Snakes Alive!

So a question then;

I realise that all native (wild) snakes in aus are protected by fines etc.

If you kill say, a tiger snake, which is deadly poisonous, in your house or yard, isn't that self defence?

My next question is, any you guys want some tiger snakes (rhetorical)

I don't like to kill them of course. Or any critters for that matter.. But you've got to bury a dog if it gets bitten, or hope like hell you can make it to hospital if you do..

hey mullaway.. i tend to agree with oliscot and tyler, you should always avoid killing or getting into a situation where you have to kill a snake.. especially 1 as dangerous as a tiger, you might get yourself bitten instead.. NOW, having said that.. if it comes down to it being either you, your kids, the dog or the snake, of coarse the snake loses but the best thing you could do is call wires or some1 like that to come and remove them for you, its free and they get bit instead of you...:D

tyler makes a good point if you have them on your property regularly that you should do a snake handling coarse, they only go for about 3 days and would be helpful... that way you could safely catch and remove them yourself..

they should move on quickly if they are tigers (beautiful snakes, not real friendly but beautiful) anyway, they dont stay in the same spot for long USUALLY.. it is said that approx 15 days is a long time for a tiger to be in 1 spot unless you have an endless supply of food for them, ( rats and mice and small birds) if so then the easiest way to stop them coming around is to eradicate the rodent problem.. if theres no food they will go where there is some..

but anyway dude, ring wires or a zoo or reptile park depending on where you live and have them come and safely remove them..

in answer to your question though, yes they are protected and you could be fined for killing them but if it is in self defence i dont think any1 would say anything..except if there is a large number youve had to " defend yourself " against. it might be asked why something wasnt done sooner to fix the problem before it got out of hand..

best of luck with it.. i hope no one gets bitten or worse..

by the way, oliscot and tyler, nice pics

and for everyone in general

people if you move back to nature just remember that you will eventually bump into nature, so if thats not your thing move to the city

i pity the crocs with all the dopey tourists getting into the top end these days

couldnt agree more.. but then we get to dine on foriegn cuisine why shouldnt the crocs...:sick

cheers :D

I've never really bothered to take many pics of my animals but I have got a few over the years.

This is a Red Belly Black, its colouration was incredibly vivid, very deep red and jet black.

post-41820-0-68016200-1299337142_thumb.jpg

This was my favourite Green Tree Snake (not to be confused with a Green Tree Python). You can really see the blue phase coming through showing that its a bit pissed off lol

post-41820-0-14830300-1299337155_thumb.jpg

Another pic

post-41820-0-99173400-1299337169_thumb.jpg

Both those snakes were wild and were released. I have had other elapids and colubrids like Eastern Browns, Brown Tree Snake, Marsh Snakes, White Lipped Snakes, Death Adder, and tons of Diamond pythons.

This is one of mine, she's a half Blonde half Platinum Mac. Her parents are an extremely rare high quality bloodline so her colours are really dynamic, the camera didn't really do her colours justice but you kinda get the idea.

post-41820-0-65932800-1299337202_thumb.jpg

And I couldn't find a pic of my Children's Python so I just took this then with my camera phone so please excuse the dodgy quality.

post-41820-0-39846700-1299337221_thumb.jpg

Now was a good time to take a picture of her too because shes out looking for food so was easy to get a half decent shot.

Edited by *Ryno*

Hey guys,

Lovely reptile pictures posted so far, glad to see a few others are keen on snakes.

Thought I'd share a pic of mine, a juvi WA stimson python, shes about 10-11 months old. Trying to convince the missus to let me have a few more :)

post-14091-0-49763900-1296732547_thumb.jpg

Dude nice, I love stimmos. I've never had one but always admired them. They're definitely one of the prettier snakes IMO in the Antaresia genus.

Dude nice, I love stimmos. I've never had one but always admired them. They're definitely one of the prettier snakes IMO in the Antaresia genus.

Thanks Ryno, you got some real nice lookers there too.

I'm hoping to get a nice young SW carpet next.

Cheers,

E.

:bongon:

Edited by Ex.