CATALYST

Folks the CATALYST program on ABC tomorrow night (thursday nt 30th) is doing a segment about whether or not smoking weed can cause psychosis and they say this research has/will finally put an end to the speculation...

I suspect they will just tell us what they have infact said before on previous Catalyst shows when they have done a segment on Cannabis use and that is, heavy use long term isn't good.

I can't get enough of science shows myself but should be interesting anyhow for those that do or do not want to know heh heh :whistle:

:scratchin:

The person they choose to feature in the show had a predisposition to psychotic disorders, started smoking 24/7 from the age of 15 and then one day smoked 3 joints before meeting someone who was late and had a psychotic episode and saw dead bodies in pools of blood all around him.

I think they basically said that if you have a certain 2 genes and smoke marijuana you increase your risk of a psychotic episode 11 fold. But very few people have this section of gene so for the rest it wont send you mad.

they basically said that if you have a certain 2 genes and smoke marijuana you increase your risk of a psychotic episode 11 fold. But very few people have this section of gene so for the rest it wont send you mad.

Excellent, been waiting for this one to rear its head again. Haven't watched the show yet, did they mention anything about a test for these genes?

Kali dope does effect the levels of dopamine in the brain whilst using it...ask any doctor I can assure you this is the case.

But anyway watched the show nothing new there as far as I was concerned the kid abused the stuff and he started smoking heavily from a young age so it comes as no surprise that he flipped out and I don't think he was your normal sociable kid either as he carried a knife on him into the city...so yeh I don't think that is normal behavior for a start.

Further more alcohol can cause dementia an early on set mental problems also and it's legal.If the kid hit the piss hard for years from a young age that probably would have screwed him as well.

So big deal abuse anything and you are sure to pay...whats new

I was expecting something new here. Nothing new at all. The revelation here was the Lancet meta-analysis of cannabis literature from last year! :scratchin: Basically they are saying about 10% of psychotic episodes would not have occurred if cannabis was not used.

Excellent, been waiting for this one to rear its head again. Haven't watched the show yet, did they mention anything about a test for these genes?

Pretty sure they said no test available yet.

I've lost a little respect for another ABC show.

No mention of the Lancet drug rankings either.

Another side to this:

http://web.lemoyne.edu/~hevern/storiedcond...0psychosis.html