How would this work?

Guest weekprik

I have seen where several growers have kept the ballast on the floor in the grow room, they get full of all sort of dirt, leaf and moisture, they do become a fire risk when that happens, if you do get one s/h it is a good idea to take the cover off and clean it out before use.

yeah good point, I forgot to mention that when i brought mine i took it apart and checked it,

If you are worried about the possible electromagnetic interference of a fan near your light then stick the fan on the other end of your ducting

YUP totally agree, the ducting should be near the light not the fan.

Just because they say they have had one grow dosn't mean they have.....

I really dont trust people :P specially outta the trading post... nimer was telling me some sus shit about this guy in the trading post, that has tottally turned me off... plus its much nicer having new gear... And I will just be able to afford a this new 600w HPS light :D

I know about my electronics and I will definetly not be keeping my new ballast on the floor and I think I will be cleaning it after every grow just to keep it in prestine (sp?) condition..

So excited about getting new light ::P:

Thanks for all your input dudes!

I think someone has led you astray on this weekprik, sounds like complete rubbish to me.

yeah I thought that at first but thinking about it makes sense, maybe maybe not but I never go for maybes my old saying is "if in doubt throw it out"

The magnetic fields caused by strong magnets, which is how fans are powered, magnetic induction, can interfere with the lights path, not spectrum. To affect the spectrum you would have to actually affect the lights electromagnetic composition, which you cannot do unless you affect the light sources production. The magnets in fans would only very slightly, alter the path of the light in a sort of bend, if you could see it, but it will be compensated for by reflective surfaces and the overall weakness of the source. (It takes a crapload of magnetic power to alter lights' path, comparitively anyway.) And with the amount of light put out from your average HID lamp, as well as the average size of most hood mounted extractor fans, then you won't have anything to worry about.

IMHO. This is just from my general knowledge of physics and astonomy, mind, I don't think anyone's done any controlled experiments into seeing if hood mounted fans affect the spectrum or path of light, but I seriously doubt it would affect spectrum, or even make a noticable difference in light paths....