greens medicinal marijuana policy

thanks everyone, your replies and PMs are exactly what i need :D

im currently researching what conditions can be treated, how much is needed, international laws that dictate to how such a program could come about and im in contact with a few people in the USA which are heavily involved with the medicinal community over there :D with any luck between the lot of us I should be able to come up with a decent policy which i'll be sure to put up in here as it progesses so we can all chip in and get it how we believe it should be :D

thanks again for everyone's help and support, its highly appriciated :D

Also get in contact with Phillipe Lucas of the Vancouver Island Compassion Society - lots of info online at their website.

Andrew Katelaris is also worth contacting. Justin Brash in Sydney, coffsmedcan, any other medical patients and advocates.

The woman from the Democrats who recently spoke on the topic in .. SA?

Americans for Safe Access. Steve Kubby and the guys behind 215 (lots of topical news on interpretation and implementation, Californian AG is trying to put in place policy to overcome grey areas of 215).

From my perspective I'd be very careful to get herbal cannabis recognised - it can be used safely with vapourisers, in food and drink, topicals such as cream and tincture. In fact wrt smoking I would point out that little to no harm has been demonstrated, likely due to anti-cancer, anti-oxidant and neural protective properties etc. but that there are many alternatives to smoking and in fact smoking is a result of prohibition, if it was legal very few would be smoking raw plant matter as there would be many alternatives and legal products.

And I'd try to give some certainty on who the gatekeeper should be - is it on prescription, ID card, subject to regular review or open ended...? Who's the most appropriate gatekeeper to supply it - pharmacists? Locally grown or imported shite? Quality control - mold, heavy metals etc. etc.

Definitly check out VICS for a shining example of how this can all work.

hey niall

One thing that I think you should try to stress is the mental health benefits that can be gained by growing your own medications, where ever possible. By taking an active role in producing their own medications, a patient is empowered, they are taking an active role in their own care, and giving them an opportunity to relieve the taxpayer of some of the financial burden of their care (these people aren't stupid, they know what it costs). Just the very act of following the cycle of plant growth, gives many people something to do, and their research into producing their own medications leads them to places like this. and as social isolation is probably one of the leading causes of depression and suicide amongst the long term disabled anything that can give them some power back, and some social interaction, even if only ever by a site like this is going to save not only an absolute fortune for the PBS, but I have no doubt whatsoever that it could save lives.

DUD :D

Edited by DownUnderDoper

The Democrat who spoke in the SA Parliament, her speech is here . . . SA Democrats Speech

and I mentioned same in my letter to Senator Siewert when I emailed her . . . and if you want a 'proof reader' I used to do that for Government flunkies all the time for their speeches, policies, media releases, Ministerials and the like not only within the Health Department, but the Police Department too! :D

Edited by Dragonfan

I just got an email from the greens after a short talk about marijuana and in particular medicinal marijuana and was asked to write up a rough draft policy regarding its use. to say the least im shocked, but in anycase its too good a chance to pass up so I would like some help if thats possible. I think all I will need to write up a fair policy will be what medical conditions marijuana treats for you and how much you need on a daily basis. I'm already biased when it comes to growing our own so i'll work out the plant numbers and the rest of it from your daily needs :D

If you have any suggestions feel free to share them as the more detailed this policy is the better :D

Hi WDC

It's great to see some pro active lobbying :D

The Greens will be looking for some authority to support any claims for the medical use of cannabis

This article gives references ...

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=19691

There are plenty of other posts in the medical cannabis forums which have references to medical journals etc.

Including Sandra Kanck's medical bill suggested by dragonfan and the QCCL submission posted by entheofarm would be useful.

Maybe direct them to this site .. other pollies are checking it out or so I heard :D

I think one MP quoted the medical cannabis disclaimer in their speech to parliament.

I have access to medical databases ... if there is a condition that you need more info on send me a PM.

Best wishes

grace :D

thanks everyone, the replies in this thread have been great :)

so far i have read most of the united nations bullshit regarding drugs which got this insomniac 14 hours of sleep last night :D considering i have been averaging 2-4 hours of sleep a night for the past month and only 4-6 hours for years, last nights effort was amazing :D

in anycase i can legally prove that australia isn't living upto its international obligations in regards to medicinal cannabis :D there are a few drawbacks im investigating at the moment, the main one being the government agency that must be setup in order to control cannabis. it states in the 1961 convention on narcotics that cannabis cultivation must be treated like opium cultivation and as such a government agency must be setup to issue grow licenses and upon harvest it has to purchase the entire crop from the grower -.- obviously there has to be a way around this hurdle as i have not heard about such an agency existing overseas, but even if there isnt a way around it, i can work with it:;)

I havent written any of the policy yet, all i have really come up with is an argument for legalizing medicinal marijuana as well as setting out limitations for the use and cultivation of the drug. It basically says that weight limititations set out by politicians are useless as it is a medical issue that should be dealt with by doctors, that people with the same conditions will be effected by cannabis differently and cannabis itself differs in yield and quality between individuals from the same species. so instead of outright plant and weight limitations that could leave a person short, their doctor will determine how much is needed and then a 3 month supply could be kept on hand for those who only consume the drug and those growing it should be allowed to have a 6-12 month supply depending on how the cannabis is grown.

I'll put up what i have written so far in the next day or 2. I just want to make sure i get most of the facts and figures right, but I have to say that while it would definately be a step in the right direction, knowing the australian government it would be a very tightly controlled medication, especially if all of the international laws stick :D about the best we could hope for is having cannabis treated like any other medication, eg. no bullshit hurdles to jump through and no special ID cards for consumers, but growing it yourself will be a different matter. we'll need to get licenses to grow it, we'll have to hand over the entire crop to the government run agency in charge and any excess over our limits would be confiscated by them too :D its all about only growing what is needed to prevent black market access which i can fully agree with, but it sure is a pain in the arse...

thanks everyone, the replies in this thread have been great :D

I just want to make sure i get most of the facts and figures right, but I have to say that while it would definately be a step in the right direction, knowing the australian government it would be a very tightly controlled medication, especially if all of the international laws stick :D about the best we could hope for is having cannabis treated like any other medication, eg. no bullshit hurdles to jump through and no special ID cards for consumers, but growing it yourself will be a different matter. we'll need to get licenses to grow it, we'll have to hand over the entire crop to the government run agency in charge and any excess over our limits would be confiscated by them too :D its all about only growing what is needed to prevent black market access which i can fully agree with, but it sure is a pain in the arse...

Hi WDC

These are the guidelines issued in California by AG to clarify the laws governing the possession, cultivation and sale of medical cannabis. California has had medical cannabis since Prop 215 was introduced in 1996 ... it may have some useful info to follow.

best wishes

grace

California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr

Issues Medical Marijuana Guidelines for Law Enforcement and Patients

News Release August 25, 2008

http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1601

Medical Marijuana Guidelines PDF

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/press/pdf...aguidelines.pdf

SACRAMENTO--California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. today released guidelines that, for the first time since California’s Proposition 215 was passed in 1996, clarify the state’s laws governing medical marijuana and provide clear guidelines for patients and law enforcement to ensure that medical marijuana is not diverted to illicit markets.

“California voters approved an initiative legalizing medical marijuana, not street drugs. Marijuana intended for medicinal use should not be sold to non-patients or on illicit markets,” Attorney General Brown said. “These guidelines will help law enforcement agencies perform their duties in accordance with California law and help patients understand their rights under Proposition 215.”

This landmark document marks the first attempt by a state agency to define the types of organizations that are legally permitted to dispense marijuana. Brown’s guidelines affirm the legality of medical marijuana collectives and cooperatives, but make clear that such entities cannot be operated for profit, may not purchase marijuana from unlawful sources and must have a defined organizational structure that includes detailed records proving that users are legitimate patients.

“We welcome the Attorney General’s leadership and expect that compliance with these guidelines will result in fewer unnecessary arrests, citations and seizures of medicine from qualified patients and their primary caregivers,” said Americans for Safe Access Attorney Joe Elford. “No one benefits from confusion over the law. These guidelines will help patients and law enforcement better understand California’s medical marijuana laws.”

In 1996, California voters approved Proposition 215, an initiative that exempted patients and their primary caregivers from criminal liability under state law for the possession and cultivation of marijuana. In addition, The Medical Marijuana Program Act (MMA), enacted by the Legislature in 2004, intended to further clarify lawful medical marijuana practices by establishing a voluntary statewide identification card system, specific limits on the amount of medical marijuana each cardholder could possess, and rules for the cultivation of medical marijuana by collectives and cooperatives. According to Americans for Safe Access, California has more than 200,000 doctor-qualified medial cannabis users.

Several law enforcement agencies have requested that the Attorney General issue guidelines regarding the lawful possession, sale and cultivation of marijuana for medicinal purposes. These law enforcement agencies believe that individuals and cartels, under the cover of Proposition 215, have expanded illegal cultivation and sales of marijuana, which has led to an increase in drug-related violent crime. Most researchers agree that the U.S. marijuana crop has seen a sharp increase in the past decade. A report, “Marijuana Production in the United States” by drug-policy researcher Jon Gettman, estimated that in 2006, more than 21 million pot plants were grown in California at a street value of up to $14 billion.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, President of the California Police Chiefs Association, praised Brown for establishing these guidelines. "Since Proposition 215 was passed, the laws surrounding the use, possession and distribution of medical marijuana became confusing at best. These newly established guidelines are an essential tool for law enforcement and provide the parameters needed for consistent statewide regulation and enforcement."

The guidelines encourage patients to participate in the California Department of Public Health’s registration program to obtain a medical marijuana identification card. The identification card protects the holder from arrest for marijuana possession and is one of the best ways to ensure the non-diversion of medical marijuana. Collectives and cooperatives are advised to keep files on their patients with documented verification of their qualified status.

A copy of the Guidelines is attached.

Medical Marijuana Guidelines

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/press/pdf...aguidelines.pdf

thanks for that grace :P

from what i just read it would appear the americans got past the need for a government agency by not making medicinal use and cultivation of cannabis legal, they just made it not a crime to do so ;) thats a bit of a grey area that should definately be investigated, but seeing as how i doubt the australian government will like the idea of people growing their own medicine virtually unregulated i'll write up 2 policies that are pretty much identical, the only difference will be governmental interference ;)