have been told just tapping a stick in fornt of you as you walk scares then off as they feel the vibrations threw the flaw... and in turn do the bolt

I've heard that too so recently I've been walking around the bush a little 'heavier' than usual to make more noise/vibration.

My dad and I used to thump around the bushlands a fair bit when I was younger, and that was one of the things I was taught.

Be noisy, walking wise. The snakes feel it through the ground that there is a bigger animal approaching and they, for the most part, tend to slither off to a place that is safe. lol

That's what I've been told anyway....

The stick is a good idea when ya thumping thru the bush or scrub too, not just for banging on the ground but if there's a spiders web in ya path it comes in handy. I don't like spiders. lol

:bongon:

My dad and I used to thump around the bushlands a fair bit when I was younger, and that was one of the things I was taught.

Be noisy, walking wise. The snakes feel it through the ground that there is a bigger animal approaching and they, for the most part, tend to slither off to a place that is safe. lol

The stick is a good idea when ya thumping thru the bush or scrub too, not just for banging on the ground but if there's a spiders web in ya path it comes in handy. I don't like spiders. lol

lol

Just make sure it is bloody long stick. Have done a fair amount of pig hunting around Broken Hill Menindee area only ever came across two snakes one left the area the other one was reared up ready to strike so I left the area. :bongon: lol

:bongon:

Ditto on the spiders........

i was walking thru to my site the opther week for prep with a crowbar (ya know tha 5 foot ones that are quite heavy). hitting the ground every now and then, but from now on ill just be using a stick, also iv ran into a couple of spider webs but there never seems to be any spiders in them? oh well id rather that :bongon:

Hey, great topic!

The best bet is to get a small personal ebirb, and a first aid kit w/pressure bandage.

That way, no matter what happens you can instantly put out a signal for help and be sure somones coming to help, and also help slow the spread of poison.

I seen 2 2nd hand mini epirbs go on ebay over the past two weeks, both of the auctions ended up finishing at less than $60.

Both epirbs were the kti brand, new there $280 or so.

Also, im not sure about you guys but i go exploring in some pretty wild terrain. Having an epirb isnt only usefull for snake bites, it could be a life saver in so many ways:

Broken leg deep in thick bush, spider bites long way from help, boulder you jumped on rolled and you fall in its path (save ya from sawing your arm off), broken neck, big falls, rock slides......

The GF gets worried when i go bush, it gives her piece of mind! If ANYTHING happened, not one person would know where to find me.

GPS and phone is a good idea otherwise.... Until you cant get signal!

snakes are actually more scared of you than you are of them. lol

1. the best thing to do is wear some good high ankle boots(as most snake bites happen when you step near them and startle them and it is a pure defensive strike)

2. be observant and make a fair bit of noise whilst walking it will alert them that you are around.

3. dont poke or throw things as a cornered or threatened snake can actually attack.

4. snakes of different species are out at different times,most during the morning heat,and they tend to find a nice shady spot in the afternoons.so your plot is the perfect place for them to have a nap.

tiger snakes are a little harder as they are out all the time and can be active on a warm night,they don't really hibernate so can be seen during winter as well as summer

snakes are protected and you are in there territory and not the other way round so respect the fact that they don't mind you being there and give them the same in return.

take the time to sit and watch some snakes some day they are a beautiful reptile and generally non aggressive :rolleyes:

Most snakes are looking for cover in the heat of the day and actively hunting dusk and dawn when its a tad cooler and there not burning so much energy. I actively look for snakes and found these times to be your best bet to find one. Snakes rarely attack anything other than food unless provoked or step on. "watch your step were boots". I would be more afraid of a platypus then a snake :rolleyes: