needs to experience at least three of the following in the one year:

* tolerance to the effects of cannabis, meaning that more cannabis is needed to get the same effect;

BS this is not so it does not take very long to build up tollerance and i would consider this a benifett for medicinal users
* withdrawal from the effects of cannabis, such as irritability, trouble sleeping and depressive symptoms;
more BS

* using more cannabis than was intended;
this is a filler to make another line repeating the very first tollerance point
* persistent desire to stop taking cannabis or to cut down and being unsuccessful at this;
hahaha what a load of crap total BS show me the stats where is you proof
* spending lots of time obtaining, using or recovering from the use of cannabis;
oh there getting lame now and making unsubstantiatad insinuations that cannabis causes symtons even long time after it is ceased
* giving up important activities in favour of using cannabis; and/or
BS who say what is important

show me the proof

this is 100% BS

* using cannabis even when it is known that it causes problems
what problems?????

more unsubstandtioated BS

What are the consequences of being dependent on cannabis?

People who are dependent on cannabis are at a higher risk of suffering from the negative consequences of using the drug, such as short term memory impairment,

BS this is a big atvantage if one suffers PTSD
mental health problems
100% debunked by many studies
and respiratory diseases (if cannabis is smoked).
what respiratory diseases?????

show me the links to the study

Regular use and dependence also leads to problems with finances,
BS grow it in yah garden its free
conflict in relationships with family and friends,
not ture infact cannabis is a social ting for parties
and employment problems.
only because it is illegal and anyone court will be a criminal

and that is the bigest problem with cannabis it is prohibited by law

How many people become dependent on cannabis?

It has been estimated that there are at least 200,000 people dependent on cannabis in Australia.

lets look at this

we have 7mil smokers in oz and you say 200,000 are Dependant

crunch the numbers and we get somewhere round 0,002% of the cannabis comsuming population in oz are dependint

About one in ten people who have tried cannabis at least once in their lifetimes will become dependent on the drug. The more often you use cannabis the more likely you are to become dependent. If someone uses cannabis everyday, then they have a 50/50 chance of becoming dependent.
so you got a 50/50/ chance of becoming dependant if you are the one in ten
Young people develop cannabis dependence more quickly than adults.
fear bergers for parents this is crap
Who are most at risk of being dependent on cannabis?

The earlier a person starts using cannabis, and the more they use, the more likely they are to become dependent. Studies have shown that males are more likely than females to be dependent on cannabis.

What are the symptoms of cannabis withdrawal?

what study??????

why dont you show the links

irey guidance

One of the most common symptoms of cannabis dependence is the experience of discomfort when ceasing use known as withdrawal.
thats not a very good reason -->experience of discomfort
Studies with cannabis users who have recently quit report that withdrawal symptoms start on the first day, usually peak in the first two to three days, and with the exception of sleep disturbance, are usually very mild by the sixth day.
experience of discomfort is very mild from day 1
The most common symptoms include:

* anxiety/nervousness

not true show me the stats and studies
* reduced appetite
actually i tend to eat more
* irritability/restlessness
this is not a considerable withdrawal sympton
* sleep difficulties
BS does not happen
including strange dream
this is part of the medicinal qualities that cure PTSD
Even though these symptoms are not life threatening, they can be distressing enough for the person trying to stop smoking cannabis, to start using again.'

that does not justifiy spending $14,ooo,ooo of public money

irey guidance

Been reading a lot of the NCPIC website and noticed they make very good use of the word inconclusive, which makes it very hard to produce science based evidence to completely debunk basically anything they claim (or imply).

But, I think I can see a few ways we could get though there fortress of propaganda. Firstly they claim there here to provide “evidence based information” to help “prevent” cannabis use in the community, yet (unless I missed it) they only mention what the laws are and don’t go into the effects the laws have on cannabis users. I know there’s heaps of solid evidence out there that shows the law not only has no effect on the rate of use, but that prohibition (from all evidence available) actually seems to increase the rate of cannabis use, probably since kids have such easy access to it, although exactly why I don’t think can be proven.

There coy stance on cannabis prohibition (or the effect the law has on cannabis users and the rate of use) is where there weakness probably is. But also medical cannabis, why they don’t recognize it would be a good direction. It would be really hard to prove them wrong with the psychosis thing since they don’t actually seem to claim cannabis causes it, they jus t imply it.

I really don’t have a creative side, so I don’t think I’d be any good at making fliers and all that. But the fact they have no public stance on prohibition and don’t recognize medical cannabis, is probably the way to go.

Use there own information to question there effectivness rather than just go on the attack, :).

Some very good ideas coming out of this thread.

I'd suggest someone checking out the actual site where the conference will be held

Using the information available in the medical Cannabis forum is an excellent non confrontational approach that can be distributed by hippies in disheveled clothing as well as clean cut suit and tie types :)

Someone that has a lot of spare time on their hands could be searching the forums to cut and paste the best info into something easily readable and able to be printed and handed out on one page.

No need to vote

No need to ask for bus money

Just step up

I agree I don't think actually attacking any org is the way to go, it would just make us look like another bunch of hippy protesters to passionate to from a reliable argument.

I have nothing against the hippy community but IMO people that are in the 1 in 5 catergory already know the score. It's not their attitudes and opinions we need to change its the sheep of society that need to see the new fields.

I just think that if there is to be a rally casual to office dress sence would get more attention. I know how people ( the general public) feel about te hippy movement. They have been the jokes of the movie and maedia for years, there the comic relief scapegoat.

I know a fair few hippys up north and they are all really smart but "people" ( the same we need opinions to change) don't see it that way they just think dumb stoners that say "Peace man". I'm not trying to insult any1 its just I know when people say a whole heap of guys with colored threads and bongo drums, they never think of anything other than the bad public perseptions.

I'm just putting that out there as I know I tend to listen to groups that are well dressed and well organized. It's kinda the after affect of many years of productive captialism. just my 2 cents if I offended anyone well i sold better wearing nice clothing then wearing a metal tshirt with all my peircings.

hey,

The powerhouse museum is over the monorail bridge behind paddys market or china town... Im guessing theyll be holding this in one of the conference rooms on the lower levels or possibly outside in the cafeteria area.. I cant seam to find any information on their website about the ncpic coming although i dont think powerhouse would be making much mention of it... Dont think I'll be able to make it there myself but will try to get some friends keen from sydney.. Also if there are any stickers needed for the event drop me a pm..... http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/

One small thing, can people please stop hanging shit on the hippies and recognise that apart from OzStoners if it wasn't for Nimbin and the good people there you would have had no protest voice in Australia. Period.

The need to stop this divisionary talk right from the start and embrace ALL interested members in the Cannabis Community is very important.

One thing I would be nicely asking Radic, as he's one of these disheveled hippie characters :toke: :) is if he could ask concensus to see if this warrants 'The Big Joint' making a road trip?

:)

show me the stats and studies

Publications bulletin - July 2009

Relevant publications examining issues to do with cannabis that have been published in the last month include the following:

* Agrawal, A., Wetherill, L., Dick, D.M., Xuei, X., Hinrichs, A., Hesselbrock, V., Kramer, J., Nurnberger, J.I. Jr., Schuckit, M., Bierut, L.J., Edenberg, H.J., & Foroud, T. (2009). Evidence for association between polymorphisms in the cannabinoid receptor 1 (CNR1) gene and cannabis dependence. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics 150B, 736-740.

* Bernburg, J.G., Thorlindsson, T. & Sigfusdottir, I.D. (2009). The neighborhood effects of disrupted family processes on adolescent substance use. Social Science & Medicine 69, 129-137.

* Boserman, C. (2009). Diaries from cannabis users: An interpretative phenomenological analysis. Health (London) 13, 429-448.

* Carter, C. (2009). Making residential cannabis growing operations actionable: A critical policy analysis. International Journal on Drug Policy 20, 371-376.

* de Dios, M.A., Vaughan, E.L., Stanton, C.A., & Niaura, R. (2009). Adolescent tobacco use and substance abuse treatment outcomes. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 37, 17-24.

* Ehlers, C.L., Gilder, D.A., Gizer, I.R., & Wilhelmsen, K.C. (2009). Heritability and a genome-wide linkage analysis of a Type II/B cluster construct for cannabis dependence in an American Indian community. Addiction Biology 14, 338-348.

* Hides, L., Lubman, D.I., Buckby, J., Yuen, H.P., Cosgrave, E., Baker, K., & Yung, A.R. (2009). The association between early cannabis use and psychotic-like experiences in a community adolescent sample. Schizophrenia Research 112, 130-135.

* Indlekofer, F., Piechatzek, M., Daamen, M., Glasmacher, C., Lieb, R., Pfister, H., Tucha, O., Lange, K., Wittchen, H., & Schütz, C. (2009). Reduced memory and attention performance in a population-based sample of young adults with a moderate lifetime use of cannabis, ecstasy and alcohol. Journal of Psychopharmacology 23, 495-509.

* Lucas, P. (2009). Moral regulation and the presumption of guilt in Health Canada's medical cannabis policy and practice. International Journal on Drug Policy 20, 296-303.

* Raby, W.N., Carpenter, K.M., Rothenberg, J., Brooks, A.C., Jiang, H., Sullivan, M., Bisaga, A., Comer, S., & Nunes, E.V. (2009). Intermittent marijuana use is associated with improved retention in naltrexone treatment for opiate-dependence. The American Journal on Addictions 18, 301-308.

* Schnell, T., Koethe, D., Daumann, J., & Gouzoulis-Mayfrank, E. (2009). The role of cannabis in cognitive functioning of patients with schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 205, 45-52.

* Seely, K.A., Levi, M.S. & Prather, P.L. (2009). The dietary polyphenols trans-resveratrol and curcumin selectively bind human CB1 cannabinoid receptors with nanomolar affinities and function as antagonists/inverse agonists. The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 330, 31-39.

=================

Publications bulletin - June 2009

Relevant publications examining issues to do with cannabis that have been published in the last month include the following:

* Caris, L., Wagner, F.A., Ríos-Bedoya, C.F., & Anthony, J.C. (2009). Opportunities to use drugs and stages of drug involvement outside the United States: Evidence from the Republic of Chile. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 30-34.

* Heishman, S.J., Evans, R.J., Singleton, E.G., Levin, K.H., Copersino, M.L., & Gorelick, D.A. (2009). Reliability and validity of a short form of the Marijuana Craving Questionnaire. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 35-40.

* Hjorthøj, C., Fohlmann, A. & Nordentoft, M. (2009). Treatment of cannabis use disorders in people with schizophrenia spectrum disorders - a systematic review. Addictive Behaviors 34, 520-525.

* Hyman, S.M. & Sinha, R. (2009). Stress-related factors in cannabis use and misuse: Implications for prevention and treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 36, 400-413.

* Mason, O., Morgan, C.J., Dhiman, S.K., Patel, A., Parti, N., Patel, A., & Curran, H.V. (2009). Acute cannabis use causes increased psychotomimetic experiences in individuals prone to psychosis. Psychological Medicine 39, 951-956.

* Primack, B.A., Kraemer, K.L., Fine, M.J., & Dalton, M.A. (2009). Media exposure and marijuana and alcohol use among adolescents. Substance Use and Misuse 44, 722-739.

* Ridenour, T.A., Tarter, R.E., Reynolds, M., Mezzich, A., Kirisci, L., & Vanyukov, M. (2009). Neurobehavior disinhibition, parental substance use disorder, neighborhood quality and development of cannabis use disorder in boys. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 71-77.

* Riggs, N.R. & Pentz, M.A. (2009). Long-term effects of adolescent marijuana use prevention on adult mental health services utilization: The midwestern prevention project. Substance Use and Misuse 44, 616-631.

* Sartor, C.E., Agrawal, A., Lynskey, M.T., Bucholz, K.K., Madden, P.A., & Heath, A.C. (2009). Common genetic influences on the timing of first use for alcohol, cigarettes, and cannabis in young African-American women. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 49-55.

* Schwarcz, G., Karajgi, B. & McCarthy, R. (2009). Synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (dronabinol) can improve the symptoms of schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacoly 29, 255-258.

* Singh, R., Sandhu, J., Kaur, B., Juren, T., Steward, W.P., Segerbäck, D., & Farmer, P.B. (2009). Evaluation of the DNA damaging potential of cannabis cigarette smoke by the determination of acetaldehyde derived N2-ethyl-2'-deoxyguanosine adducts. Chemical Research in Toxicology 22, 1181-1188.

* Sloboda, Z., Stephens, R.C., Stephens, P.C., Grey, S.F., Teasdale, B., Hawthorne, R.D., Williams, J., & Marquette, J.F. (2009). The Adolescent Substance Abuse Prevention Study: A randomized field trial of a universal substance abuse prevention program. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 1-10.

* Stephens, P.C., Sloboda, Z., Stephens, R.C., Teasdale, B., Grey, S.F., Hawthorne, R.D., & Williams, J. (2009). Universal school-based substance abuse prevention programs: Modeling targeted mediators and outcomes for adolescent cigarette, alcohol and marijuana use. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 19-29.

* Swift, W., Coffey, C., Carlin, J.B., Degenhardt, L., Calabria, B., & Patton, G.C. (2009). Are adolescents who moderate their cannabis use at lower risk of later regular and dependent cannabis use? Addiction 104, 806-814.

* Vigano, D., Guidali, C., Petrosino, S., Realini, N., Rubino, T., Di Marzo, V., & Parolaro, D. (2009). Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in phencyclidine-induced cognitive deficits modelling schizophrenia. The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology 12, 599-614.

* Wittchen, H.U., Behrendt, S., Höfler, M., Perkonigg, A., Rehm, J., Lieb, R., & Beesdo, K. (2009). A typology of cannabis-related problems among individuals with repeated illegal drug use in the first three decades of life: Evidence for heterogeneity and different treatment needs. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 102, 151-157.

====================

Publications bulletin - May 2009

Research publications

* Brodie, L., Lyndal, B. & Elias, I.J. (2009). Heavy vehicle driver fatalities: Learning’s from fatal road crash investigations in Victoria. Accident; Analysis and Prevention 41, 557-564.

* Fletcher, A., Bonell, C., Sorhaindo, A., & Rhodes, T. (2009). Cannabis use and ‘safe’ identities in an inner-city school risk environment. International Journal on Drug Policy 20, 244-250.

* Hall, W. & Lynskey, M. (2009). The challenges in developing a rational cannabis policy. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 22, 258-262.

* Hunault, C.C., Mensinga, T.T., Böcker, K.B., Schipper, C.M., Kruidenier, M., Leenders, M.E., de Vries, I., & Meulenbelt, J. (2009). Cognitive and psychomotor effects in males after smoking a combination of tobacco and cannabis containing up to 69 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Psychopharmacology 204, 85-94.

* Muhuri, P.K. & Gfroerer, J.C. (2009).Substance use among women: Associations with pregnancy, parenting, and race/ethnicity. Maternal and Child Health Journal 13, 376-385.

* Ramaekers, J., Kauert, G., Theunissen, E., Toennes, S., & Moeller, M. (2009). Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users. Journal of Psychopharmacology 23, 266-277.

* Ranganathan, M., Braley, G., Pittman, B., Cooper, T., Perry, E., Krystal, J., & D’Souza, D.C. (2009). The effects of cannabinoids on serum cortisol and prolactin in humans.

Psychopharmacology 203, 737-744.

* Ross, A.J. & Davies, J.B. (2009). Cannabis ‘drugspeak’ from young people in Easterhouse, Glasgow. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy 16, 152-166.

* Satyanarayana, V. (2009). Mental health consequences of cannabis use. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 119, 411-412.

* Scuderi, C., Filippis, D.D., Iuvone, T., Blasio, A., Steardo, A., & Esposito, G. (2009). Cannabidiol in medicine: A review of its therapeutic potential in CNS disorders. Phytotherapy Research 23, 597-602.

* Sewell, R.A., Poling, J. & Sofuoglu, M. (2009). The effect of cannabis compared with alcohol on driving. The American Journal on Addictions 18, 185-193.

* Wu, L.T., Pan, J.J., Blazer, D.G., Tai, B., Stitzer, M.L., Brooner, R.K., Woody, G.E., Patkar, A.A., & Blaine, J.D. (2009). An item response theory modeling of alcohol and marijuana dependences: A National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network study. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 70, 414-425.

* Zaldívar Basurto, F., García Montes, J.M., Flores Cubos, P., Sánchez Santed, F., López Ríos, F., & Molina Moreno, A. (2009). Validity of the self-report on drug use by university students: Correspondence between self-reported use and use detected in urine. Psicothema 21, 213-219.

===================

Publications bulletin - April 2009

* Agrawal, A. & Lynskey, M.T. (2009). Candidate genes for cannabis use disorders: Findings, challenges and directions. Addiction 104, 518-532.

* Agrawal, A., Lynskey, M.T., Madden, P.A., Pergadia, M.L., Bucholz, K.K., & Heath, A.C. (2009). Simultaneous cannabis and tobacco use and cannabis-related outcomes in young women. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 101, 8-12.

* Anand, P., Whiteside, G., Fowler, C.J., & Hohmann, A.G. (2009). Targeting CB(2) receptors and the endocannabinoid system for the treatment of pain. Brain Research Reviews 60, 255-266.

* Bhattacharyya, S., Fusar-Poli, P., Borgwardt, S., Martin-Santos, R., Nosarti, C., O’Carroll, C., Allen, P., Seal, M.L., Fletcher, P.C., Crippa, J.A., Giampietro, V., Mechelli, A., Atakan, Z., & McGuire, P. (2009). Modulation of mediotemporal and ventrostriatal function in humans by delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol: A neural basis for the effects of cannabis sativa on learning and psychosis. Archives of General Psychiatry 66, 442-451.

* Esterberg, M.L., Goulding, S.M., McClure-Tone, E.B., & Compton, M.T. (2009). Schizotypy and nicotine, alcohol, and cannabis use in a non-psychiatric sample. Addictive Behaviors 34, 374-379.

* Frewen, A.R., Baillie, A.J. & Montebello, M.E. (2009). Are cannabis users who participate in a randomized clinical trial different from other treatment seekers? Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 36, 339-344.

* Levine, S.B. & Coupey, S.M. (2009). Nonmedical use of prescription medications: An emerging risk behavior among rural adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health 44, 407-409.

* Lile, J.A., Kelly, T.H., Pinsky, D.J., & Hays, L.R. (2009). Substitution profile of delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol, triazolam, hydromorphone, and methylphenidate in humans discriminating delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 203, 241-250.

* Merikangas, K.R., Conway, K.P., Swendsen, J., Febo, V., Dierker, L., Brunetto, W., Stolar, M., & Canino, G. (2009). Substance use and behaviour disorders in Puerto Rican youth: A migrant family study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 63, 310-316.

* Merikangas, K.R., Li, J.J., Stipelman, B., Yu, K., Fucito, L., Swendsen, J., & Zhang, H. (2009). The familial aggregation of cannabis use disorders. Addiction 104, 622-629.

* Pape, H., Rossow, I. & Storvoll, E.E. (2009). Under double influence: Assessment of simultaneous alcohol and cannabis use in general youth populations. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 101, 69-73.

* Riou Franca, L., Dautzenberg, B., Falissard, B., & Reynaud, M. (2009). Are social norms associated with smoking in French university students? A survey report on smoking correlates. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 4, 4.

* Santamariña-Rubio, E., Pérez, K., Ricart, I., Rodríguez-Sanz, M., Rodríguez-Martos, A., Brugal, M.T., Borrell, C., Ariza, C., Díez, E., Beneyto, V.M., Nebot, M., Ramos, P., & Suelves, J.M. (2009). Substance use among road traffic casualties admitted to emergency departments. Injury Prevention 15, 87-94.

* Schacht, J.P., Selling, R.E. & Hutchison, K.E. (2009). Intermediate cannabis dependence phenotypes and the FAAH C385A variant: An exploratory analysis. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 203, 511-517.

===============

Publications bulletin - March 2009

* Boleda, M.A., Galceran, M.A. & Ventura, F. (2009). Monitoring of opiates, cannabinoids and their metabolites in wastewater, surface water and finished water in Catalonia, Spain. Water Research 43, 1126-1136.

* Caldeira, K.M., Arria, A.M., O’Grady, K.E., Vincent, K.B., & Wish, E.D. (2008). The occurrence of cannabis use disorders and other cannabis-related problems among first-year college students. Addictive Behaviors 33, 397-411.

* Chen, C.Y., Storr, C.L. & Anthony, J.C. (2009). Early-onset drug use and risk for drug dependence problems. Addictive Behaviors 34, 319-322.

* Compton, W.M., Saha, T.D., Conway, K.P., & Grant, B.F. (2009). The role of cannabis use within a dimensional approach to cannabis use disorders. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 100, 221-227.

* Cowan, R.L., Joers, J.M. & Dietrich, M.S. (2009). N-acetylaspartate (NAA) correlates inversely with cannabis use in a frontal language processing region of neocortex in MDMA (Ecstasy) polydrug users: A 3 T magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior 92, 105-110.

* D’Souza, D.C., Pittman, B., Perry, E., & Simen, A. (2009). Preliminary evidence of cannabinoid effects on brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 202, 569-578.

* Farquhar-Smith, W.P. (2009). Do cannabinoids have a role in cancer pain management? Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care 3, 7-13.

* Fergusson, D.M., Horwood, L.J. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Is driving under the influence of cannabis becoming a greater risk to driver safety than drink driving? Findings from a longitudinal study. Accident; Analysis and Prevention 40, 1345-1350.

* Fletcher, A., Bonell, C., Sorhaindo, A., & Rhodes, T. (2009). Cannabis use and ‘safe’ identities in an inner-city risk environment. International Journal of Drug Policy 20, 244-250.

* Gillespie, N.A., Neale, M.C., Jacobson, K., & Kendler, K.S. (2009). Modeling the genetic and environmental association between peer group deviance and cannabis use in male twins. Addiction 104, 420-429.

* Gillespie, N.A., Neale, M.C. & Kendler, K.S. (2009). Pathways to cannabis abuse: A multi-stage model from cannabis availability, cannabis initiation and progression to abuse. Addiction 104, 430-438.

* Henry, K.L., Thornberry, T.P. & Huizinga, D.H. (2009). A discrete-time survival analysis of the relationship between truancy and the onset of marijuana use. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 70, 5-15.

* Kay-Lambkin, F.J., Baker, A.L., Lewin, T.J., & Carr, V.J. (2009). Computer-based psychological treatment for comorbid depression and problematic alcohol and/or cannabis use: A randomized controlled trial of clinical efficacy. Addiction 104, 378-388.

* López, R. & Baelum, V. (2009). Cannabis use and destructive periodontal diseases among adolescents. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 36, 185-189.

* Montgomery, C., Fisk, J.E. & Craig, L. (2008). The effects of perceived parenting style on the propensity for illicit drug use: The importance of parental warmth and control. Drug and Alcohol Review 27, 640-649.

* Reinarman, C. (2009). Cannabis policies and user practices: Market separation, price, potency, and accessibility in Amsterdam and San Francisco. International Journal of Drug Policy 20, 28-37.

* Richer, I. & Bergeron, J. (2009). Driving under the influence of cannabis: Links with dangerous driving, psychological predictors, and accident involvement. Accident; Analysis and Prevention 41, 299-307.

* Schaub, M., Fanghaenel, K., Senn, C., & Stohler, R. (2008). Cannabis using schizophrenia patients treated with atypical neuroleptics: Do their symptoms differ from those of cannabis abstainers? Substance Use and Misuse 43, 2045-2052.

* Veselska, Z., Geckova, A.M., Orosova, O., Gajdosova, B., van Dijk, J.P., & Reijneveld, S.A. (2009). Self-esteem and resilience: The connection with risky behavior among adolescents. Addictive Behaviors 34, 287-291.

* Xiao, Z. (2008). Sensation seeking and impulsivity: The direct and indirect effects of adolescent marijuana use. Journal of Substance Use 13, 415-433.

====================

Publications bulletin - February 2009

* Bossong, M.G., van Berckel, B.N., Boellaard, R., Zuurman, L., Schuit, R.C., Windhorst, A.D., van Gerven, J.M., Ramsey, N.F., Lammertsma, A.A., & Kahn, R.S. (2009). Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol induces dopamine release in the human striatum. Neuropsychopharmacology 34, 759-766.

* Brook, J.S., Zhang, C., Koppel, J., & Brook, D.W. (2008). Pathways from earlier marijuana use in the familial and non-familial environments to self-marijuana use in the fourth decade of life. American Journal on Addictions 17, 497-503.

* Chabrol, H. & Saint-Martin, C. (2009). Cannabis use and delinquent behaviors in high-school students. Addictive Behaviors 34, 187-189.

* Ellis, R.J., Toperoff, W., Vaida, F., van den Brande, G., Gonzales, J., Gouaux, B., Bentley, H., & Atkinson, J.H. (2009). Smoked medicinal cannabis for neuropathic pain in HIV: A randomized, crossover clinical trial. Neuropsychopharmacology 34, 672-680.

* Gmel, G., Kuendig, H., Rehm, J., Schreyer, N., & Daeppen, J.B. (2009). Alcohol and cannabis use as risk factors for injury – a case-crossover analysis in a Swiss hospital emergency department. BMC Public Health 9, 40.

* Gray, K.M., LaRowe, S.D. & Upadhyaya, H.P. (2008). Cue reactivity in young marijuana smokers: A preliminary investigation. Psychology of Addictive Behaviours 22, 582-586.

* Hartman, C.A., Gelhorn, H., Crowley, T.J., Sakai, J.T., Stallings, M., Young, S.E., Rhee, S.H., Corley, R., Hewitt, J.K., & Hopfer, C.J. (2008). Item response theory analysis of DSM-IV cannabis abuse and dependence criteria in adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 47, 165-173.

* Hayatbakhsh, M.R., Najman, J.M., Jamrozik, K., Mamun, A.A., O’Callaghan, M.J., & Williams, G.M. (2009). Childhood sexual abuse and cannabis use in early adulthood: Findings from an Australian birth cohort study. Archives of Sexual Behaviour 38, 135-142.

* Henquet, C., Rosa, A., Delespaul, P., Papiol, S., Fananás, L., van Os, J., & Myin-Germeys, I. (2009). COMT ValMet moderation of cannabis-induced psychosis: A momentary assessment study of ‘switching on’ hallucinations in the flow of daily life. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 119, 156-160.

* Houston, J.E., Murphy, J., Adamson, G., Stringer, M., & Shevlin, M. (2008). Childhood sexual abuse, early cannabis use, and psychosis: Testing an interaction model based on the National Comorbidity Survey. Schizophrenia Bulletin 34, 580-585.

* Khazaal, Y., Chatton, A., Cochand, S., & Zullino, D. (2008). Quality of web-based information on cannabis addiction. Journal of Drug Education 38, 97-107.

* Kintz, P., Brunet, B., Muller, J.F., Serra, W., Villain, M., Cirimele, V., & Mura, P. (2009). Evaluation of the Cozart DDSV test for cannabis in oral fluid. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 31, 131-134.

* Kuntsche, E., Simons-Morton, B., Fotiou, A., ter Bogt, T., Kokkevi, A., & Health Behavior in School-Aged Children Study. (2009). Decrease in adolescent cannabis use from 2002 to 2006 and links to evenings out with friends in 31 European and North American countries and regions. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 163, 119-125.

* Matthews, A., Bruno, R., Johnston, J., Black, E., Degenhardt, L., & Dunn, M. (2009). Factors associated with driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs among an Australian sample of regular ecstasy users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 100, 24-31.

* Melamede, R. (2009). Parasitic brain infection, endocannabinoids, and schizophrenia. Medical Hypotheses 72, 220-222.

* Mennes, C.E., Ben Abdallah, A. & Cottler, L.B. (2009). The reliability of self-reported cannabis abuse, dependence and withdrawal symptoms: Multisite study of differences between general population and treatment groups. Addictive Behaviors 34, 223-226.

* Overney, L.S., Arzy, S. & Blanke, O. (2009). Deficient mental own-body imagery in a neurological patient with out-of-body experiences due to cannabis use. Cortex 45, 228-235.

* Ranney, D.N., Acker, W.B., Al-Holou, S.N., Ehrlichman, L., Lee, D.S., Lewin, S.A., Nguyen, C., Peterson, S.F., Sell, K., Kubus, J., Reid, D., & Englesbe, M.J. (2009). Marijuana use in potential liver transplant candidates. American Journal of Transplantation 9, 280-285.

* Riggs, N.R., Chou, C.P. & Pentz, M.A. (2009). Protecting against intergenerational problem behavior: Mediational effects of prevented marijuana use on second-generation parent-child relationships and child impulsivity. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 100, 153-160.

* Ruiz-Veguilla, M., Gurpegui, M., Barrigón, M.L., Ferrín, M., Marín, E., Rubio, J.L., Gutiérrez, B., Pintor, A., & Cervilla, J. (2009). Fewer neurological soft signs among first episode psychosis patients with heavy cannabis use. Schizophrenia Research 107, 158-164.

* Schulenberg, J.E. & O’Malley, P.M. (2009). “Get high with a little help from my friends”: Implications of the historical covariation of cannabis use and evenings out. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 163, 183-184.

* Scott, J., Martin, G., Bor, W., Sawyer, M., Clark, J., & McGrath, J. (2009). The prevalence and correlates of hallucinations in Australian adolescents: Results from a national survey. Schizophrenia Research 107, 179-185.

* Skenderian, J.J., Siegel, J.T., Crano, W.D., Alvaro, E.E., & Lac, A. (2008). Expectancy change and adolescents’ intentions to use marijuana. Psychology of Addictive Behaviours 22, 563-569.

* Van der Kooy, F., Pomahacova, B. & Verpoorte, R. (2009). Cannabis smoke condensate II: Influence of tobacco on tetrahydrocannabinol levels. Inhalation Toxicology 21, 87-90.

* Vaughn, M., Wallace, J., Perron, B., Copeland, V., & Howard, M. (2008). Does marijuana use serve as a gateway to cigarette use for high-risk African-American youth? American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 34, 782-791.

=========================

Publications bulletin - January 2009

* Agrawal, A. & Lynskey, M.T. (2009). Tobacco and cannabis co-occurrence: Does route of administration matter? Drug and Alcohol Dependence 99, 240-247.

* Akbas, F., Gasteyger, C., Sjödin, A., Astrup, A., & Larsen, T.M. (2009). A critical review of the cannabinoid receptor as a drug target for obesity management. Obesity Reviews: An Official Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity 10, 58-67.

* Annaheim, B., Rehm, J. & Gmel, G. (2008). How to screen for problematic cannabis use in population surveys. An evaluation of the Cannabis Use Disorders Identification Test (CUDIT) in a Swiss sample of adolescents and young adults. European Addiction Research 14, 190-197.

* Ashtari, M., Cervellione, K., Cottone, J., Ardekani, B.A., & Kumra, S. (2009). Diffusion abnormalities in adolescents and young adults with a history of heavy cannabis use. Journal of Psychiatric Research 43, 189-204.

* Behrendt, S., Wittchen, H.U., Höfler, M., Lieb, R., & Beesdo, K. (2009). Transitions from first substance use to substance use disorders in adolescence: Is early onset associated with a rapid escalation? Drug and Alcohol Dependence 99, 68-78.

* Bonn-Miller, M.O., Vujanovic, A.A. & Zvolensky, M.J. (2008). Emotional dysregulation: Association with coping-oriented marijuana use motives among current marijuana users. Substance Use and Misuse 43, 1653-1665.

* Buckner, J.D. & Schmidt, N.B. (2008). Marijuana effect expectancies: Relations to social anxiety and marijuana use problems. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1477-1483.

* Chen, A.L., Chen, T.J., Braverman, E.R., Acuri, V., Kemer, M., Varshavskiy, M., Braverman, D., Downs, W.B., Blum, S.H., Cassel, K., & Blum, K. (2008). Hypothesizing that marijuana smokers are at a significantly lower risk of carcinogenicity relative to tobacco-non-marijuana smokers: Evidenced based on statistical reevaluation of current literature. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 40, 263-272.

* Degenhardt, L., Chiu, W.T., Conway, K., Dierker, L., Glantz, M., Kalaydjian, A., Merikangas, K., Sampson, N., Swendsen, J., & Kessler, R.C. (2009). Does the ‘gateway’ matter? Associations between the order of drug use initiation and the development of drug dependence in the National Comorbidity Study Replication. Psychological Medicine 39, 157-167.

* Esson, L. (2009). Review: Short-term medical use of cannabis increases risk of non-serious adverse effects. Evidence-Based Nursing 12, 16.

* Fusar-Poli, P., Crippa, J.A., Bhattacharyya, S., Borgwardt, S.J., Allen, P., Martin-Santos, R., Seal, M., Surguladze, S.A., O’Carrol, C., Atakan, Z., Zuardi, A.W., & McGuire, P.K. (2009). Distinct effects of {delta}9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on neural activation during emotional processing. Archives of General Psychiatry 66, 95-105.

* Haney, M. (2009). Self-administration of cocaine, cannabis and heroin in the human laboratory: Benefits and pitfalls. Addiction Biology 14, 9-21.

* Hathaway, A.D. (2008). Reprioritizing dependence and abuse: A comparison of cannabis clients in treatment with a nontreatment sample of users. Addiction Research and Theory 16, 495-502.

* Hermann, D., Leménager, T., Gelbke, J., Welzel, H., Skopp, G., & Mann, K. (2009). Decision making of heavy cannabis users on the Iowa Gambling Task: Stronger association with THC of hair analysis than with personality traits of the Tridimensional Personality Questionnaire. European Addiction Research 15, 94-98.

* Hughes, L. (2008). Is cannabis bad for your health? Advances in Dual Diagnosis: Policy, Practice and Research in Mental Health and Substance Use 1, 37-40.

* Martens, K.M. & Gilbert, D.G. (2008). Marijuana and tobacco exposure predict affect-regulation expectancies in dual users. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1484-1490.

* Mendoza, M.A., Mills, D.K., Lata, H., Chandra, S., ElSohly, M.A., & Almirall, J.R. (2009). Genetic individualization of cannabis sativa by a short tandem repeat multiplex system. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 393, 719-726.

* Messinis, L. & Papathanasopoulos, P. (2009). Multiple sclerosis and cannabis: A cognitive and psychiatric study. Neurology 72, 100-101.

* Okoli, C.T., Richardson, C.G., Ratner, P.A., & Johnson, J.L. (2008). Adolescents’ self-defined tobacco use status, marijuana use, and tobacco dependence. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1491-1499.

* Pakula, B., Macdonald, S. & Stockwell, T. (2009). Settings and functions related to simultaneous use of alcohol with marijuana or cocaine among clients in treatment for substance abuse. Substance Use & Misuse 44, 212-226.

* Reinarman, C. (2009). Cannabis policies and user practices: Market separation, price, potency, and accessibility in Amsterdam and San Francisco. International Journal on Drug Policy 20, 28-37.

* Schweinsburg, A.D. (2008). The influence of marijuana use on neurocognitive functioning in adolescents. Current Drug Abuse Reviews 1, 99-111.

* Simpson, M., Lawrinson, P., Copeland, J., & Gates, P. (2009). The Alcohol Treatment Outcome Measure (ATOM): A new clinical tool for standardising outcome measurement for alcohol treatment. Addictive Behaviours 34, 121-124.

* Subramaniam, G.A., Stitzer, M.L., Woody, G., Fishman, M.J., & Kolodner, K. (2009). Clinical characteristics of treatment-seeking adolescents with opioid versus cannabis/alcohol use disorders. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 99, 141-149.

* Tang, Z. & Orwin, R.G. (2009). Marijuana initiation among American youth and its risks as dynamic processes: Prospective findings from a national longitudinal study. Substance Use and Misuse 44, 195-211.

* Tarter, R.E., Kirisci, L., Gavaler, J.S., Reynolds, M., Kirillova, G., Clark, D.B., Wu, J., Moss, H.B., & Vanyukov, M. (2009). Prospective study of the association between abandoned dwellings and testosterone level on the development of behaviors leading to cannabis use disorder in boys. Biological Psychiatry 65, 116-121.

* Taylor, S. (2008). Medicalizing cannabis - science, medicine and policy, 1950-2004: An overview of a work in progress. Drugs: Education, Prevention and Policy 15, 462-474.

* Tillement, J.P. (2009). The ignorance of cannabis toxic effects, why have we to fight it? Annales Pharmaceutiques Françaises 67, 54-55.

* van Ours, J.C. & Williams, J. (2009). Why parents worry: Initiation into cannabis use by youth and their educational attainment. Journal of Health Economics 28, 132-142.

* van Rossum, I., Boomsma, M., Tenback, D., Reed, C., & van Os, J.; the EMBLEM Advisory Board. (2009). Does cannabis use affect treatment outcome in bipolar disorder?: A longitudinal analysis. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 197, 35-40.

* Wells, J.E., Degenhardt, L., Bohnert, K.M., Anthony, J.C., & Scott, K.M. (2009). Geographical clustering of cannabis use: Results from the New Zealand Mental Health Survey 2003-2004. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 99, 309-316.

* Westin, A.A. & Slørdal, L. (2009). Passive inhalation of cannabis smoke: Is it detectable? Tidsskrift for den Norske Lægeforening 129, 109-113.

* Wichstrøm, T. & Wichstrøm, L. (2009). Does sports participation during adolescence prevent later alcohol, tobacco and cannabis use? Addiction 104, 138-149.

* Zuurman, L., Ippel, A.E., Moin, E., & van Gerven, J.M. (2009). Biomarkers for the effects of cannabis and THC in healthy volunteers. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 67, 5-21.

* Zvolensky, M.J., Bernstein, A. & Marshall, E.C. (2008). Anxiety vulnerability factors and disorders and tobacco and marijuana use and disorders: Emerging theory and research explicating their relations. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1383-1384.

====================

Publications bulletin - December 2008

* Agrawal, A., Morley, K.I., Hansell, N.K., Pergadia, M.L., Montgomery, G.W., Statham, D.J., Todd, R.D., Madden, P.A., Heath, A.C., Whitfield, J., Martin, N.G., & Lynskey, M.T. (2008). Autosomal linkage analysis for cannabis use behaviors in Australian adults. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 98, 185-190.

* Angelucci, F., Ricci, V., Spalletta, G., Pomponi, M., Tonioni, F., Caltagirone, C., & Bria, P. (2008). Reduced serum concentrations of nerve growth factor, but not brain-derived neurotrophic factor, in chronic cannabis abusers. European Neuropsychopharmacoly 18, 882-887.

* Berthiller, J., Straif, K., Boniol, M., Voirin, N., Benhaïm-Luzon, V., Ayoub, W.B., Dari, I., Laouamri, S., Hamdi-Cherif, M., Bartal, M., Ayed, F.B., & Sasco, A.J. (2008). Cannabis smoking and risk of lung cancer in men: A pooled analysis of three studies in Maghreb. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 3, 1398-1403.

* Budney, A.J., Vandrey, R.G., Hughes, J.R., Thostenson, J.D., & Bursac, Z. (2008). Comparison of cannabis and tobacco withdrawal: Severity and contribution to relapse. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 35, 362-368.

* Callaghan, R.C., Taylor, L., Moore, B.A., Jungerman, F.S., Vilela, F.A., & Budney, A.J. (2008). Recovery and URICA stage-of-change scores in three marijuana treatment studies. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 35, 419-426.

* Corcoran, C.M., Kimhy, D., Stanford, A., Khan, S., Walsh, J., Thompson, J., Schobel, S., Harkavy-Friedman, J., Goetz, R., Colibazzi, T., Cressman, V., & Malaspina, D. (2008). Temporal association of cannabis use with symptoms in individuals at clinical high risk for psychosis. Schizophrenia Research 106, 286-293.

* El Marroun, H., Tiemeier, H., Jaddoe, V.W., Hofman, A., Mackenbach, J.P., Steegers, E.A., Verhulst, F.C., van den Brink, W., & Huizink, A.C. (2008). Demographic, emotional and social determinants of cannabis use in early pregnancy: The Generation R study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 98, 218-226.

* Flores-Sanchez, I.J. & Verpoorte, R. (2008). PKS activities and biosynthesis of cannabinoids and flavonoids in cannabis sativa L. plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 49, 1767-1782.

* Huas, C., Hassler, C. & Choquet, M. (2008). Has occasional cannabis use among adolescents also to be considered as a risk marker? European Journal of Public Health 18, 626-629.

* Hunault, C.C., Mensinga, T.T., de Vries, I., Kelholt-Dijkman, H.H., Hoek, J., Kruidenier, M., Leenders, M.E., & Meulenbelt, J. (2008). Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) serum concentrations and pharmacological effects in males after smoking a combination of tobacco and cannabis containing up to 69 mg THC. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 201, 171-181.

* Khiabani, H.Z., Mørland, J. & Bramness, J.G. (2008). Frequency and irregularity of heart rate in drivers suspected of driving under the influence of cannabis. European Journal of Internal Medicine 19, 608-612.

* Maziak, W. (2008). The waterpipe: Time for action. Addiction 103, 1763-1767.

* Murillo-Rodríguez, E., Millán-Aldaco, D., Palomero-Rivero, M., Mechoulam, R., & Drucker-Colín, R. (2008). The nonpsychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol is a wake-inducing agent. Behavioral Neuroscience 122, 1378-1382.

* Piontek, D., Kraus, L. & Klempova, D. (2008). Short scales to assess cannabis-related problems: A review of psychometric properties. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 3, 25.

* Schaub, M., Fanghaenel, K. & Stohler, R. (2008). Reasons for cannabis use: Patients with schizophrenia versus matched healthy controls. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 42, 1060-1065.

* Smith, M.J., Barch, D.M., Wolf, T.J., Mamah, D., & Csernansky, J.G. (2008). Elevated rates of substance use disorders in non-psychotic siblings of individuals with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 106, 294-299.

* Valdez, A., Cepeda, A., Neaigus, A., & Russell, A. (2008). Heroin transition risk among daily and non-daily cannabis users who are non-injectors of heroin. The International Journal on Drug Policy 19, 442-449.

=====================

Publications bulletin - November 2008

* Agrawal, A., Lynskey, M.T., Pergadia, M.L., Bucholz, K.K., Heath, A.C., Martin, N.G., & Madden, P.A. (2008). Early cannabis use and DSM-IV nicotine dependence: A twin study. Addiction 103, 1896-1904.

* Arendt, M., Mortensen, P.B., Rosenberg, R., Pedersen, C.B., & Waltoft, B.L. (2008). Familial predisposition for psychiatric disorder: Comparison of subjects treated for cannabis-induced psychosis and schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry 65, 1269-1274.

* Aversa, A., Rossi, F., Francomano, D., Bruzziches, R., Bertone, C., Santiemma, V., & Spera, G. (2008). Early endothelial dysfunction as a marker of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction in young habitual cannabis users. International Journal of Impotence Research 20, 566-573.

* Bournet, B. & Buscail, L. (2008). Cannabis: A rare cause of acute pancreatitis. Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 32, 922-923.

* Cornelius, J.R., Chung, T., Martin, C., Wood, D.S., & Clark, D.B. (2008). Cannabis withdrawal is common among treatment-seeking adolescents with cannabis dependence and major depression, and is associated with rapid relapse to dependence. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1500-1505.

* Dannette, M., Fergusson, D.M. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Links between ethnic identification, cannabis use and dependence, and life outcomes in a New Zealand birth cohort. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 42, 780-788.

* Del Mar Ramirez Fernandez, M., De Boeck, G., Wood, M., Lopez-Rivadulla, M., & Samyn, N. (2008). Simultaneous analysis of THC and its metabolites in blood using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B: Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences 875, 465-470.

* Dorard, G., Berthoz, S., Haviland, M.G., Phan, O., Corcos, M., & Bungener, C. (2008). Multimethod alexithymia assessment in adolescents and young adults with a cannabis use disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry 49, 585-592.

* Eksborg, S. & Rajs, J. (2008). Causes and manners of death among users of heroin, methadone, amphetamine, and cannabis in relation to post-mortem chemical tests for illegal drugs. Substance Use and Misuse 43, 1326-1339.

* Ellgren, M., Artmann, A., Tkalych, O., Gupta, A., Hansen, H.S., Hansen, S.H., Devi, L.A., & Hurd, Y.L. (2008). Dynamic changes of the endogenous cannabinoid and opioid mesocorticolimbic systems during adolescence: THC effects. European Neuropsychopharmacology 18, 826-834.

* Fergusson, D.M. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Missing data estimation, covariate control and gender effects in the associations between cannabis use and life outcomes-response to robbeet Al. Addiction 103, 1908-1909.

* Gray, K.M., Hart, C.L., Christie, D.K., & Upadhyaya, H.P. (2008). Tolerability and effects of oral Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in older adolescents with marijuana use disorders. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behaviour 91, 67-70.

* Gudlowski, Y. & Lautenschlager, M. (2008). Impact of cannabis consumption on brain development and the risk of developing psychotic disorders. Gesundheitswesen 70, 653-657.

* Heffner, J.L., Delbello, M.P., Fleck, D.E., Anthenelli, R.M., & Strakowski, S.M. (2008). Cigarette smoking in the early course of bipolar disorder: Association with ages-at-onset of alcohol and marijuana use. Bipolar Disorders 10, 838-845.

* Henquet, C., Di Forti, M., Morrison, P., Kuepper, R., & Murray, R.M. (2008). Gene-environment interplay between cannabis and psychosis. Schizophrenia Bulletin 34, 1111-1121.

* Jager, G. (2008). Long-term consequences of adolescent cannabis exposure on the development of cognition, brain structure and function: An overview of animal and human research. Current Drug Abuse Reviews 1, 114-123.

* Justinova, Z., Munzar, P., Panlilio, L.V., Yasar, S., Redhi, G.H., Tanda, G., & Goldberg, S.R. (2008). Blockade of THC-seeking behaviour and relapse in monkeys by the cannabinoid CB(1)-receptor antagonist rimonabant. Neuropsychopharmacology 33, 2870-2877.

* Laker, C.J. (2008). A literature review to assess the reliability and validity of measures appropriate for use in research to evaluate the efficacy of a brief harm reduction strategy in reducing cannabis use among people with schizophrenia in acute inpatient settings. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 15, 777-783.

* McCambridge, J., Slym, R.L. & Strang, J. (2008). Randomized controlled trial of motivational interviewing compared with drug information and advice for early intervention among young cannabis users. Addiction 103, 1809-1818.

* Neighbors, C., Geisner, I.M. & Lee, C.M. (2008). Perceived marijuana norms and social experiences among entering college student marijuana users. Psychology of Addictive Behaviours 22, 433-438.

* Parfieniuk, A. & Flisiak, R. (2008). Role of cannabinoids in chronic liver diseases. World Journal of Gastroenterology 14, 6109-6114.

* Pedersen, W. (2008). Does cannabis use lead to depression and suicidal behaviours? A population-based longitudinal study. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 118, 395-403.

* Robbé, I.J., Alshawaf, G., Jasem, A., & Sharp, H. (2008). Cannabis, confounders and consequences. Addiction 103, 1907-1908.

* Simons, J.S., Dvorak, R.D. & Batien, B.D. (2008). Methamphetamine use in rural college population: Associations with marijuana use, sensitivity to punishment, and sensitivity to reward. Psychology of Addictive Behaviours 22, 444-449.

* Torrealday, O. (2008). Validation of the Marijuana Effect Expectancy Questionnaire - Brief. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse 17, 1-17.

* Tu, A., Ratner, P.A. & Johnson, J.L. (2008). Gender differences in the correlates of adolescents’ cannabis use. Substance Abuse and Misuse 43, 1438-1463.

* Vitalis, T., Lainé, J., Simon, A., Roland, A., Leterrier, C., & Lenkei, Z. (2008). The type 1 cannabinoid receptor is highly expressed in embryonic cortical projection neurons and negatively regulates neurite growth in vitro. The European Journal of Neuroscience 28, 1705-1718.

* Zammit, S., Moore, T.H., Lingford-Hughes, A., Barnes, T.R., Jones, P.B., Burke, M., & Lewis, G. (2008). Effects of cannabis use on outcomes of psychotic disorders: Systematic review. The British Journal of Psychiatry 193, 357-363.

=======================

Publications bulletin - October 2008

* Ashton, J. (2008). Pro-drugs for indirect cannabinoids as therapeutic agents. Current Drug Delivery 5, 243-247.

* Bloor, R.N., Wang, T.S., Spanel, P., & Smith, D. (2008). Ammonia release from heated 'street' cannabis leaf and its potential toxic effects on cannabis users. Addiction 103, 1671-1677.

* Haughey, H.M., Marshall, E., Schacht, J.P., Louis, A., & Hutchison, K.E. (2008). Marijuana withdrawal and craving: Influence of the cannabinoid receptor 1 (CNR1)and fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) genes. Addiction 103, 1678-1686.

* Liddle, H.A., Dakof, G.A., Turner, R.M., Henderson, C.E., & Greenbaum, P.E. (2008). Treating adolescent drug abuse: A randomized trial comparing multidimensional family therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy. Addiction 103, 1660-1670.

* Macleod, J., Hickman, M., Bowen, E., Alati, R., Tilling, K., & Smith, G.D. (2008). Parental drug use, early adversities, later childhood problems and children's use of tobacco and alcohol at age 10: Birth cohort study. Addiction 103, 1731-1743.

* Martínez-Rodríguez, J.E., Munteis, E., Carreño, M., Blanco, Y., Roquer, J., Abanades, S., Graus, F., & Saiz, A. (2008). Cannabis use in Spanish patients with multiple sclerosis: Fulfilment of patients' expectations? Journal of the Neurological Sciences 273, 103-107.

* Roane, B.M. & Taylor, D.J. (2008). Adolescent insomnia as a risk factor for early adult depression and substance abuse. Sleep 31, 1351-1356.

* Scherrer, J.F., Grant, J.D., Duncan, A.E., Pan, H., Waterman, B., Jacob, T., Haber, J.R., True, W.R., Heath, A.C., & Bucholz, K.K. (2008). Measured environmental contributions to cannabis abuse/dependence in an offspring of twins design. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1255-1266.

* Schierenbeck, T., Riemann, D., Berger, M., & Hornyak, M. (2008). Effect of illicit recreational drugs upon sleep: Cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana. Sleep Medicine Reviews 12, 381-389.

* Watzke, A.B., Schmidt, C.O., Zimmermann, J., & Preuss, U.W. (2008). Personality disorders in a clinical sample of cannabis dependent young adults. Fortschritte der Neurologie-Psychiatrie 76, 600-605.

* Zullino, D.F., Waber, L. & Khazaal, Y. (2008). Cannabis and the course of schizophrenia.

The American Journal of Psychiatry 165, 1357-1358.

* Zvolensky, M.J., Lewinsohn, P., Bernstein, A., Schmidt, N.B., Buckner, J.D., Seeley, J., & Bonn-Miller, M.O. (2008). Prospective associations between cannabis use, abuse, and dependence and panic attacks and disorder. Journal of Psychiatric Research 42, 1017-1023.

=================

Publications bulletin - September 2008

* Barkus, E. & Lewis, S. (2008). Schizotypy and psychosis-like experiences from recreational cannabis in a non-clinical sample. Psychological Medicine 38, 1267-1276.

* Benyamina, A., Lecacheux, M., Blecha, L., Reynaud, M., & Lukasiewicz, M. (2008). Pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in cannabis withdrawal and dependence. Expert Reviews Neurotherapeutics 8, 479-491.

* Crano, W.D., Siegel, J.T., Alvaro, E.M., Lac, A., & Hemovich, V. (2008). The at-risk adolescent marijuana nonuser: Expanding the standard distinction. Prevention Science 9, 129-137.

* Dawes, M.A., Richard, D.M., Mathias, C.W., & Dougherty, D.M. (2008). Prospective study of cannabis withdrawal in cannabis-using adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 47, 1095-1096.

* Fisk, J. & Montgomery, C. (2008). Real-world memory and executive processes in cannabis users and non-users. Journal of Psychopharmacology 22, 727-736.

* Hampson, S.E., Andrews, J.A. & Barckley, M. (2008). Childhood predictors of adolescent marijuana use: Early sensation-seeking, deviant peer affiliation, and social images. Addictive Behaviours 33, 1140-1147.

* Harder, V.S., Stuart, E.A. & Anthony, J.C. (2008). Adolescent cannabis problems and young adult depression: Male-female stratified propensity score analyses. American Journal of Epidemiology 168, 592-601.

* Hayatbakhsh, M.R., Mamun, A.A., Najman, J.M., O'Callaghan, M.J., Bor, W., & Alati, R. (2008). Early childhood predictors of early substance use and substance use disorders: Prospective study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 42, 720-731.

* Hayatbakhsh, M.R., O'Callaghan, M.J., Jamrozik, K., Najman, J.M., Mamun, A.A., Alati, R., & Bor, W. (2008). The association between school performance at 14 years and young adults' use of cannabis: An Australian birth cohort study. Journal of Drug Issues 38, 401-418.

* Howard, C. (2008). Application of new DNA markers for forensic examination of cannabis sativa seizures: Developmental validation of protocols and a genetic database. NDLERF Monograph Series No. 29. Hobart: National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund.

* Hughes, J.R., Peters, E.N., Callas, P.W., Budney, A.J., & Livingston, A.E. (2008). Attempts to stop or reduce marijuana use in non-treatment seekers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 97, 180-184.

* Johnson, B.D., Ream, G.L., Dunlap, E., & Sifaneck, S.J. (2008). Civic norms and etiquettes regarding marijuana use in public settings in New York City. Substance Use and Misuse 43, 895-918.

* Kirkham, T. (2008). Endocannabinoids and the neurochemistry of gluttony. Journal of Neuroendocrinology 20, 1099-1100.

* Klein, A. (2008). Cannabis reclassification: A modest plea for a coherent justification. (Editorial). Drugs and Alcohol Today 8, 2-5.

* Konings, M., Henquet, C., Maharajh, H.D., Hutchinson, G., & Van Os, J. (2008). Early exposure to cannabis and risk for psychosis in young adolescents in Trinidad. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 118, 209-213.

* Korhonen, T., Huizink, A.C., Dick, D.M., Pulkkinen, L., Rose, R.J., & Kaprio, J. (2008). Role of individual, peer and family factors in the use of cannabis and other illicit drugs: A longitudinal analysis among Finnish adolescent twins. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 97, 33-43.

* Legleye, S., Ben Lakhdar, C. & Spilka, S. (2008). Two ways of estimating the euro value of the illicit market for cannabis in France. Drug and Alcohol Review 27, 466-472.

* Losoya, S.H., Knight, G.P., Chassin, L., Little, M., Vargas-Chanes, D., Mauricio, A., & Piquero, A. (2008). Trajectories of acculturation and enculturation in relation to heavy episodic drinking and marijuana use in a sample of Mexican American serious juvenile offenders. Journal of Drug Issues 38, 171-198.

* Mariani, J.J., Horey, J., Bisaga, A., Aharonovich, E., Raby, W., Cheng, W.Y., Nunes, E., & Levin, F.R. (2008). Antisocial behavioural syndromes in cocaine and cannabis dependence. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 34, 405-414.

* Marie, D., Fergusson, D.M. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Links between ethnic identification, cannabis use and dependence, and life outcomes in a New Zealand birth cohort. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 42, 780-788.

* Mata, I., Rodríguez-Sánchez, J.M., Pelayo-Terán, J.M., Pérez-Iglesias, R., González-Blanch, C., Ramírez-Bonilla, M., Martínez-García, O., Vázquez-Barquero, J.L., & Crespo-Facorro, B. (2008). Cannabis abuse is associated with decision-making impairment among first-episode patients with schizophrenia-spectrum psychosis. Psychological Medicine 38, 1257-1266.

* Milin, R., Manion, I. & Walker, S. (2008). Prospective study of cannabis withdrawal in cannabis-using adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 47, 1096.

* Montisci, M., Thiene, G., Ferrara, S.D., & Basso, C. (2008). Cannabis and cocaine: A lethal cocktail triggering coronary sudden death. Cardiovascular Pathology 17, 344-346.

* Noller, G. (2008). High in the saddle: Cannabis-affected driving. Matters of Substance 18, 20-21.

* Perkonigg, A., Goodwin, R.D., Behrendt, S., Beesdo, K., Lieb, R., & Wittchen, H.U. (2008). Cannabis use - do we have solutions? A reply to Macleod. Addiction 103, 1575.

* Rhodes, W.A., Peters, R.J. Jr., Perrino, C.S., & Bryant, S. (2008). Substance use problems reported by historically Black college students: Combined marijuana and alcohol use versus alcohol alone. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 40, 201-205.

* Sewell, R.A., Cohn, A.J. & Chawarski, M.C. (2008). Doubts about the role of cannabis in causing lung cancer. The European Respiratory Journal 32, 815-816.

* Stirling, J., Barkus, E.J., Nabosi, L., Irshad, S., Roemer, G., Schreudergoidheijt, B., & Lewis, S. (2008). Cannabis-induced psychotic-like experiences are predicted by high schizotypy. Confirmation of preliminary results in a large cohort. Psychopathology 41, 371-378.

* Swan, M., Schwartz, S., Berg, B., Walker, D., Stephens, R., & Roffman, R. (2008). The teen marijuana check-up: An in-school protocol for eliciting voluntary self-assessment of marijuana use. Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 8, 284-302.

* Swift, W., Coffey, C., Carlin, J.B., Degenhardt, L., & Patton, G. (2008). Adolescent cannabis users at 24 years: Trajectories of ongoing and problematic use. Addiction 103, 1361-1370.

* Toennes, S.W., Ramaekers, J.G., Theunissen, E.L., Moeller, M.R., & Kauert, G.F. (2008). Comparison of cannabinoid pharmacokinetic properties in occasional and heavy users smoking a marijuana or placebo joint. Journal of Analytical Toxicology 32, 470-477.

* Veling, W., Mackenbach, J.P., van Os, J., & Hoek, H.W. (2008). Cannabis use and genetic predisposition for schizophrenia: A case-control study. Psychological Medicine 38, 1251-1256.

* Walley, A.Y., Krupitsky, E.M., Cheng, D.M., Raj, A., Edwards, E.M., Bridden, C., Egorova, V.Y., Zvartau, E.E., Woody, G.E., & Samet, J.H. (2008). Implications of cannabis use and heavy alcohol use on HIV drug risk behaviours in Russian heroin users. AIDS and Behaviour 12, 662-669.

* Xian, H., Scherrer, J.F., Grant, J.D., Eisen, S.A., True, W.R., Jacob, T., & Bucholz, K.K. (2008). Genetic and environmental contributions to nicotine, alcohol and cannabis dependence in male twins. Addiction 103, 1391-1398.

====================

Publications bulletin - August 2008

* Campos, A.C. & Guimarães, F.S. (2008). Involvement of 5HT1A receptors in the anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol injected into the dorsolateral periaqueductal gray of rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 199, 223-230.

* Comelli, F., Giagnoni, G., Bettoni, I., Colleoni, M., & Costa, B. (2008). Antihyperalgesic effect of a Cannabis sativa extract in a rat model of neuropathic pain: Mechanisms involved. Phytotherapy Research 22, 1017- 1024.

* Costain, W.F. (2008). The effects of cannabis abuse on the symptoms of schizophrenia: Patient perspectives. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 17, 227-235.

* de Filippis, D., Iuvone, T., d'Amico, A., Esposito, G., Steardo, L., Herman, A.G., Pelckmans, P.A., de Winter, B.Y., & de Man, J.G. (2008). Effect of cannabidiol on sepsis-induced motility disturbances in mice: Involvement of CB receptors and fatty acid amide hydrolase. Neurogastroenterology and Motility 20, 919-927.

* Dorard, G., Berthoz, S., Phan, O., Corcos, M., & Bungener, C. (2008). Affect dysregulation in cannabis abusers : A study in adolescents and young adults. European Child Adolescent Psychiatry 17, 274-282.

* Dwivedi, S., Kumar, V. & Aggarwal, A. (2008). Cannabis smoking and acute coronary syndrome: Two illustrative cases. International Journal of Cardiology 128, 54-57.

* Grauwiler, S.B., Drewe, J. & Scholer, A. (2008). Sensitivity and specificity of urinary cannabinoid detection with two immunoassays after controlled oral administration of cannabinoids to humans. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 30, 530-535.

* Lavender, J.M., Looby, A. & Earleywine, M. (2008). A brief cannabis-associated problems questionnaire with less potential for bias. Human Psychopharmacology 23, 487-493.

* Mason, O.J., Morgan, C.J., Stefanovic, A., & Curran, H.V. (2008). The Psychotomimetic States Inventory (PSI): Measuring psychotic-type experiences from ketamine and cannabis. Schizophrenia Research 103, 138-142.

* Murray, R.M., Lappin, J. & Di Forti, M. (2008). Schizophrenia: From developmental deviance to dopamine dysregulation. European Neuropsychopharmacology 18, Suppl 3, S129-134.

* Roser, P., Juckel, G., Rentzsch, J., Nadulski, T., Gallinat, J., & Stadelmann, A.M. (2008). Effects of acute oral Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and standardized cannabis extract on the auditory P300 event-related potential in healthy volunteers. European Neuropsychopharmacology 18, 569-577.

* Sneider, J.T., Pope, H.G. Jr., Silveri, M.M., Simpson, N.S., Gruber, S.A., & Yurgelun-Todd, D.A. (2008). Differences in regional blood volume during a 28-day period of abstinence in chronic cannabis smokers. European Neuropsychopharmacology 18, 612-619.

* Van Dam, N.T., Earleywine, M. & DiGiacomo, G. (2008). Polydrug use, cannabis, and psychosis-like symptoms. Human Psychopharmacology 23, 475-485.

====================

Publications bulletin - July 2008

* Agrawal, A. & Lynskey, M.T. (2008). Are there genetic influences on addiction: Evidence from family, adoption and twin studies. Addiction 103, 1069-1081.

* Arnett, P.A. (2008). Cannabis bliss?: Perhaps not? Neurology 71, 160-161.

* Blanco, C., Ogburn, E., Pérez de Los Cobos, J., Lujan, J., Nunes, E.V., Grant, B., Liu, S.M., & Hasin, D.S. (2008). DSM-IV criteria-based clinical subtypes of cannabis use disorders: Results from the National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). Drug and Alcohol Dependence 96, 136-144.

* Capasso, R., Borrelli, F., Aviello, G., Romano, B., Scalisi, C., Capasso, F., & Izzo, A.A. (2008). Cannabidiol, extracted from cannabis sativa, selectively inhibits inflammatory hypermotility in mice. British Journal of Pharmacology 154, 1001-1008.

* Cappelli, F., Lazzeri, C., Gensini, G.F., & Valente, S. (2008). Cannabis: A trigger for acute myocardial infarction? A case report. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine 9, 725-728.

* Clough, A.R., Kim San Lee, K. & Conigrave, K.M. (2008). Promising performance of a juvenile justice diversion programme in remote Aboriginal communities, Northern Territory, Australia. Drug Alcohol Review 27, 433-438.

* Degenhardt, L., Chiu, W.T., Sampson, N., Kessler, R.C., Anthony, J.C., Angermeyer, M., Bruffaerts, R., de Girolamo, G., Gureje, O., Huang, Y., Karam, A., Kostyuchenko, S., Lepine, J.P., Mora, M.E., Neumark, Y., Ormel, J.H., Pinto-Meza, A., Posada-Villa, J., Stein, D.J., Takeshima, T., & Wells, J.E. (2008). Toward a Global View of Alcohol, Tobacco, Cannabis, and Cocaine Use: Findings from the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. PLoS Medicine 5, 141.

* D'Souza, D. C., Braley, G., Blaise, R., Vendetti, M., Oliver, S., Pittman, B., Ranganathan, M., Bhakta, S., Zimolo, Z., Cooper, T., & Perry, E. (2008). Effects of haloperidol on the behavioral, subjective, cognitive, motor, and neuroendocrine effects of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in humans. Psychopharmacology 198, 587-603.

* Edwards, C.R., Skosnik, P.D., Steinmetz, A.B., Vollmer, J.M., O'Donnell, B.F., & Hetrick, W.P. (2008). Assessment of forebrain-dependent trace eyeblink conditioning in chronic cannabis users. Neuroscience Letters 439, 264-268.

* Eggan, S.M., Hashimoto, T. & Lewis, D.A. (2008). Reduced cortical cannabinoid 1 receptor messenger RNA and protein expression in schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry 65, 772-784.

* Fergusson, D.M., Boden, J.M. & Horwood, L.J. (2008). The developmental antecedents of illicit drug use: Evidence from a 25-year longitudinal study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 96, 165-177.

* Fergusson, D.M., Horwood, L.J. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Is driving under the influence of cannabis becoming a greater risk to driver safety than drink driving? Findings from a longitudinal study. Accident; Analysis and Prevention 40, 1345-1350.

* Gertsch, J., Leonti, M., Raduner, S., Racz, I., Chen, J.Z., Xie, X.Q., Altmann, K.H., Karsak, M., & Zimmer, A. (2008). Beta-caryophyllene is a dietary cannabinoid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105, 9099-9104.

* Ghaffar, O. & Feinstein, A. (2008). Multiple sclerosis and cannabis: A cognitive and psychiatric study. Neurology 71, 164-169.

* Kraft, B., Frickey, N.A., Kaufmann, R.M., Reif, M., Frey, R., Gustorff, B., & Kress, H.G. (2008). Lack of analgesia by oral standardized cannabis extract on acute inflammatory pain and hyperalgesia in volunteers. Anesthesiology 109, 101-110.

* Hosking, R.D. & Zajicek, J.P. (2008). Therapeutic potential of cannabis in pain medicine. British Journal of Anaesthesia 101, 59-68.

* Korhonen, T., Huizink, A.C., Dick, D.M., Pulkkinen, L., Rose, R.J., & Kaprio, J. (2008). Role of individual, peer and family factors in the use of cannabis and other illicit drugs: A longitudinal analysis among Finnish adolescent twins. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 97, 33-43.

* Lim, M.S., Hellard, M.E., Hocking, J.S., & Aitken, C.K. (2008). A cross-sectional survey of young people attending a music festival: Associations between drug use and musical preference. Drug and Alcohol Review 27, 439-441.

* Merzouki, A., Molero Mesa, J., Louktibi, A., Kadiri, M., & Urbano, G.V. (2008). Assessing changes in pupillary size in Rifian smokers of kif (cannabis sativa L.). Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 15, 335-338.

* McHale, S. & Hunt, N. (2008). Executive function deficits in short-term abstinent cannabis users. Human Psychopharmacology 23, 409-415.

* McLaren, J., Swift, W., Dillon, P., & Allsop, S. (2008). Cannabis potency and contamination: A review of the literature. Addiction 103, 1100-1109.

* Müller-Vahl, K.R. & Emrich, H.M. (2008). Cannabis and schizophrenia: Towards a cannabinoid hypothesis of schizophrenia. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics 8, 1037-1048.

* Rathbone, J., Variend, H. & Mehta, H. (2008). Cannabis and schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 3.

* Reece, A.S. (2008). Cannabis and lung cancer. The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal of the European Society for Clinical Respiratory Physiology 32, 238-239.

* Riley, K.J., Rieckmann, T. & McCarty, D. (2008). Implementation of MET/CBT 5 for adolescents. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research 35, 304-314.

* Ríos-Bedoya, C.F., Wilcox, H.C., Piazza, M., & Anthony, J.C. (2008). Children taking risks: The association with cocaine and other drug use by young adulthood. Addictive Behaviour 33, 1154-1161.

* Roser, P., Juckel, G., Rentzsch, J., Nadulski, T., Gallinat, J., & Stadelmann, A.M. (2008). Effects of acute oral Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and standardized cannabis extract on the auditory P300 event-related potential in healthy volunteers. European Neuropsychopharmacology : The Journal of the European College 18, 569-577.

* Skosnik, P.D., Edwards, C.R., O'Donnell, B.F., Steffen, A., Steinmetz, J.E., & Hetrick, W.P. (2008). Cannabis use disrupts eyeblink conditioning: Evidence for cannabinoid modulation of cerebellar-dependent learning. Neuropsychopharmacology 33, 2045.

* Smye, V.L. (2008). Review: Use of cannabis is associated with increased risk of psychotic outcomes later in life. Evidence-based Nursing 11, 90.

* Sneider, J.T., Pope, H.G. Jr., Silveri, M.M., Simpson, N.S., Gruber, S.A., & Yurgelun-Todd, D.A. (2008). Differences in regional blood volume during a 28-day period of abstinence in chronic cannabis smokers. European Neuropsychopharmacology : the Journal of the European College 18, 612-619.

* Titus, J.C., Schiller, J.A. & Guthmann, D. (2008). Characteristics of youths with hearing loss admitted to substance abuse treatment. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 13, 336-350.

* Walley, A.Y., Krupitsky, E.M., Cheng, D.M., Raj, A., Edwards, E.M., Bridden, C., Egorova, V.Y., Zvartau, E.E., Woody, G.E., & Samet, J.H. (2008). Implications of cannabis use and heavy alcohol use on HIV drug risk behaviors in Russian heroin users. AIDS and Behaviour 12, 662-669.

====================

Publications bulletin - June 2008

* Agrawal, A., Pergadia, M.L. & Lynskey, M.T. (2008). Is there evidence for symptoms of cannabis withdrawal in the national epidemiologic survey of alcohol and related conditions? American Journal on the Addictions 17, 199-208.

* Balayssac, D, Zangarelli, A, & Authier, N. (2008). Association of cannabis smoking and periodontal disease. Journal of the American Medical Association 299, 2273; author reply 2273-2274.

* Cohen, M., Solowij, N. & Carr, V. (2008). Cannabis, cannabinoids and schizophrenia: Integration of the evidence. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 42, 357-368.

* Deutsch, S.I., Rosse, R.B., Connor, J.M., Burket, J.A., Murphy, M.E., & Fox, F.J. (2008). Current status of cannabis treatment of multiple sclerosis with an illustrative case presentation of a patient with MS, complex vocal tics, paroxysmal dystonia, and marijuana dependence treated with dronabinol. CNS Spectrums 13, 393-403.

* Duncan, A.E., Sartor, C.E., Scherrer, J.F., Grant, J.D., Heath, A.C., Nelson, E.C., Jacob, T., & Keenan Bucholz, K. (2008). The association between cannabis abuse and dependence and childhood physical and sexual abuse: Evidence from an offspring of twins design. Addiction 103, 990-997.

* Dyer, O. (2008). Government tightens rules on cannabis despite recommendation not to do so. British Medical Journal 17, 1095.

* Fergusson, D.M. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Cannabis use and later life outcomes. Addiction 103, 969-976.

* Lee, K.S., Clough, A.R., Jaragba, M.J., Conigrave, K.M., & Patton, G.C. (2008). Heavy cannabis use and depressive symptoms in three Aboriginal communities in Arnhem Land, Northern Territory. Medical Journal of Australia 188, 605-608.

* Leweke, F.M. & Koethe, D. (2008). Cannabis and psychiatric disorders: It is not only addiction. Addiction Biology 13, 264-275.

* Pertwee, R.G. (2008). Ligands that target cannabinoid receptors in the brain: From THC to anandamide and beyond. Addiction Biology 13, 147-159.

* Schneider, M. (2008). Puberty as a highly vulnerable developmental period for the consequences of cannabis exposure. Addiction Biology 13, 253-263.

* Van Beurden, E.K., Zask, A., Passey, M., & Kia, A.M. (2008). The Mull Hypothesis: Is cannabis use contributing to high tobacco use prevalence among young North Coast males? NSW Public Health Bulletin 19, 72-74.

* Veling, W, Mackenbach, JP, van Os, J, & Hoek, HW. (2008). Cannabis use and genetic predisposition for schizophrenia: A case-control study. Psychological Medicine 38, 1251-1256.

* Walden, N. & Earleywine, M. (2008). How high? Quantity as a predictor of cannabis-related problems. Harm Reduction Journal 5, 20.

* Yücel, M., Solowij, N., Respondek, C., Whittle, S., Fornito, A., Pantelis, C., & Lubman, D.I. (2008). Long-term cannabis use and regional brain abnormalities. Archives of General Psychiatry 65, 694-701.

========================

Publications bulletin - April/May 2008

* Bertolin-Guillen, J.M., L pez-Arquero, J. & Mart nez-Franco, L. (2008). Cannabis- induced mania? Journal of Substance Use 13, 139-141.

* Chung, T., Martin, C.S., Cornelius, J.R., & Clark, D.B. (2008). Cannabis withdrawal predicts severity of cannabis involvement at 1-year follow-up among treated adolescents. Addiction 103, 787–799.

* Hall, W. (2008). The contribution of research to the development of a national cannabis policy in Australia. Addiction 103, 712–720.

* Litt, M.D., Kadden, R.M., Kabela- Cormier, E., & Petry, N.M. (2008). Coping skills training and contingency management treatments for marijuana dependence: Exploring mechanisms of behavior change. Addiction 103, 638–648.

* Lucas, P. G. (2008). Regulating compassion: An overview of Canada’s federal medical cannabis policy and practice. Harm Reduction Journal 5, 5.

* Martin, G. & Copeland, J. (2008). The adolescent cannabis check-up: Randomized trial of a brief intervention for young cannabis users. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 34, 407-14.

* Ream, G.L., Benoit, E., Johnson, B.D., & Dunlap, E. (2008). Smoking tobacco along with marijuana increases symptoms of cannabis dependence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 95, 199-208.

* Trezza, V., Cuomo, V. & Vanderschuren, L.J. (2008). Cannabis and the developing brain: Insights from behavior. European Journal of Pharmacology 585, 441-452.

========================

Publications bulletin - March/April 2008

* Agrawal, A., Madden, P.A., Bucholz, K.K., Heath, A.C., & Lynskey, M.T. (2008). Transitions to regular smoking and to nicotine dependence in women using cannabis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 95, 107-114.

* Arboleda-Flórez, J. (2008). Forum: Decriminalization versus criminalization of cannabis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 128-130.

* Benyamina, A., Lecacheux, M., Blecha, L., Reynaud, M., & Lukasiewcz, M. (2008). Pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in cannabis withdrawal and dependence. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics 8, 479-491.

* DeLisi, L.E. (2008). The effect of cannabis on the brain: Can it cause brain anomalies that lead to increased risk for schizophrenia? Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 140-50.

* El-Guebaly, N. (2008). Forum: For a balanced and integrated legislated control of cannabis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 116-121.

* Fergusson, D.M. & Boden, J.M. (2008). Cannabis use and adult ADHD symptoms. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 95, 90-96.

* Gawad, T.M. (2008). Forum: Decriminalization versus criminalization of cannabis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 130.

* Gaziano JM. (2008). Marijuana use among those at risk for cardiovascular events. American Heart Journal 155, 395-396.

* Hayatbakhsh, M.R., McGee, T.R., Bor, W., Najman, J.M., Jamrozik, K., & Mamun, A.A. (2008). Child and adolescent externalizing behavior and cannabis use disorders in early adulthood: an Australian prospective birth cohort study. Addictive Behaviors 33, 422-438.

* Litt, M.D., Kadden, R.M., Kabela-Cormier, E., & Petry, N.M. (2008). Coping skills training and contingency management treatments for marijuana dependence: exploring mechanisms of behavior change. Addiction 103, 638-648.

* Morgan, C.J. & Curran, H.V. (2008). Effects of cannabidiol on schizophrenia-like symptoms in people who use cannabis. British Journal of Psychiatry 192, 306-307.

* Mukamal, K.J., Maclure, M., Muller, J.E., & Mittleman, M.A. (2008). An exploratory prospective study of marijuana use and mortality following acute myocardial infarction. American Heart Journal 155, 465-70.

* Ndetei, D.M., Arboleda-Flórez, J. & Gawad, T. (2008). Forum: Decriminalization versus criminalization of cannabis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 127-128.

* Okasha, A. (2008). Introduction to the forum: Is cannabis consumption a lifestyle or brain disease? Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 114-115.

* Schierenbeck, T., Riemann, D., Berger, M., & Hornyak, M. (2008). Effect of illicit recreational drugs upon sleep: cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana. Sleep Medicine Reviews, doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2007.12.004.

* van den Brink, W. (2008). Forum: Decriminalization of cannabis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 21, 122-126.

=====================

Publications bulletin - February/March 2008

* Aldington S, Harwood M, Cox B, Weatherall M, Beckert L, Hansell A, Pritchard A, Robinson G, Beasley R; Cannabis and Respiratory Disease Research Group. (2008). Cannabis use and cancer of the head and neck: Case-control study. Archives of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery 138, 374-80.

* Caldeira, K.M., Arria, A.M., O'Grady, K.E., Vincent, K.B., & Wish, E.D. (2008). The occurrence of cannabis use disorders and other cannabis-related problems among first-year college students. Addictive Behaviors 33, 397-411.

* Cole, J.C., Goudie, A.J., Field, M., Loverseed, A., Charlton, S., & Sumnall, H.R. (2008). The effects of perceived quality on the behavioural economics of alcohol, amphetamine, cannabis, cocaine, and ecstasy purchases. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 94, 183-190.

* Jones, A.W., Holmgren, A. & Kugelberg, F.C. (2008). Driving under the influence of cannabis: a 10-year study of age and gender differences in the concentrations of tetrahydrocannabinol in blood. Addiction 103, 452-461.

* Macleod, J. (2008). The natural history of cannabis use by young people and the implications of this for health (Commentary). Addiction 103, 450-51.

* Martins, S.S., Storr, C.L., Alexandre, P.K., & Chilcoat, H.D. (2008). Do adolescent ecstasy users have different attitudes towards drugs when compared to marijuana users? Drug and Alcohol Dependence 94, 63-72.

* Milin R, Manion I, Dare G, Walker S. (2008). Prospective assessment of cannabis withdrawal in adolescents with cannabis dependence: a pilot study. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 47, 174-8.

* Perkonigg, A., Goodwin, R.D., Fiedler, A., Behrendt, S., Beesdo, K., Lieb, R., & Wittchen, H. (2008). The natural course of cannabis use, abuse and dependence during the first decades of life. Addiction 103, 439-449.

* Senior, K. & Chenhall, R. (2008). Lukumbat marawana: A changing pattern of drug use by youth in a remote Aboriginal community. Australian Journal of Rural Health 16, 75-79.

* Tirado, C.F., Goldman, M., Lynch, K., Kampman, K.M., & O'Brien, C.P. (2008). Atomoxetine for treatment of marijuana dependence: A report on the efficacy and high incidence of gastrointestinal adverse events in a pilot study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 94, 254-257.

* Vann, R.E., Gamage, T.F., Warner, J.A., Marshall, E.M., Taylor, N.L., Martin, B.R., & Wiley, J.L. (2008). Divergent effects of cannabidiol on the discriminative stimulus and place conditioning effects of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 94, 191-198.

=======================

Publications bulletin - January/February 2008

* Aldington, S., Harwood, M., Cox, B., Weatherall, M., Beckert, L., Hansell, A., Pritchard, A., Robinson, G., & Beasley, R. on behalf of the Cannabis and Respiratory Disease Research Group. (2008). Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: A case-control study. European Respiratory Journal 31, 280-286.

* Brambilla, C. & Colonna, M. (2008). Cannabis: The next villain on the lung cancer battlefield? European Respiratory Journal 31, 2227-228.

* Hii, S.W., Tam, J.D.C., Thompson, B.R., & Naughton, M.T. (2008). Bullous lung disease due to marijuana. Respirology 13, 122-127.

* Ishida, J.H., Peters, M.G., Jin, C., Louie, K., Tan, V., Bacchetti, P., & Terrault, N. (2008). Influence if cannabis use on severity of hepatitis C disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 6, 69-75.

* Sarfaraz, S., Adhami, V.M., Syed, D.N., Afaq, F., & Mukhtar, H. (2008). Cannabinoids for Cancer Treatment: Progress and Promise. Cancer Research 68, 339-342.

* Thomson, M.W., Poulton, R., Broadbent, J.M., Moffitt, T.E., Caspi, A., Beck, J.D., Welch, D., & Hancox, R.J. (2008). Cannabis smoking and periodontal disease among young adults. Journal of the American Medical Association 299, 525-531.

=====================

Publications bulletin - December 2007/January 2008

* Aldington, S., Williams, M., Nowitz, M., Weatherall, M., Pritchard, A., McNaughton, A., Robinson, G., & Beasley, R. (2007). Effects of cannabis on pulmonary structure, function and symptoms. Thorax 62, 1058-1063.

* Degenhardt, L., Coffey, C., Carlin, J.B., Swift, W., & Patton, G.C. (2008). Are diagnostic orphans at risk of developing cannabis abuse or dependence? Four-year follow-up of young adult cannabis users not meeting diagnostic criteria. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 92, 86-90.

* Lange, P. (2007). Cannabis and the lung. Thorax 62, 1036 - 1037.

* Liccardo Pacula, R., Ringel, J., Dobkin, C., & Truong, K. (2008). The incremental inpatient costs associated with marijuana comorbidity. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 92, 248-257.

* Moir, D., Rickert, W.S., Levasseur, G., Larose, Y., Maertens, R., White, P., & Desjardins, S. (2007). A comparison of mainstream and sidestream marijuana and tobacco cigarette smoke produced under two machine smoking conditions. Chemical Research in Toxicology 10.1021/tx700275p.

* Ramer, R. & Hinz, B. (2007). Inhibition of cancer cell invasion by cannabinoids via increased expression of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-1. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 100, 59-69

* Vandrey, R.G., Budney, A.J., Hughes, J.R., & Liguori, A. (2008). A within-subject comparison of withdrawal symptoms during abstinence from cannabis, tobacco, and both substances. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 92, 239-247.

* Winters, K.C. & Lee, C.S. (2008). Likelihood of developing an alcohol and cannabis use disorder during youth: Association with recent use and age. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 92, 239-247.

==========================

Publications bulletin - November/December 2007

* Degenhardt, L., Cheng, H. & Anthony, J.C. (2007). Assessing cannabis dependence in community surveys: Methodological issues. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research 16, 43-51.

* Degenhardt, L., Hall, W., Roxburgh, A., & Mattick, R.P. (2007). UK classification of cannabis: is a change needed and why? The Lancet 370, 1541.

* Grotenhermen, F., Leson, G., Berghaus, G., Drummer, O.H., Krüger, H., Longo, M., Moskowitz, H., Perrine, B., Ramaekers, J.G., Smiley, A., & Tunbridge, R. (2007). Developing limits for driving under cannabis. Addiction 102, 1910-1917.

* Hall, W. & Homel, R. (2007). Developing limits for driving under cannabis: Is there sufficient evidence for drug testing for drivers (Commentary). Addiction 102, 1918-1919.

* Homish, G.G., Leonard, K.E. & Cornelius, J.R. (2007). Predictors of marijuana use among married couples: The influence of one's spouse. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 91, 121-128.

* Jungerman, F., Andreoni, S. & Laranjeira, R. (2007). Short term impact of same intensity but different duration interventions for cannabis users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 90, 120-127.

* Lee, K.S., Clough, A.R. & Conigrave, K.M. (2007). High levels of cannabis use persist in Aboriginal communities in Arnhem Land, Northern Territory. Medical Journal of Australia 187, 594-595.

* McCarthy, D., Lynch, A., & Pedersen, S. (2007). Driving after use of alcohol and marijuana in college students. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 21, 425-430.

* Shukla, R. & Kelley, M. (2007). Investigating how decisions to use marijuana change over time. Substance Use and Misuse 42, 1401-1425.

* Suris, J.C., Akre, C., Berchtold, A., Jeannin, A., & Michaud, P. (2007) Some go without a cigarette: Characteristics of cannabis users who have never smoked tobacco. Archives of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine 161, 1042-1047.

* Wallace, M., Schulteis, G., Atkinson, J.H., Wolfson, T., Lazzaretto,D., Bentley, H., Gouaux, B., & Abramson, I. (2007). Dose-dependent effects of smoked cannabis on capsaic ininduced pain and hyperalgesia in healthy volunteers. Anesthesiology 107, 785-796.

===================

Fuck me... And they say more research needs to be done :). With this amount of data you would think that there would be more bad news than what they can come up with. The problem is as someone else said, they use words like may/might/possibly/can/some people etc, and they imply things, not say definitevely.

===================

Fuck me... And they say more research needs to be done :) . With this amount of data you would think that there would be more bad news than what they can come up with. The problem is as someone else said, they use words like may/might/possibly/can/some people etc, and they imply things, not say definitevely.

The research they lack is into the individual cannabinoids/chemicals/compounds within the cannabis plant. They have only been able to identify a handful, so without knowing the rest, is why they have to say may/possibly/might etc, as they can't pinpoint what the actual causes are.... then theres the problem thats everyone anatomy/how it interacts is different, and also, the vast difference within the many strains of cannabis out there.

The research is happening.... its just slow :)

Edited by Wrangler556