Need info on marijuana and effects on Severe Depression

MadamePandora

Question

Hi all :yinyang:

my partner has severe and prolonged depression that is not being adequately controlled by conventional pharmaceutical medication. She has been hospitalised because of it for the last 2 months and next week they are beginning shock treatment (Electro-convulsive Therapy), this is kind of the last resort where medication has failed.

I am wondering if anyone here has any information on using marijuana as a treatment for severe depression. I'd be particularly interested in links to reputable studies... if there are any, but if you have anecdotal evidence of it helping you or someone you know I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences.

I smoke it for pain relief and its muscle relaxant properties, but my partner does not smoke it regularly. She has leukemia and one of her doctors has previously recommended it for use with the nausea and muscle cramping side effects of the chemotherapy. (the leukemia is unlikely to be fatal but she will be on oral chemo drugs for the rest of her life so the nausea and cramping will be permanent).

I am at my wits end from arguing with F**king psychiatrists for weeks and I am desperately looking for advice or help with this issue and willing to consider any alternative medication or therapy that people can tell me about.

Yeah alright you were just giving your opinion. Truth is I only come here when I'm out (don't ask me why) which is a I'm probably so short tempered.

Don't worry about me to much a few days I'll be doing a 3200 km trip to nimbin, then I'll drop out of this site and go back to researching astronomy. A far less stressfull hobby, :blink:.

Seriously though sorry and peace

Also having depression which was fairly severe at one point, I used to freak out a bit when I couldn't smoke and would be worried that everything was going to go shitty again while I had no dope but I found the best way to overcome this is to take regular breaks whether they be for a couple of days or a week, the first times you do this it can be pretty horrific but it ends up being very worthwhile. I wish you well in getting off the prozac also when you feel you are ready.

Thankyou for the advise... i'll give that a real shot, it makes sense :blink: