Need info on marijuana and effects on Severe Depression

MadamePandora

Question

Hi all :yinyang:

my partner has severe and prolonged depression that is not being adequately controlled by conventional pharmaceutical medication. She has been hospitalised because of it for the last 2 months and next week they are beginning shock treatment (Electro-convulsive Therapy), this is kind of the last resort where medication has failed.

I am wondering if anyone here has any information on using marijuana as a treatment for severe depression. I'd be particularly interested in links to reputable studies... if there are any, but if you have anecdotal evidence of it helping you or someone you know I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences.

I smoke it for pain relief and its muscle relaxant properties, but my partner does not smoke it regularly. She has leukemia and one of her doctors has previously recommended it for use with the nausea and muscle cramping side effects of the chemotherapy. (the leukemia is unlikely to be fatal but she will be on oral chemo drugs for the rest of her life so the nausea and cramping will be permanent).

I am at my wits end from arguing with F**king psychiatrists for weeks and I am desperately looking for advice or help with this issue and willing to consider any alternative medication or therapy that people can tell me about.

My lil has been through that Electro-convulsive Therapyand IMHO it dont work in the end it fucked her up worse and she ended up with epeleptic fits from it and is now not alloud to drive a car because of it and the fucking pills they have on aint funny.

Cannabis dose help her with her depression along with the pills she has to take when she dident smoke all she would would is lay in bed all day long but since she started to smoke she will now get out and about and life is much easyer for her.

But it my not work with your girl it is only something u can try but on the other hand it could make it worse as well as affects diff ppl diff ways...

Hi MP,

I'm afraid you might not find many peer-reviewed publications regarding the use of cannabis for treatment of depression.

A lot of studies are focused more on how cannabis use will lead to depression.

Cannabis use for treating the side effects of chemotherapy on the other hand, is well documented. Perhaps cannabis use will help with your partner's depression as well?

I have access to electronic journals through the university archives. I'll have a search for some positive studies for you.

I wish your partner a quick return to health.

Cheers

I have access to electronic journals through the university archives. I'll have a search for some positive studies for you.

Cheers

I realise your trying to help but I think you should search for all studies, both positive and negative. MadamPandora needs to make a properly informed decision.

Depression is horrible and I hope she recovers.

A few things worth checking out...

The first is this website. It features the 'personal experiences of people using marijuana for medicinal purposes including depression.

Here is a short essay outlining a few bits and pieces, it can be found here.

Most journal articles require subscriptions fees to access fully, however more often than not you can read the abstract like this one here.

Try searching google with the words 'cannabis treating depression'. I'm sure you'll find enough reading material there to help form some ideas.

Oh, and don't bother arguing with pyschiatrists, they're not real doctors anyway.

Hope I've been helpful.

Cheers.

Edited by ~sawyer~

I realise your trying to help but I think you should search for all studies, both positive and negative. MadamPandora needs to make a properly informed decision.

Depression is horrible and I hope she recovers.

Freddie,

I agree that depression is a horrible condition. My understanding however was that the OP wanted some reputable studies that may be supportive of/ outline the potential for cannabis use in treating depression. I'd be prepared to try anything if my partner was suffering.

:yinyang:

I guess to be responsible one would suggest that It can help , but not for everyone as everyone is different ...

But I would hesitate to suggest that trying it could have a negative effect ... I think the best way to find out is to try it :)

I beleive there have been studies to show Seratonin decreases with Prolonged Cannabis use ... but you really have to wonder about this if you know alot of stoners ;)

I've suffered with depression for many years ... if it weren't for the Cannabis and other drugs I choose to medicate myself with I wonder if I'd be here to talk about it today. I don't feel like it's any easier ... and the ugly thoughts still make themselves thunk daily ... It's not a cure but I have relief , simple but effective relief.

I've noticed after being self sufficient with my Canna-supply for the last 2 years and now running out how much it effects me ... even starting to run out for weeks before makes me worry. Noone in my life really has any idea of the severity of my "disfunction" , and I'm not about to start trying to try and summarize it here (that book will come out later if ever) :/

They (mostly) also have no idea how much Cannabis can help. ;) I figure this would be similar to others experiences also.

I've always thought it suss that they prescribe so much anti-type Pharma drugs to people , many are just going through a "bad patch" and really have no need to start altering their brain juices with these dodgy drugs. The only people I've known that have "gotten over it" so to speak are the ones that have changed the way they think and/or live.

Unfortunatly for others it is a different story and long term depression is the case ... Loss , Illness , presecution ... and other things that cannot be resolved or "fixed" necessarily. These people may well need help , but I don't think that prescribing endless medications or a few Counseller/Psyche appointments properly define the term "help".

As for ECT , omfg! ... they still performing that Barbaric procedure? ... talk about poor treatment , This is dispicable and I recommend swift and immediate action to stop it. lol perfect example of Human Guinea pigs and their sadistic masters :/

Well , I hope I wasn't entirely unconstructive with this post , If I was forgive me ... It's not easy subject to talk about , heheh , I still haven't posted that Anxiety thread although I feel I should ... too anxious , and so much to say ;)

Madame Pandora , I wish you and your partner all the best ... I hope there can be a better outcome than Electrocution ... Try Cannabis , much safer. :D

Take care :sly:

Budman :/

P.s. Moreso than Cannabis , Learning to "know thyself" has helped ... which , funnily enough , I beleive Cannabis helps to learn :D Coping skills , fake it until you make it etc ... all sounds retarted when your in the depths of despair , but there is some truth there aswell ... I guess the theory of most medicos is just that , to releive the depression in order to counsel the mind ... Well Using Cannabis gives you both tools to use yourself imho ... Self-medication and self-healing , self-diagnosing and self-counselling. ;) ... just some added thoughts. Bye Now. :/

P.s.s. Yeh o.k. decided to post this (i delete about half of All my replies I've written due to insecurities) ... my apologies again if any offense is taken ... this is ofc not my intention.

Good Luck.

I've always thought it suss that they prescribe so much anti-type Pharma drugs to people , many are just going through a "bad patch" and really have no need to start altering their brain juices with these dodgy drugs. The only people I've known that have "gotten over it" so to speak are the ones that have changed the way they think and/or live.

Unfortunatly for others it is a different story and long term depression is the case ... Loss , Illness , presecution ... and other things that cannot be resolved or "fixed" necessarily. These people may well need help , but I don't think that prescribing endless medications or a few Counseller/Psyche appointments properly define the term "help".

Mmm doctors give out anti-depressants like they are anti-biotics now. If you go in and say you are down because of work, a relationship, school/study or anything going on in your life then they will just prescribe you it within 5 minutes. I've experienced this 3 times now, with two doctors and a psychologist (who wanted me refered to a doctor for them).

What I don't think they could get through their stupid minds was that my life WAS bad. There were real active things going on that were pulling me down. Sometimes it is natural to feel bad after being abused in some way. And I really believe that sometimes people just need a bit of an escape.

There is relatively no harm in trying cannabis and seeing if it works for you. A lot of research is bias and funded by the people who want to keep it illegal. :yinyang:

Thanks for posting about your experiences Budman, it's hard to speak about sometimes.

Depression truly is a taboo subject to talk about. I know that I've had my share of ups and downs, not too many downs, but I have had some rough patches. I've been prescribed all sorts of medication to 'sort me out' but truth be told I think I was better off without them. I was somewhat paranoid they were placebos anyway. Depression as an illness is not yet fully understood, so a lot of treatment is just still guesswork and diagnosis can be difficult.

I think this is an important topic, there are too many people suffering silently out there without any support or help at all. Different people will respond to different treatments.

Personally using cannabis when I'm down makes me despondent and paranoid, so I don't do it. Now I'm not saying anti-depressants or other more conventional methods don't or won't work either, but it's up to you to trial and decide what works best for YOU.

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much, but it'd be good if we can get some more people involved in this discussion....

Thank you for your contribution budman :yinyang:

I appreciate the fact you chose to post it not delete it.

The ECT these days is done under a general anaesthetic and muscle relaxants are used as well. It isn't the old days of restraints and raw electricity. Despite that I am still frightened and so is my partner. Though there is an 80% success rate of mood improvement in people with severe depression.

I will report back the results of the ECT.