Snakes around this time are looking for 3 things... food, water and warmth... if your patch is in between any of these 3 things then expect to see a few more b4 the season is out

4 things shroomy! ...they're also looking for a shag at this time of year :bongon:

..and where exactly do you wear this container of fish food mate? lol

I really dont know to much about when the ebst time to go to your patches would be as we catch em in out gold fish pond all times of the day during summer... caught 5 tiger snakes last year.. scarey shit when your walking down at night in nothing but 3/4 shorts and a container of fish food

Take care bush growers and remember.. if it's a Brown that bites you, don't waste time with first aid, just start making peace with your god/self.

It's a very rare case that survives an hour and if your lugging your bitten arse back through the bush, you can bet it'll be over much quicker than that lol

4 things shroomy! ...they're also looking for a shag at this time of year lol

lol 67 special actually ya missed the boat on that one the reptile shagging season is well and truly over and any gravid females will be searching for a safe warm humid place to lay there eggs

so yeah another thing watch out for big fat snakes as this is a sign of being gravid (pregnant) and wow do the females get moody around this time sheeesh ya think an emotional pregnant women is bad imagine what a gravid tiger snake or king brown would be like lol oh and watch out for copperheads too

cheerz :bongon:

Take care bush growers and remember.. if it's a Brown that bites you, don't waste time with first aid, just start making peace with your god/self.

It's a very rare case that survives an hour and if your lugging your bitten arse back through the bush, you can bet it'll be over much quicker than that :bongon:

A properly applied pressure bandage can often be the difference between life and death, even with more venomous snakes like a king brown's... A nice tight dressing can buy you up to a few hours.

If your going out alone into the bush, far away from any help, I'd really suggest you invest in a first aid kit with a pressure bandage like Stoney said.. be prepared for anything that could go wrong out there.

Or you could be someone that thinks first aid/ first aid knowledge is a waste of time... get bitten by a nasty snake, and die 20mins later... up to you really...

Edit: If you dont have a first aid kit, and did happen to get a snake bite out bush. You could simply whip of your shirt, and make a simple Tourniquet above the bite site to reduce circulation and spread of the poison... would buy you more time than nothing at all.

Wrangler.

Edited by Wrangler556

A properly applied pressure bandage can often be the difference between life and death, even with more venomous snakes like a king brown's... A nice tight dressing can buy you up to a few hours.

If your going out alone into the bush, far away from any help, I'd really suggest you invest in a first aid kit with a pressure bandage like Stoney said.. be prepared for anything that could go wrong out there.

Or you could be someone that thinks first aid/ first aid knowledge is a waste of time... get bitten by a nasty snake, and die 20mins later... up to you really...

Wrangler.

Yeah it's good advice Wrangler lol

But if I'm hundreds of metres from a car or phone and on my own, how do I drive the 50 odd km's to the nearest under-staffed emergency ward without pumping Old King Browns venom all round my body?

Isn't one of the most important rules of snake-bite first aid to keep calm and still, to slow the movement of the venom?

Out here, the only real point of heading to the hospital or calling the ambo's is in the hope that it wasn't a actually a Brown that bit you lol

Please don't read my comments as opposing first aid training and being prepared for the worst. They're precautions that I take myself.

Walk slow and watch where you put your feet is #1 for me.

67 special actually ya missed the boat on that one the reptile shagging season is well and truly over and any gravid females will be searching for a safe warm humid place to lay there eggs

Oops :bongon: thanks for the correction Stoney lol

I wasn't having a go at you mate, was just a generalised comment. :bongon:

The ideal situation is to keep calm, reduce movement as much as you can, apply a pressure bandage, all designed to reduce circulation of the poison... but hey, if your out alone, are you going to just sit there and slowly drop off, or.... slow the posion down as much as you can and try and high tail it back to a medical facility?

Thanks for the replies everyone... but you're making me nervous now :bongon:. I'm definitely going to be checking my plants less now that the snakes will be coming out more and more as the weather gets hot. Anyway, I guess I'll have to look in to some other ways of keeping the water going without me being there.

but hey, if your out alone, are you going to just sit there and slowly drop off, or.... slow the posion down as much as you can and try and high tail it back to a medical facility?

In truth Wrangler, I'd probably run off crying like a baby and screaming for my mummy lol

..but I think my bush garden is the most peaceful place that I could hope to be when I sign off. It'd be a fitting end I reckon, to become fertiliser for my plants lol

You'll be right Trickee, just take it easy and stay aware. I've survived almost 30 yrs living in the bush and I usually roam barefoot and in shorts and encountered countless snakes. Even had the gut-wrenching mis-fortune of standing on a few the poor buggers :bongon:

A dog can be useful too, as an extra set of eyes, so long as it's smart enough to not play with them lol