How would this work?

On the subject of heat extraction, I have a couple of small 10cm fans from my last cupboard lying around, while not fantastic they kept the temps below 32 during summer! As the main intake outtakes! I got these of an old printer silencer box left out during a bulk rubbish collection. Aaaanyway, I've got an Ablite Reflex Shade small, which is the standard one for 400w hps. Does anyone know how to convert one of these shades to mount the fans as open extractors? It doesn't have to be an enclosed air-cooled shade, I just want a little better cooling, is all. If anyone can advise on this, I would be most appreciative indeed.... :P

p.s. nimer, does your hydro shop sell those nova shades by themselves? If all else fails I may look into that, if it's cheap enough of course.... :D

Luke: Got a angle grinder? :D

A dremal would be ideal I think you can get the cheap knock offs for $30 at Bunnings with 100 or so cutting tools

Thanks for that nimer, I'll definetly be getting one on monday! Still wouldn't mind trying my idea tho :P

Does this shop have a website? Wouldn't mind finding out how much without the shade

Guest weekprik

I believe that you dont want a fan near your light as it creates an electro magnetic force that interferes with the spectru, of the light,

If you want to get air away from the light get some ducting and a fan and have the open end of the ducting near the light and the fan on a timer or even better on a thermostat that turns the fan on when the plant starts getting too hot.

Guest weekprik
OH and if your worried about price of lights, grab the trading post theres almost always 400 or 600 HPS second hand for about $100-00 complete, then on ya way home go to a shop and buy a new bulb for about $50-00, so all up your on with $150-00 approx for a new light,

Guest weekprik

I think someone has led you astray on this weekprik, sounds like complete rubbish to me.

yeah I thought that at first but thinking about it makes sense, maybe maybe not but I never go for maybes my old saying is "if in doubt throw it out"

was going to grab one from the trading post, but after speaking to nimer before I don't think I would feel to safe running the light be too paranoid it would cause a fire.... much prefer to buy this one nimer got... Thanks again mate!

How the hell can a used light cause a fire, thats silly talking, as long as it looks fairly new and you buy a new bulb your up already, but thanks for the laugh,

most ads ive read say one grow only etc, and if your buying a new bulb well?? whats the problem, Hey If you buy the light and take it home it a second hand light, so is that going to catch fire???

How the hell can a used light cause a fire, thats silly talking, as long as it looks fairly new and you buy a new bulb your up already, but thanks for the laugh,

most ads ive read say one grow only etc, and if your buying a new bulb well?? whats the problem, Hey If you buy the light and take it home it a second hand light, so is that going to catch fire???

I have seen where several growers have kept the ballast on the floor in the grow room, they get full of all sort of dirt, leaf and moisture, they do become a fire risk when that happens, if you do get one s/h it is a good idea to take the cover off and clean it out before use.

If you are worried about the possible electromagnetic interference of a fan near your light then stick the fan on the other end of your ducting. For those that have not seen the effects of electromagnetic interference just put some unshielded speakers next to your monitor for a few seconds, make sure the monitor has a degauss function though.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif