I don't know much about light brands and all...but if your 400w is MH then mixing it with a 600w HPS would be excellent. This is what I am doing currently, and I find the mix in light spectrums seems to increase overall performance of plants. I have had a marked improvement in yiled, but potency is not a big factor. So, if you want chunky buds, mix da lights....

Peace Out

Dirty Deed

the reason to mix the spectrums is MH gives a bigger yield and HPS finishes quicker and is more potent. I got one crop straight HPS and 1 crop straight MH no difference in finishing times between the same strains.

If I was buying lights again I'd probably choose MH.

The Son-T-Agro is a mixed spectrum globe.

Types of HID lights used for growing:

Metal Halide - mostly for veg stage.

High Pressure Sodium – mostly for flowering stage.

Horticultural - HPS/MH veg and flower stages (Son-T-Agro, Son-T-Plus, Lucalox, Lucagrow, etc.).

My plants are grown from seedling/clone to harvest under 430w Son-T-Agro HPS/MH horticultural lights.

Wow, thanks for that. That really helps....I wish I had money for some of those son-t things, but I should be happy with the equip that was donated to my mate and me. I'm no hydro expert, been doing outdoor for most of my grows, but I found transferring my outdoor technique has done wonders for the weed. I seem to grow buds that ppl mistake for outdoor. In the sense that they are more outdoor smelling and have a clean outdoor style high and taste with no dregs. I can't stand how most ppl do their hydro, so I have opted for au natural indoor, and I think more ppl should try it. Have got very good responses and amazed a few hardcore smokers....

Peace Out

Dirty Deed

I can't stand how most ppl do their hydro,

Quite a few hydro growers don't know about flushing their plants properly before harvest, there is no "hydro taste" in mj that has been flushed correctly.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

That is very true....I take flushing very seriously....But I also find that using organic medium for the plants also helps give it a cleaner taste...more earthier yet smooth...Me and my mate use various mediums depending on the type of plant we are growing. We used mainly a rich soil medium for our Jamaicans, while a balanced mixture of perlite and coconut fibre for the Hindu Kush. We usually germinate in rockwool cubes though, as I find this is an easy and quick way to germinate...but mainly just organics....I've only recently started using hydro nutes, but with a large selection donated to us by a kind grower, I think we have found the types of nutes that give it the best taste possible....Also, I gotta admit, sillica solutution(I can't remeber how to spell it) is a great wayto strengthen plants. I'm sure many of you use it already, but damn, I am a believer now. That shit just plants so virile. I can't explain it, just makes em look like plastic plants. Anyhoo....

Peace Out

Dirty Deed

But I also find that using organic medium for the plants also helps give it a cleaner taste...more earthier yet smooth

Yeah, my outdoor is always organic and I like the taste myself, a good way to smooth out hydro is to give it 48 hours of darkness immediately before harvest (I also flush for two weeks).

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

That is very true....I take flushing very seriously....But I also find that using organic medium for the plants also helps give it a cleaner taste...more earthier yet smooth...Me and my mate use various mediums depending on the type of plant we are growing. We used mainly a rich soil medium for our Jamaicans, while a balanced mixture of perlite and coconut fibre for the Hindu Kush. We usually germinate in rockwool cubes though, as I find this is an easy and quick way to germinate...but mainly just organics....I've only recently started using hydro nutes, but with a large selection donated to us by a kind grower, I think we have found the types of nutes that give it the best taste possible....Also, I gotta admit, sillica solutution(I can't remeber how to spell it) is a great wayto strengthen plants. I'm sure many of you use it already, but damn, I am a believer now. That shit just plants so virile. I can't explain it, just makes em look like plastic plants. Anyhoo....

Peace Out

Dirty Deed

makes them look like plastic plants. hehehe.

Its kinda like tits eh, you can use silicon to increase the yield.

I dont like plastic, I'd rather plants that look like plants and tits that look like tits personally. They feed milk to pumpkins and steroids to tomatoes and get some amazing yields, but they can't be eaten.

I have had no probs with using sillica, and only skeptical bloody hippies do. It doesn't make the buds any harsher and just makes them strong...got a problem with that?!??!

Sillica is found naturally in soil medium anyhoo......so adding it to hydro is only replacing what hydro nutes ain't got....