abit of help about CFL's

Ive seen CFL buds under 200watts, and they were big!... not as big as HPS, but still big.

yes, finally some1 that has seen the light ;) fluro light that is ;) fluros are the option u have if your space u r growing in is to small for the heat of an HID

Are you sure about that TD. I first started with fluro's before HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights were available. The first HID light I got my hands on was a mercury vapor light and it was usless. It grew scrawny stretched plants that reversed sex after growing even scrawnier stretched buds. From my experience, yes you can grow with fluro's but they dont even come close to what you can do if you grow under MH (Metal Halide) or HPS (High Pressure Sodium) HID lights.

Peace MongyMan

im almost 100% sure that fluorescent lights use mercury vapor to Emmit infra-red light and the coating on the inside of the bulb changes the visible spectrum. a simple sign of technology changing from the not so efficient M.V. lamp to the super efficient fluro tubes and CFL's.

also mongy i know what HID stands for ^_^ but thanks for the answer in brackets lol as for the merc vapor light u used, how many watts was it ? the intensity of the merc vapor bulb compared to a fluro tube is significant so i cant understand y u never liked them.

kk people got some pretty good news well so far pretty good wuld be even better if i new what kind of bulb it was............kk went back home (near camden) and found this massive box thing. i new it was a light but never took to much notice of it as b4 i was never into growing an so on. now that im like interested in what lighting i need 2 gather i thought to open the fucker up and see what light it has. i always thought it was like 2 or 3 fluro'z but i was dead wrong. i dnt have a camera 2 take fotoz. but ill best explain it to you and show pictures of what it look likes.

1st off it has a lil plate that is rivetted on similar to the compliance plates found in car engine bays and it says

Model: Starglow

Volts: 240v

Hz: 50HZ

Watts: 250w

Type: MH FR

Start: 2.21 a

Run: 1.3a

Rating: H.P.F.

thats the plate from a company called Wadco.

http://www.wadco.com.au/gen4.jpgthis is what the "starglow" looks like

the bulb on the inside has printed on it:

R250

multi-vapor

mvr250/u/40

made in usa

http://www.servicelighting.com/catpics/ge/43828.jpg 400 watt ED37 Mogul E39 Base Multi-Vapor Metal Halide GE Light Bulb

click here for more information on this bulb

this bulb looks identical to mine.......only difference is mine is 250w and that one is a 400w.

Edited by n3dic

yes, finally some1 that has seen the light ;) fluro light that is ;) fluros are the option u have if your space u r growing in is to small for the heat of an HID

lol I agree with you 100% TD. I use floro's still for just that reason and the fact that they grow smaller plants in a given time period than would be the case with HID lights which suits a small space perfectly where you dont want them growing too big.

im almost 100% sure that fluorescent lights use mercury vapor to Emmit infra-red light and the coating on the inside of the bulb changes the visible spectrum. a simple sign of technology changing from the not so efficient M.V. lamp to the super efficient fluro tubes and CFL's.

;) Thanks TD, that makes sence. The MV light I used didn't have the coating on the inside of the glass like the fluro's, I assume that must be what makes the difference in spectrum.

also mongy i know what HID stands for ;) but thanks for the answer in brackets ;)

^_^ Sorry if it came across as condecending. I assumed you probably know more about lights and how they work than me was I asked about the MV light I used. The explination of HID etc was for the benefit of any noobs that might be wondering what it means. The abreviations get used alot and most know what they mean but it's a question that gets asked often in chat.

as for the merc vapor light u used, how many watts was it ? the intensity of the merc vapor bulb compared to a fluro tube is significant so i cant understand y u never liked them.

:( It was a 400w. It had the intensity no worries but it was the totaly wrong spectrum for growing plants.

Peace MongyMan

lol Thanks TD, that makes sence. The MV light I used didn't have the coating on the inside of the glass like the fluro's, I assume that must be what makes the difference in spectrum.

your merc vapor lamp should have had a very thin coating of phosphor on the inside of the outer bulb. even without any phosphor coating a merc vapor bulb will still produce blue visible spectrum colour. the phosphor coating helps balance the blue to red ratio, when it works properly u get white.

post-15885-1219035478_thumb.png

lol Sorry if it came across as condescending. I assumed you probably know more about lights and how they work than me was I asked about the MV light I used. The explanation of HID etc was for the benefit of any noobs that might be wondering what it means. The abbreviations get used alot and most know what they mean but it's a question that gets asked often in chat.

nar u dont come off condescending, i kinda come off as an asshole :)

n3dic u have a 250watt metal halide light with a cover, on start up it will use 2.21 amps and standard operating current is rated at 1.3 amps. remove the cover when u use it. u shouldn't feel the heat from the bulb after about 20cm

[EDIT] it was bugging me for a little while, so i did some eating and i know where these lights are used, on the outside of most Macdonald's ( check the drive thru aswel, i went to 2 stores ) u will find these types of lights, sometimes they are HPS but most of the time there MH. some of the lights dont have covers on them, so in the day time if u have some balls on u, get a mate to boost u up and unscrew the fucker, free bulbs.

Edited by TD.

hey TD. thanks for all your effort and knowledge very appreciated. these lights u speak of at macca'z. where abouts are they??? like they inside the drive thru sign (you know how they light up at night time) or is it just a light mounted on the wall of the maccas restraunt? lol wuldnt mind to go check out my local maccas. once again to everyone who has posted here thank you all.

quick update.........ive now germinated all my 30 seeds or shuld i say in the procedure of germinating them. ive got like little groups of seeds that are germinating all different ways. my 1st attempt failed. so i thought if i try all the techniques ill have a better chance 2 get sum 2 sprout. they are sitting in side my cupbaord in a yates humidity box thing. the temp inside there is at a constant 26-28oC. thats some good temp dnt youz agrees? got 6 planted its been like 7 days on them and they still havent shot up, sigh. i got a bundle in water that will be planted tonight when i get home from poker as the dude sed let them sit from 12 hrs then plant them in moist soil.

sigh other peoples grow are so quick and happy and so cheery if thats a word.

mine is like dull and lame and fail and not working muthafucker seeds!!!

cheers guys

EDIT btw TD on the light chart u posted up u have that lil box saying good for flowering and its like right next to the haligens???

ive red up so much about how haligens are bad for growing bla bla bla.........confused? wish i culd have someone like come ere look at my set up and say ok mate this this and this is fucked put it that way swap this wit that and BOOYA ur up and running..........i found with anything best way to learn stuff is in a practical way or getting showen how to do something.......theres only so much u can read (h8 reading btw)

thanks again fellow memebers =D

Edited by MongyMan

hey TD. thanks for all your effort and knowledge very appreciated. these lights u speak of at macca'z. where abouts are they??? like they inside the drive thru sign (you know how they light up at night time) or is it just a light mounted on the wall of the maccas restraint?

there on the outside of the building, there should be an awning that spans just under a meter from the wall the entire way around the restaurant. it keeps u dry when its raining and your leaning up against the building, anyway there are lights attached to the underside of the awning. steal them

EDIT btw TD on the light chart u posted up u have that lil box saying good for flowering and its like right next to the halogens???

ive red up so much about how halogens are bad for growing bla bla bla.........

notice how the box that says good for flowering is written in red and good for vegging is written in blue. red light is good light for flowering blue light is good for vegging. so something around the 2000*K - 3000*K is good for flowering and something in the 4000*K - 25000*K is good for vegging.

Edited by TD.

stick to CFL's, HID's get too hot for a small space... amateurs always blow themselves up by greasing up the bulbs with their slippery little fingers.

If you grease that pig of a bulb, and you turn it on, the oil from your finger will ignite and take your damn head off.

if your new to growing indoors, CFL three letters Ill spell it again... C F L

use a cat tray as a flood tray, and have pots with soil, and you can expect good results for a small space.