I was out in the bush to water my plants today, around lunch time, and saw a snake right near my first patch... so I turned back and went to my others. I know there were probably lots of snakes everywhere I went but actually seeing one made me turn back. So... when is the best time of day to go out walking now that the snakes are around? Evening?

BTW, this snake I saw was sitting right outside a rabbit hole, so they're good for something, keep those rabbits busy. :bongon:

I was out in the bush to water my plants today, around lunch time, and saw a snake right near my first patch... so I turned back and went to my others. I know there were probably lots of snakes everywhere I went but actually seeing one made me turn back. So... when is the best time of day to go out walking now that the snakes are around? Evening?

BTW, this snake I saw was sitting right outside a rabbit hole, so they're good for something, keep those rabbits busy. :bongon:

Snakes around this time are looking for 3 things... food, water and warmth... if your patch is in between any of these 3 things then expect to see a few more b4 the season is out

I really dont know to much about when the ebst time to go to your patches would be as we catch em in out gold fish pond all times of the day during summer... caught 5 tiger snakes last year.. scarey shit when your walking down at night in nothing but 3/4 shorts and a container of fish food

Not much you can do mate,

Most snakes will not attack unless provoked or hurt,ie: trying to kill or capture them. The snake you came across was probably just sun baking as they often do.

Some snakes hunt during the day, some at night, so you can't really pick at specific time to avoid them.

Best bet is to just give it a wide berth, or wait till it leaves..

Edited by Wrangler556

Snakes around this time are looking for 3 things... food, water and warmth... if your patch is in between any of these 3 things then expect to see a few more b4 the season is out

Well I've got all three of those things I guess. :bongon:

This patch I was talking about is next to a creek for water, rabbit holes for food, and of course... sun for warmth.

Good topic to bring up Trickee and welcome to OS!

Ive had may recent encounters with snakes up here in NQ, mostly around creeks. The best advice i can give anyone is to walk slow and watch where yo put your feet. If having to walk through grassy country wear Gators that go up your knees. Ive been stuck at a couple of times in th last year.

dont poke it with a stick or throw rocks at it

snakes in the wild are protected and should not be harmed and to be honest can and will keep pests such as rats rabbits and small marsupials away from your grow and to me thats nothing but a good thing. Specially as you said it was sitting near a rabbit hole that tells me you already have rabbits around your patch, they can be one of the worst things for an outdoor grow as a pair of adults can go through a full size mature plant in a matter of days.

So my tip (and i know alot about snakes) is first of all carry a first aid kit every time you go with a good pressure bandage and look into snake bite first aid (im not saying they will bite you as majority of snakes will not strike out unless threatened or provoked, that includes the sticks and stones army :bongon:) now that you know what to do on the rare case you do get bitten is to go to your grow either at night or on dusk. A snake naturally does a few things like clockwork every day, one is to get warm and they will come out of their hides and bask for most of the day then as night comes and the temps drop they will either return to the hide or start to hunt. So you have 2 options you either go very early in the morn as the sun comes up but its still cold or at dusk as the temps drop.

Just to stress the first point our native snakes are amazing creatures and can help you during the growing season so dont fuck with them and they wont fuck with you

cheerz lol