New grower, new to forums seeking advice

Hey all!

Love this site, full of great info and reading... however im still a complete noob lol

My first post here. Ive been trolling all the forums last couple of weeks, gathering and reading as much as I can soak in, not quite sure how to diagnose yet, all the pics ive seen so far of problems, well, some look similar, but I really have no idea.

Grow Setup:

600w Super HPS deluxe - sitting about 60cm/23inches above plants.

150mm intake fan - cheapy from bunnings. Running 24/7

150mm Centrifugal exhaust. Running 24/7

Medium= Righgro Organic potting soil / 30-40%Perlite.... PH is 6.5 or there abouts, tested a few times with different methods.

Temps: 75-81°F(23°C - 27°) during day at plant tops, 65°F-70°F(18°C - 21°C) at night.

Humidity: 45-65% Run a humidfier to keep these values. (fans suck the moisture out big time)

Nutes: So far only water with some Superthrive, and a tad bit of Rhizotonic. Will be starting Sensi Grow 2 Parts shortly.

Water: Tap water, reads 30ppm - pretty good quality imo, except PH, its around 7.8, I adjust it back down to around 6.4ish.

Watering Schedule: Think I overwatered them for first week or so, am now watering every 3-4days when top few inches are dry, also use a moisture meter, big pots even after 4 days tell me its "WET" middle and downwards? Give them enough water so it begins to leak out bottom, then stop.

Grow room dimensions: 1.2m x 1.2m x 2.0m (Grow tent)

2 smaller plants are actually older at about 5 weeks which doesnt sound good >:(, larger one is 3 1/2 weeks old since sprouting.

Problems that I can see: Leaves down lower are dying at tips/browing, generally leaves are curling up, yet some of the big fan leaves are drooping also? there are a few spots on leaves ( Ive been in there looking under leaves and all over, cant see any bugs) Also some leaf edges seem to be curling up (On sides) And lastly.... lol I guess some leaves look a bit pale.

Pics:

post-16845-1219146842_thumb.jpgpost-16845-1219146858_thumb.jpgpost-16845-1219146872_thumb.jpg

post-16845-1219146888_thumb.jpgpost-16845-1219146900_thumb.jpgpost-16845-1219146917_thumb.jpgpost-16845-1219146937_thumb.jpg

All plants are showing roughly the same problems, and 2 are older, yet way smaller(Havent really grown at all)

So, I guess im looking for any advice or enlightenment as how to turn these girls(hopefully?!) into better plants.

Looking foward to any replies or advice :)

Cheers,

Wrangler

lol Hi wrangler. How long ago did you reduce the watering? If the moisture meter says they are still wet after 4 days they don't need watering. It's best to let them dry out a bit between watering. When you water make sure you water the entire medium, I notice they are dry round the edges of the pots. Also in soil you dont need to add nutes, the mix will have enough food to get them started and hydro nutrients are best not used in soil at all. Just water them with straight water for now. Next time you water give them a decent flush to get rid of any excess nutrients in the medium. One last thing, do you have any gravel or clay balls in the bottom of the pots to help drainage?

Peace MongyMan

Hey Mongyman, thanks for reply.

As for changing reducing watering, that was about 14-15 days ago, they have had 3 waters since. And thats a no on the clay balls/gravel down the bottom lol Thought the perlite would be enough...

The sensi nutes came as a bonus when I ordered some grow stuff... no good for soil eh? cant use a weaker strength maybe? If not, any good soil nutes in Australia?

You think perhaps im still overwatering them? Killing them with to much love lol. I am relying on feeling the soil and the moisture meter(dont know how accurate they are) as I can't lift pots that easily due to a permanent injury ie: lifting pot when dry and wet to tell when it needs a water.. As for the dry patches in the pics, that wasnt a water, it was just from the spray bottle, gave em a srpay as the lights went off about 20mins before pics were taken... have only been spraying them once a week.

I wish I has gone a soiless mix in hindsight after reading a lot of posts on these forums, seems to be the way to go?

Oh, also.. the plants are 3.5 and 5 weeks old, when do you think they will be due for nutes, if any??

Thanks,

Wrangler

personally i think your ph is off. it would explain the slowed down growth rate and the colour of the plants lol

i have found that when growing in soil all the plant needs is tap water. that sounds totally retarded considering the pH should be adjusted and all that, but honestly the best results i have got in soil have been when i have used only straight tap water :)

if they were my plants i would give them a flush using only tap water and turn them to 12/12. they'd take about a week to recover at which point i would take some cuttings of each and then a week later they should be showing sex. those soil grown plants would then become my mothers and the cuttings would be grown in a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite as the growth rates whoop soil and the pH and nutrient levels are much easier to manage.

best of luck with those plants lol

Heya again,

Im confused, I went to the richgro site myself and tried to locate the soil I used, it wasnt there, im 100% sure it had no osmacote or the like in it.. yet its not listed anywhere... I got rid of the bag... will have to go back to the shop where I bought it to check.

So, you reckon just plain ol water (watering less than 4 days) give em a week or so, flip the lights over and take it from there, if females, take cuttings and plant in a better medium...

This is my first time, just a learning experience I guess.. The seeds came from bagseed, so mystery origin. I'd hope to buy some decent seeds from somewhere and get a decent strain going once ive learnt a thing or 2 lol

I'm like a kid again everytime I go to check on the plants, so exciting, but from what you guys say, soil grows sound like a leave and forget type deal, which doesnt appeal to me, I like a more involved process lol

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, i'll follow it and see how they go.

Cheers,

Wrangler.

So, you reckon just plain ol water (watering less than 4 days) give em a week or so, flip the lights over and take it from there, if females, take cuttings and plant in a better medium...

lol Thas is what I would do yea. Maby a week or two before you turn them but by then they should be coming back nicely.

I'm like a kid again everytime I go to check on the plants, so exciting, but from what you guys say, soil grows sound like a leave and forget type deal, which doesnt appeal to me, I like a more involved process :)

lol I know what you mean Wrangler and yes soil is less hands on than other mediums.

Peace MongyMan