greens medicinal marijuana policy

We could take a 'leaf' out of the Spanish Cannabis Clubs book perhaps . . . make that a suggestion as to how to get 'round illegal growing etc . . . just a thought ;)

they have got away with that because they're allowed to form groups that protect their interests provided it doesnt cause problems for the rest of society. they got the right to do so from a european convention on human rights which i believe will not apply to us even though it probably should considering our queen lives in england :P

this is by no means a finished job, its just a reduction of my bullshit ramble into something a little more useful lol i also haven't got to the medical conditions which cannabis can help treat, but as that wont really require any more help i figured i should post up the rest and get some feedback and suggestions :)

Medical Cannabis Policy

Overview:

This policy will show that the Australian government has failed not only it's citizens, but also it's international obligations by not allowing the cultivation and use of cannabis for medicinal purposes.

This policy in no way, shape or form condones the illicit cultivation and use of cannabis. They are viewed as both medical and legal issues that should be dealt with respectively.

Contents:

1) National and International law

2) National Agency

3) Possession

4) Cultivation

5) Harm Reduction

6) Medical problems cannabis can help treat

National and International law:

In Australia the medicinal cultivation and use of cannabis is a criminal offence which goes against it's international obligations as part of the United Nations. As part of the United Nations we signed The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs in 1961 which states:

"Recognizing that the medical use of narcotic drugs continues to be indispensable for the relief of pain and suffering and that adequate provision must be made to ensure the availability of narcotic drugs for such purposes."

Paragraph two, Preamble

"subject to the provisions of this convention, to limit exclusively to medical and scientific purposes the production, manufacture, export, import, distribution of, trade in, use and possession of drugs"

Article 4, General Obligation c)

"The parties shall adopt such measures as may be necessary to prevent the misuse of, and illicit traffic in, the leaves of the cannabis plant"

Article 28, Paragraph three

As such the recommendation of this policy is to immediately legalize cultivation and use of cannabis for medicinal uses. Making it illicit to do so goes against the very foundation of The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs which Australia signed almost fifty years ago.

National Agency:

In accordance with our international obligations as stated in Article 28 of The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs 1961, when a nation allows the cultivation of cannabis it must set up a government run agency to apply the system of controls as provided in article 23 respecting the control of the opium poppy. As such, the agency must:

a) The Agency shall designate the areas in which, and the plots of land on which, the cultivation of the opium poppy for the purpose of producing opium shall be permitted.

:P Only cultivators licensed by the agency shall be authorized to engage in such cultivation.

c) Each licence shall specify the extent of the land on which the cultivation is permitted.

d) All cultivators of the opium poppy shall be required to deliver their total crops of opium to the agency. The agency shall purchase and take physical possession of such crops as soon as possible, but not later than four months after the end of harvest.

e) the agency shall, in respect of opium, have the exclusive right of importing, exporting, wholesale trading and maintaining stocks other than those held by manufacturers of opium alkaloids, medicinal opium or opium preperations. Parties need not extend this exclusive right to medicinal opium and opium preperations.

In accordance with our obligations, medicinal patients with a licence to cultivate cannabis will not have to deliver their crop to the agency unless they extract and seperate the active compounds from the plant material. Resin and oil extractions will not count unless the active compounds are also seperated.

In accordance with the fifth obligation of the national agency and article 28 control three, licensed medicinal growers of cannabis will legally be able to import and export cannabis seeds. Making it illicit to do so goes against international law.

The agency shall introduce a voluntary identification card system. This will be done so that medicinal marijuana users, growers and their carers can prevent wrongful arrest and seizure of their medicine.

The agency shall establish state run medicinal cannabis farming to supply patients, who for one reason or another, cannot grow their own.

The agency shall establish state run non-profit cannabis pharmacies to dispense the cannabis to patients with a perscription or agency identification card. The same security checks must be made to prevent doctor shopping, stockpiling of medicine and black market access to medicinal marijuna.

The agency shall offer crop insurance to licensed growers for $5 per plant. Profits raised will be donated to public services of the cultivators choice such as schools, hospitals, roads, etc. and in the event a claim is made payment will be in the form of medicinal cannabis so the patient does not have to go without medicine.

Possession:

Possession limitations must be put in place to prevent any medicinal cannabis from entering the black market, but they must not impede on a patients need for the drug. These limitations can only be made by a doctor on a per patient basis because people with the same conditions will be effected differently when using cannabis. Placing overall limits on everyone who uses medicinal cannabis could end up being a cruel and unfair punishment to those who need it the most and as such this policy recommends:

1) Doctors will determine wether cannabis can be useful to their patients and then will perscribe the amount they deem necessary to treat the patient's needs.

2) Medicinal cannabis users who buy their medicine from the state run dispensaries will only be allowed to possess a one month supply at any given time

3) Cultivators of medicinal cannabis will be allowed a four month supply if it is grown indoors and upto twelve months if it is grown outdoors.

4) While their legal weight limits will be taken into consideration, patients caught with more than their legal possession amount will be subject to the criminal laws regarding recreational cannabis.

Cultivation:

This policy, with respect of our international obligations to prevent any medicinal marijuana entering the illicit trade, recommends the following:

1a) A nation wide limit of 100 plants per licensed cultivator

;) 10 plant tiers for a total of 10 tiers

2a) Plant numbers will be based on the patients needs and growing conditions

;) indoor grown plants are expected to yield 1-2 ounces of herbal cannabis every 4 months

c) outdoor grown plants are expected to yield 4-8 ounces of herbal cannabis every 12 months

d) cultivators must report their yields from every crop to the national agency to determine if they are in the correct tier level.

3) the following will not count towards plant numbers due to their inability to be used as medicine, but are vital to the success of a medicinal garden:

i) seeds

ii) unrooted cuttings

iii) male plants

IV) mother plants

4) Cultivators will legally be able to non-profitly trade seeds and cuttings between one another provided it does not put them over their limit.

5) In compliance with international obligations, licensed cultivators will submit to random inspections of their crop. This will happen twice a year and will be conducted to make sure the cultivator is not over their legal limit.

6a) Crop insurance will be mandatory at a price of $5 per plant.

lol This money will be non-refundable

c) In the event of theft or destruction, the state will provide the patient with medicinal cannabis until their next harvest is due

d) in the event no claim is made, the cultivator will decide on a public service for the money to be donated to wether its for schools, hospitals, drug education, etc.

Harm Reduction:

This policy regards the combustion and inhalation of any plant material, not just cannabis, as a health hazard. As such, this policy recommends that a harm reduction pamphlet be given to patients when they are first perscribed cannabis which lists:

1) The dangers of smoking

2) The dangers of mixing cannabis with tobacco

3) The mental health risks associated with consuming cannabis

4) safe consumption methods such as eating and vaporizing cannabis

When a patient applies for a license to grow their own medicine another harm reduction pamphlet should be issued dealing with such topics as:

1) flushing the plants before harvest

2) manicuring to improve the quality of their herbal cannabis

3) curing for a higher quality

4) crop protection

The police must also fully investigate any crop thefts. Failure to do so will put patients in harms way from people that wish to sell the medicine on the black market.

well that about covers what i have written so far. I know it has alot of work that needs doing so in an effort to make it better please nit pick over every detail and tell me what needs improvement :)

Blown away WDC that is excellent....

I still think that the growing of plants at home (at the present/near future) wont happen.

The liberals in WA are trying to make are cannabis laws even stricter, these people are very narrow minded.

A Co-Op system or non-profit organization and even a total run government dispensary options should be looked at.

Its no good having policies if they will never come to fruition......

A lot of people wont wont to live next to someone who grows, look at the propaganda on TV, the fuss they make

about the dangers, they have been made scared of this plant they wont want it next door.

How bout june for the yard and dec for the indoor

with alot of indoor grows shutting down over summer and june being after most outdoor plants are harvested, i dont really see that being a possibility.

I think the random checks are needed because patients will be legally able to grow as much as they need if my policy is implimented. The random checks would also help with complying with the international obligation to minimize the chances of any medicine ending up on the black market as the fear of getting busted would keep people within their limits.

To be honest though with the lower limits stated for the outdoor plants alot of bud could end up being sold. if the random check happened a few days before harvest you might have some issues explaining why your expected 4-8oz plants are 15-20ft monsters that look like they could yield 2lb or more each, but as each strain of cannabis is different as is the plants from the same strains an accurate estimation on yield is next to impossible until everything is harvested, manicured and dried :whistle: I also made a point of mentioning that if a patient yields far in excess of their needs a reduction in their allowed limits should apply. I think since the harvest weight has to be reported the agency should make it ok for the grower to possess their entire harvest so long as they accept the new plant numbers and use up most of their medicine before engaging in cultivation again :scratchin:

hi guys.... Good work! :D

Just to let you all know, I have "prescription" or License to possess and grow my own cannabis plants for medicine in Canada.

I carry one of the largest prescriptions for cannabis in our Country. The largest is two ounces or 56 grams a day for a gentleman who eats his all day and nite to alleviate severe Mental illness - YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT!!! For a MENTAL DISORDER!!! Tell me Canada isn't WAY ahead of the World when it comes to knowing about cannabis as medicine... :scratchin:

I am allowed to grow 137 plants indoors and something like 80 indoor and 30 outdoor (you get fewer due to larger yield), something like that. I changed my numbers to grow all indoor for now because of the Fall/Winter Season coming here in Canada and the FACT that I need an OUNCE a day, in smoked form, in tea and in edibles around the clock! :)

I have chronic progressive MS and still walk and talk just like everyone else thanx to the COPIOUS amounts of cannabis and other vitamins and minerals that I use daily and have for almost thirty years. I'm turning 45 in January... my BIGGEST problem for the last sixteen years has been a violent pain in my face called tic douloureux (the worst pain known to medicine) that I battle round the clock and have as I said for YEARS... :)

PLEASE consider asking your Government Officials for LARGER amounts of cannabis as we have to fight everything from bugs to robbers and RARELY if EVER have enough medicine in the end....

Goo luck and keep up the great work doll! :whistle:

Love and a squish,

Alison

xx

P.S WHY would you allow random checks on your Medical cannabis garden???? I STILL don't agree. NOONE checks my medicine cabinet! Couldn't people do the smae with their prescribed medicine? After all, there is a market for that stuff TOO...

Please keep that in mind...

My advice is try Canada's Medical Marijuana Access Regulations Program... We seem a little more compassionate in OUR Country than they do in the U.S.

Do your homework folks...

Ali

xx

Edited by Alison Myrden

I think the random checks are needed because patients will be legally able to grow as much as they need if my policy is implimented. The random checks would also help with complying with the international obligation to minimize the chances of any medicine ending up on the black market as the fear of getting busted would keep people within their limits.

To be honest though with the lower limits stated for the outdoor plants alot of bud could end up being sold. if the random check happened a few days before harvest you might have some issues explaining why your expected 4-8oz plants are 15-20ft monsters that look like they could yield 2lb or more each, but as each strain of cannabis is different as is the plants from the same strains an accurate estimation on yield is next to impossible until everything is harvested, manicured and dried :whistle: I also made a point of mentioning that if a patient yields far in excess of their needs a reduction in their allowed limits should apply. I think since the harvest weight has to be reported the agency should make it ok for the grower to possess their entire harvest so long as they accept the new plant numbers and use up most of their medicine before engaging in cultivation again :scratchin:

huh

im not really open to checks

i think that would be a serious invasion of privacy

not every 1 will be able to grow

i can think of 2 people id grow for,be provider for

i think if i had to purchase it for me wife

that would be tha end...

all tha best man

i dont care if i was growing 1 plant or 25

i wouldnt be open to checks i no that

take care

bil

You know WDC ive been of the opinion ppl need licenses to have/grow/use cannabis and by having such a license system that would have folks beleive the cannabis supply was controlled and monitored through this license system ... and a license system still gives the government the final say on who has license and whose license can be reviewed, withdrawn, or even cancelled.

The rest of this post is completely off topic :scratchin:

and this bullshit about international treaties etc , which is relevant i agree, but i just want to point out a couple of maybe irrelevant facts, the country who stood over other countries and made them sign these treaties dont actually abide by the said treaties all the time either .. but they expect us to!

and since 2002(bush and America) have become a state beyond laws that apply to the rest of the world community... so i say treaties drawn up by americans are not binding ever since america opted out of the Geneva Convention

example america now allows torture of human beings, something it hung Germans for at Nuremburg trials post-war..

why the fuck should we listen to america at all they have lost their way and are in decline, they have been totally corrupted by money and greed is par for the course

so on one hand we have america telling the world they must not allow cannabis to be used by citizens for whatever unknown reasons .. but the same pple who tell you that are torturing their fellow human beings on regular basis in hidden prisons

look at all the heroin coming outta Afghanistan and overdosing Aussies in syd and Melb and pple worldwide , who is interferring- occupying afghanistan? oh those fucking americans again and a few aussies tagging along with their friend?? then why is the heroin crop the biggest to come out of that country in the last 8 years?

i gotta stop this off-topic ranting :whistle: