Cannabis Morning Sickness

I thought this might be of interest. Cannabis has been linked to a condition called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome many times, here's an article...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15479672?dopt=Abstract

Cannabinoid hyperemesis: cyclical hyperemesis in association with chronic cannabis abuse.

Allen JH, de Moore GM, Heddle R, Twartz JC.

Department of Medicine, Mt Barker Hospital, South Australia, Australia. giballen@bigpond.com.

BACKGROUND AND AIMS: To explore the association between chronic cannabis abuse and a cyclical vomiting illness that presented in a series of cases in South Australia. METHODS: Nineteen patients were identified with chronic cannabis abuse and a cyclical vomiting illness. For legal and ethical reasons, all patients were counselled to cease all cannabis abuse. Follow up was provided with serial urine drug screen analysis and regular clinical consultation to chart the clinical course. Of the 19 patients, five refused consent and were lost to follow up and five were excluded on the basis of confounders. The remaining nine cases are presented here and compared with a published case of psychogenic vomiting. RESULTS: In all cases, including the published case, chronic cannabis abuse predated the onset of the cyclical vomiting illness. Cessation of cannabis abuse led to cessation of the cyclical vomiting illness in seven cases. Three cases, including the published case, did not abstain and continued to have recurrent episodes of vomiting. Three cases rechallenged themselves after a period of abstinence and suffered a return to illness. Two of these cases abstained again, and became and remain well. The third case did not and remains ill. A novel finding was that nine of the 10 patients, including the previously published case, displayed an abnormal washing behaviour during episodes of active illness. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that chronic cannabis abuse was the cause of the cyclical vomiting illness in all cases, including the previously described case of psychogenic vomiting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18456571

Chepyala P, Olden KW.

Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA.

Cannabis is commonly recognized for its antiemetic properties. However, chronic cannabis use can lead to paroxysmal vomiting. In some patients this vomiting can take on a pattern identical to cyclic vomiting syndrome. Interestingly cyclic vomiting syndrome has been associated with compulsive bathing which patients report can relieve their intense feelings of nausea and lessen their vomiting intensity. We report a case of a patient with chronic cannabis use who developed symptoms similar to cyclic vomiting syndrome who also engaged in compulsive bathing behavior as observed by members of the medical and nursing staff. The patient reported that frequent hot showers would prevent him from vomiting and also relieve his concomitant abdominal pain. Previous hospitalizations at our hospital for the same complaint also noted similar showering behavior. During the hospital stay, the patient agreed to engage in a outpatient drug rehabilitation program which he subsequently completed. Abstinence from cannabis use caused the patients vomiting symptoms and abdominal pain to disappear completely. Likewise, his compulsive showering behavior also ceased. Other investigators have reported similar findings in patients with cyclic vomiting syndrome who initially used cannabis to treat their vomiting episodes but subsequently found that it contributed to their vomiting. Our patient has lead us to conclude that in patients seen for chronic severe vomiting and abdominal pain which has no obvious structural or chemical etiology and which is accompanied by compulsive showering and/or bathing behavior a diagnosis of cyclic vomiting syndrome with concomitant cannabis abuse needs to be considered.

Hope this helps someone!!!

Rainbow :peace:

I recently started smoking choof again. The first time I quit, I was diagnosed with IBS, Irritable bowel syndom, I was waking up and throwing up, my number 2's looked like a kanagroos or rats, lil round balls and I lost 20 kgs from not eating for 2 months. I don't know why I started again, I just like being a stoner. But 3 weeks ago I came down with a gasto flu that has since gone but I am still throwing up. My brother, also a stoner has been throwing up as well, but my boyfriend and my brothers girlfriend haven't been, both stoners. Is this what they are calling Cannabis morning sickness or vomiting from chronic cannabis abuse? I think it's pretty much IBS for stonners. Has anyone else gone through this and is there anyway of getting over it without quitting. I'll be ripping my hair out if I can't smoke, I only smoke 1-2g's on average a day, but don't want to have to put up with the sleepless nights again.

Back smoking choof again eh?

So from not eating for 2 months which you say lost 20kg, a bout of gastro flu, a brother with apparently with the same symptoms, you think you have Cannabis morning sickness? IBS for stoners? wtf? Are you serious? What a strange post?, and once again only one post, with not even the decency to respond to the numerous sensible answers given by the well meaning members of this site either?

What an obnoxious disgusting person you would be to come here and tell the Cannabis Community about the size of your shit. What woman would honestly do that?

I'd call this post BULLSHIT and probably the work of a real troll.

Your not helping by encouraging this crap either RC.

carry on :peace:

My friend vomits fairly regularly in the morning he tells me, usually when smoking way too much.

I used to get terrible stomach cramps etc, though not to the point of vomiting. I remember having an operation where they look inside your gut with a camera but they didnt find anything.

A few ways i've treated it... antacid chewy things, takes that hollow feeling away almost immediately. Milk, does pretty much the same thing if not better. A muesli bar or something as soon as your stomach feels upset. Making yourself eat a little breakfast can also help alot.

lol :D

Edited by gills

I suffer from IBS

if anything smoking helps with the nausea,cramps and helps with bowel movement

I second that. Pot helps your digestive system and unblocks the bowels. I would say what your experiencing is what I go through. Goto your doctor and ask him for a food allergy test. It's technically not possible to be allergic to cannabis, ive never heard of a single case in my life.

I would think it could be additives in the nutes of the plant that you are smoking, probably they sprayed the crop with a nute mixed with bleach. Usually sold under the name liquid light, it works, but not nice.

marijuana is the only thing so far to releive digestive system pain and anyone with an Autoimmune disease

or IBS or IBD would also support it.

I beleive you are experiencing the normal trend, im assuming you get diorreah frequently? if so your body is resetting itself and you will soon be able to shit properly again. Generally if you eat and get a stabbing pain the next morning its a sign that inflammation in your insides have gone down and do not be alarmed by it, if you continue smoking you will see it will pass.